Status
Not open for further replies.

Guthar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
So I bought and installed a amdx4 965 BE. I'm using the stock heatsink/fan that it came with. I've installed coretemp and I have been monitoring the temp for a few hours now.

Idle it runs at about 44c. Now while I'm typing this its running at 47c. However I just got done playing BF3 on ultra and it was running at 51-53c.

The tjmax according to coretemp is 99c. However I'm still a little worried. Should I be? I'm new to building PCs and I'm worried maybe that its running a little to hot. Would like to know what everyone thinks about this.

If my cpu will be fine running at these temps, I'm fine with it. If not can you please point me in the direction of a good heatsink/fan for this.

Solution
If you've been running your CPU that hot for a long time, it probably doesn't have much life left in it. If this is a recent problem, you may still get a couple of years out of it, kind of depends on how good your luck is. Are you sure the heatsink is mounted properly? The push pins on the intel heatsinks tend to be a bit tricky. The cooler is probably loose. Usually, I put the intel heatsinks on while the motherboard is outside of the case, that way I can check the underside and make sure all the push pins have gone through completely. If the cooler is properly fitted, and you don't intend to upgrade to a new system for a long time to come, definitely get an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise, your CPU will probably die on you some time in...
AMD CPUs are less tolerant to high temperatures than the Intel CPUs. 70 is acceptable for an Intel CPU. For AMD CPUs it is not recommended that you go above 60 degrees celsius. That said, if your temperature monitors are accurate you are fine with a 51 to 53 degree load temperature. That's pretty good for the stock cooler.

That is a pretty bad temperature. I suggest you clean any and all dust from your computer's vents, fans, and your CPU cooler. You may also want to remove the cooler, clean it and the top of the CPU and apply new thermal paste. 93 degrees is a very bad load temperature, just below the point where you trip the emergency shutdown trigger. Running your CPU that hot for an extended period will cause damage. It may not cause the CPU to die immediately, but it will drastically shorten its life.

Des123

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I've already reapplied thermal paste and cleaned out the heat sink i have no idea what else i can do other than buy a aftermarket heat sink. And when you say shorten its life how long are we talking here? because i've had this cpu for about 4 years

If you've been running your CPU that hot for a long time, it probably doesn't have much life left in it. If this is a recent problem, you may still get a couple of years out of it, kind of depends on how good your luck is. Are you sure the heatsink is mounted properly? The push pins on the intel heatsinks tend to be a bit tricky. The cooler is probably loose. Usually, I put the intel heatsinks on while the motherboard is outside of the case, that way I can check the underside and make sure all the push pins have gone through completely. If the cooler is properly fitted, and you don't intend to upgrade to a new system for a long time to come, definitely get an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise, your CPU will probably die on you some time in the foreseeable future, and then you're going to have to upgrade whether you like it or not. Either that, or go digging around the secondary market for a replacement Core 2.

Solution

Des123

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Just moved it around a little bit found a loose pin hopefully this will solve my problem. And if im going to lift the heatsink of how long can i leave the paste exposed before having to replace?

For optimum cooling performance it is recommended you replace the thermal paste every time you remove and reattach the cooler. The problem with using the existing thermal paste is dust and particulates can get in there and interfere with cooling. Air bubbles can also form if you don't reapply the paste before reattaching the cooler.

Guthar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I got up to 57c at the most while playing BF3 @ ultra settings everything on max. The stock fan is really loud. I've read alot of reviews on my cpu and they all say its loud. So I assume I'm fine. I was thinking about getting a aftermarket heatsink. Can someone point me in a good direction. I'm on a budget. So the cheaper the better.

Des123

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

The Hyper 212+ is a great "bang for buck" aftermarket cooler. Most people recommend it

cbrunnem

Distinguished

your cpu is fine do worry about it. i series laptop cpus regurally see 90* temps and to the best of my knowledge they are the same design as there desktop counter parts yet the desktops can only withstand up to 70* degrees safely??? some isnt right right there.

dont sweat those temps but is great you got them down.

Guthar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I've done alot of searching on these forums and I've found a few threads with people saying that 50's are to high for my cpu (965)

here is a screenshot of my info.

http://i.imgur.com/EU22b.jpg

That is basically idle temps. When I play BF3 even on high settings it gets to 58c. I haven't seen it go above 58c though. Is this going to effect my cpu in the longhaul? Should I bother getting a new heatsink? Or should I just stop worrying.

Those are acceptable, if slightly high idle temps. Since your gaming load is only hitting 58 degrees you should be okay with the stock cooler. If you want the peace of mind, you could get an aftermarket cooler, but it isn't absolutely vital to do so. If you want to try overclocking, definitely get an aftermarket cooler, the stock coolers aren't good enough for overclocking.

Guthar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Thank you so much. I've been stressing all day. Haha I was going to go to bed like an hour ago, but I got to thinking about doing some more searching. Thanks for all your help. You really did ease me alot. I will stick with what I got for now, I game for maybe 4 hours a day total, I have breaks in between though. So I just hope since I'm very poor that everything continues to work. The computer I built is very nice right now and I hope to keep it that way for awhile. Thanks again :)

Guthar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
EDIT: ok so i opened my case. and Apperently one of the clamps wasn't down all the way. its still idling at 47c though. going to test BF3. hopefully this fixes it... even if it stays at mid 50s ill be ok.

Guthar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Ok... now I feel really stupid. I'm not one to make mistakes on installing things... But I guess I was to much in a hurry to get it running. What I did was there is this latch on my heatsink that clips in. Well it was clipped. and the latch was down. But it was down on the wrong side. Now my cpu is idling at like 43-46c and running bf3 @ 53c max. I'm much happier. OHHHH by the way... its not anywhere near as loud as it was before..... that makes me happy! because before it sounded like a small vacumm cleaner.... Anyway thanks again guys for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS