Sign in with
Your question

Opinions about this new build?

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2011 12:54:20 AM

Hiya everyone , i am currently in the middle of making a pc build and need some help with it.

currently i have everything (i think) but the motherboard i was thinking of getting a MSI Z68A-G45(B3)

Basicly, i want good hardware for as low price as possible, a friend of mine recommended Asus P8P67 LE As it would fit best in my budget. Would like some opinions about that.
Would it be possible to use a SSD with these motherboard?

Here is a list of the parts i have chosen also my budget is £580
Component list

due to personal circumstances budget got lowered to £550

I was wondering if all those parts are compatible and if the motherboard also supports SSD

This is my first time building a pc.

I'm trying to save as much money as possible as I'm already over budget.
Should i take the MSI or the Asus board or maybe a whole different one?
I don't know the difference between these two motherboards, and what the difference would be performance-wise, please enlighten me.

More about : opinions build

a c 235 V Motherboard
August 25, 2011 1:51:20 AM

You should provide your list of selected components because the link that you provided requires a login.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2011 8:30:28 PM

Fixed the link for the components. I am still in need of help
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 25, 2011 10:19:29 PM

You can use a SSD with both motherboards (and with almost any motherboard). Performance of both motherboards will be very similar. Do you need the additional Z68 features?
m
l
August 25, 2011 10:51:19 PM

GhislainG said:
You can use a SSD with both motherboards (and with almost any motherboard). Performance of both motherboards will be very similar. Do you need the additional Z68 features?

what exacly are the Z68 features ?
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 25, 2011 11:08:10 PM

Z68 features

- Supports SSD Caching, but you may not care about it.

- Quicksync for faster transcoding.

- HD3000 onboard GPU. You're buying a discrete video card, but if it fails, you could use the onboard GPU.
m
l
August 25, 2011 11:47:41 PM

GhislainG said:
Z68 features

- Supports SSD Caching, but you may not care about it.

- Quicksync for faster transcoding.

- HD3000 onboard GPU. You're buying a discrete video card, but if it fails, you could use the onboard GPU.

im not too bothered about it , i only have £50 left on my budget and i still need a cpu cooler and motherboard , do you know a way to cut down a little so i can fit it inside my budget ?

i still want the i5 2500k so im not changing that
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 1:16:26 AM

If you're buying a retail i5-2500k, then you don't need a CPU cooler unless you plan on overclocking. Can't that wait until you can afford it? Where will you buy the motherboard? How much is the Asus P8P67 LE?
m
l
August 26, 2011 1:32:21 AM

GhislainG said:
If you're buying a retail i5-2500k, then you don't need a CPU cooler unless you plan on overclocking. Can't that wait until you can afford it? Where will you buy the motherboard? How much is the Asus P8P67 LE?

i am planning on overclocking and the Asus P8P67 LE i am buying from scan.co.uk for £74.52
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 2:19:46 AM

smexydude666 said:
i am planning on overclocking and the Asus P8P67 LE i am buying from scan.co.uk for £74.52

It's obvious you haven't done your homework on this. That Asus board and over clocking is what's called an "oxymoron". Whenever you see the letters "LE" on the end of the name of an Asus board, it means it's a board that's had it's testicles removed. You have google, look at some reviews of that Asus board, and then google some reviews of this Asrock board down below.

This board down below will mop the floor with that Asus board in regards to over clocking.

http://www.ebuyer.com/267321-asrock-p67-pro-socket-1155... £74.36 inc. vat Free Delivery
Asrock P67 PRO Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 2:25:06 AM

The Asus P8P67 LE is the least expensive P67 motherboard. It already is over your budget, but you don't have much of a choice. Limit your overclocking until you can afford a better cooler.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 2:38:05 AM

Why_Me said:
It's obvious you haven't done your homework on this. That Asus board and over clocking is what's called an "oxymoron". Whenever you see the letters "LE" on the end of the name of an Asus board, it means it's a board that's had it's testicles removed. You have google, look at some reviews of that Asus board, and then google some reviews of this Asrock board down below.

This board down below will mop the floor with that Asus board in regards to over clocking.

http://www.ebuyer.com/267321-asrock-p67-pro-socket-1155... £74.36 inc. vat Free Delivery
Asrock P67 PRO Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
If the OP can buy from that site, then he should definitely consider that motherboard. A couple components might also be less expensive at ebuyer.com.
m
l
August 26, 2011 3:55:14 AM

GhislainG said:
If the OP can buy from that site, then he should definitely consider that motherboard. A couple components might also be less expensive at ebuyer.com.

yea i dont see why i wouldn't be able to buy from there, also find a nice case on there i liked more than the one they had one scan

oke here is updated list of the computer

Scan Basket

E-buyer Basket

this totals to around £600

any opinions on this would be appreciated especially on the mobo because i have never heard of that make so im not too keen on it.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 12:07:53 PM

ASRock build quality motherboards. Unfortunately you need to understand that for £75 you can't get a high-end motherboard.

If you need/want the additional features available on the Asus motherboard (eSATA, USB 3.0, Firewire and Crossfire support), then buy it from scan.co.uk because eBuyer sell it for £103. You could also look at the ASRock P67 PRO3 SE. Same price as the P67 PRO, but different features. To be honest, none will be a great overclocker.

Don't read reviews about the ASRock P67 PRO3 as that's a different and more expensive motherboard. The P67 PRO3 is an excellent motherboard that isn't available at eBuyer. The ASRock might overclock a bit better than the Asus, but I haven't found clear evidence of that because of the lack of reviews. Most reviews are for the PRO3 and they don't directly apply to the less expensive PRO.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 12:17:57 PM

GhislainG said:
ASRock build quality motherboards. Unfortunately you need to understand that for £75 you can't get a high-end motherboard.

If you need/want the additional features available on the Asus motherboard (eSATA, USB 3.0, Firewire and Crossfire support), then buy it from scan.co.uk because eBuyer sell it for £103. You could also look at the ASRock P67 PRO3 SE. Same price as the P67 PRO, but different features. To be honest, none will be a great overclocker.

Don't read reviews about the ASRock P67 PRO3 as that's a different and more expensive motherboard. The P67 PRO3 is an excellent motherboard that isn't available at eBuyer. The ASRock might overclock a bit better than the Asus, but I haven't found clear evidence of that because of the lack of reviews. Most reviews are for the PRO3 and they don't directly apply to the less expensive PRO.

wth ? I posted the Asrock Pro 3 which is available at ebuyer...it's about two post above. You want that board, and not the Asrock Pro3 SE which is a gutless over clocker.

As far as reviews on that asrock board....

http://www.ebuyer.com/267321-asrock-p67-pro-socket-1155... <---- This is the board I posted up above, now why would you tell this guy not to read reviews on it?

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&site=... <---- reviews of that board...the same board I linked to on ebuyer.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 1:12:39 PM

Your eBuyer link is for the ASRock P67 PRO (Value series) as they don't sell the P67 PRO3 (Mainstream series). However they sell the Asrock Z68 PRO3 for £93 which should be as good as the P67 PRO3.

I checked ASRock.com to see the differences betwen the P67 PRO and the P67 PRO3. They look similar, but they are not the same motherboard. The main visual differences are the VRM heatsinks and other components in that area (better on the PRO3), the location of the ATX CPU connector, no USB 3.0 connector on the PRO, etc.

Unfortunately your google link also is for the PRO3 which, I agree, is an excellent motherboard. I just want the OP to understand that he can't rely on the PRO3 reviews as they don't directly apply to the PRO.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 1:16:37 PM

GhislainG said:
Your eBuyer link is for the ASRock P67 PRO (Value series) as they don't sell the P67 PRO3 (Mainstream series). However they sell the Asrock Z68 PRO3 for £93 which should be as good as the P67 PRO3.

I checked ASRock.com to see the differences betwen the P67 PRO and the P67 PRO3. They look similar, but they are not the same motherboard. The main visual differences are the VRM heatsinks and other components in that area (better on the PRO3), the location of the ATX CPU connector, no USB 3.0 connector on the PRO, etc.

Unfortunately your google link also is for the PRO3 which, I agree, is an excellent motherboard. I just want the OP to understand that he can't rely on the PRO3 reviews as they don't directly apply to the PRO.

My bad. They don't have that board in the US...at least Iv'e never seen it and I took it for granted it was the Pro3.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 26, 2011 1:31:08 PM

Until I checked on ASRock.com, I also presumed that 3 meant revision 3 or something like that. Between the Asus and the ASRock, the Asus might be the better one.
m
l
!