Sign in with
Your question

MSI gtx 560 twin frozr 2 100c (temp) Safe?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2011 8:32:37 AM

I play shogun 2 total war at low settings and i get 100 degrees celcius .. that is like 130 degrees farenheit , but i usually play 2-3 hours and i have the 2 fans on the card at 95%. I don't understand why its reaching these temps. I believe it started happening after getting the latest Nvidia drivers 3 weeks ago or so. Is it safe for my card (big heatsink and dual fans) to be at that temperature? Plus i have a card for PhysX (9800 GTX+) so my main card isn't taking the whole load. MSI GTX 560 twin frozr 2, just look at the card its built to be cool..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... anyone got an answer for me?
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 8:57:40 AM

GPU's usually don't get into trouble until they hit around 110C.

However, a twin Forzor running at 100C is VERY wrong. Did you possibly do something that loosened the heatsink?

I had a 9800GT once that used to run at a constant 100C, and the problem was that a sub-par thermal paste used in a repair had dried off.
m
l
a c 127 U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 9:50:30 AM

Yeah. 100C is outside spec (99C max) for that card. The Twin Frozer cooling solution should keep your card cooler than reference.

If that's a new card or it's still under warranty, I'd look into returning/exchanging/RMAing it.

Just to give you a point of comparison, I've been gaming with my reference 580s (reference cooling) with the new drivers with no heat problems and they are directly next to each other on my motherboard. My temps max out in the low 90Cs at GPU loads in the high 90%s.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 10:11:02 AM

Hmm seems like theres somthing wrong with the card, a gtx 560 should be able to run shogun 2 at near max settings + the card shouldnt be anywhere near that temp even under extream load.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 1:23:58 PM

For starters, 100 Celsius is 212 Fahrenheit, not 130. Now that that is clear, yes that is way too to for that card. The card is likely clogged with dust, or your case has terrible airflow. Clean any dust out of the card and run you computer with the side panel off to see if it lower the temperature. Also, make sure you are not overclocking or over volting the card. If you are overclocking with MSI afterburner, set it back to defaults.
m
l
June 23, 2011 4:52:15 AM

I underclocked it to a reference 560 to see if the temperature would cool down some. Really didn't make a difference. When i first got the card months ago, i was playing shogun 2 and it reached 85c max under ultra settings. Now on low settings its reaching 100c .. wtf lol . I clean my computer internally every few weeks.. its very clean. I have a good full tower case with 7x 120mm fans. I bought the card when it came out months ago and nothing wrong with it, just gets really hot and i don't want it to burn out. I am puzzled.. could it be the DirectX 11 update for shogun 2 - making it get so hot? It was running cooler before it. It looks really complicating to open this card up and clean it.. so many screws, i do know how to clean video cards from experience. I might just have to try to clean it from the outside since its an open card kinda and if that doesn't work i might just play shogun 2 on directx 9 and do some tests. Lord knows how much i love my card :D .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2011 5:09:51 PM

blink180heights said:
I underclocked it to a reference 560 to see if the temperature would cool down some. Really didn't make a difference. When i first got the card months ago, i was playing shogun 2 and it reached 85c max under ultra settings. Now on low settings its reaching 100c .. wtf lol . I clean my computer internally every few weeks.. its very clean. I have a good full tower case with 7x 120mm fans. I bought the card when it came out months ago and nothing wrong with it, just gets really hot and i don't want it to burn out. I am puzzled.. could it be the DirectX 11 update for shogun 2 - making it get so hot? It was running cooler before it. It looks really complicating to open this card up and clean it.. so many screws, i do know how to clean video cards from experience. I might just have to try to clean it from the outside since its an open card kinda and if that doesn't work i might just play shogun 2 on directx 9 and do some tests. Lord knows how much i love my card :D .

No no no... i have gtx 560 twin frozr oc II in SLi in an antec 1200 case

I run games at High/max settings @ 1920x1080 on a 27''. The highest my cards have been are 75C... and thats if i keep the door in the room closed.

Get some duster and blow through the heatsink... if that doesnt work, open up your case side panel to let some heat out. If that helps, check your fans to make sure they are pointing the right directions.. Usually front/side fans blow in and Rear/top fans blow out.

If that doesnt help, you probably need to check to see if you had enough Thermal paste or even if there was some applied. Long story short, my brother-in-law was asking me why his CPU was running at 100C idle.........no thermal paste.

If that doesnt help... RMA!

I did add a few more fans blowing in of course and i do run the fans at 100% the whole time i play games.. which is 2-3 hours depending on the game.
m
l
June 25, 2011 9:53:47 PM

yes well my card hasn't been opened at all since i bought it i have cleaned the dust off the heat sink and fans once but my tower's airflow is awesome, side 4 side fans/ 1 front fan.. 2 rear exhaust blowing out... i usually have the air conditioner in my room on also so maximum air flow. My card doesn't crash though even at 100c .. if its not broken then don't fix it .. last time i broke something that didn't need fixing lol. so i don't wanna take the chance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2011 11:42:35 PM

What case do you have? A top fan would be a nice addition. Majority of mid/full tower's have them. If you dont have any put one... or mod your case :pt1cable:  its fun!

That is good it doesnt crash, but 100c is still hot for 1 card.

If you refer to my picture the cards are split. Even when i crammed them together for a x16x16 sli, the top card only reached 85c +/-.

is your 9800gtx spaced from the 560?
m
l
June 26, 2011 11:56:58 PM

no they are crammed barely any space between them, due to the mobo layout
m
l
June 27, 2011 12:43:11 AM

The temps you get are way to high.A have the 560ti hawk and my max temps are 75 degrees but that depends to many things.You should have max 80c with the twin frozr cooler.
What case do you have?
How many fans do you have and what is the setup of them?
Last try with the side panel open and see what happens.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 1:19:18 AM

blink180heights said:
no they are crammed barely any space between them, due to the mobo layout

*Channels Jaime Hyneman from Mythbuasters* Well, there's your problem.

I assume the GTX 560 is the top card. If so, the fans are blocked from sucking in air, and the air it gets is hot air from the back of the 9800 GTX+. Get rid of it. Just have the 560 do physx too. There will be little performance loss. Next time use a little common sense and you will be able to figure out the problem yourself. :pfff: 
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:40:38 AM

orangegator said:
*Channels Jaime Hyneman from Mythbuasters* Well, there's your problem.

I assume the GTX 560 is the top card. If so, the fans are blocked from sucking in air, and the air it gets is hot air from the back of the 9800 GTX+. Get rid of it. Just have the 560 do physx too. There will be little performance loss. Next time use a little common sense and you will be able to figure out the problem yourself. :pfff: 

Funny thing is the second card is actually stopping the 560 ti from vibrating which makes annoying sounds. Could i put the first card in the second card slot but still use it by itself as the primary card?
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:45:27 AM

what happened was that i screwed it in too hard and the screw hole got messed up so i can't get it tight. That's why it vibrates so i had to put a foam between my 2 cards .. and it actually stops the vibrating on my 560. So if i take out my second card then the vibrating begins.. can i use my primary card in the secondary slot by itself? Then it would be tight enough to not vibrate..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 12:32:48 PM

Lmao! You put foam between the two cards! Thats hilarious. No wonder your temps are so high. No air induction. If it won't tighten get a thicker screw, like a fan screw. I am assuming your first slot runs at x16 and your second slot runs at x8. What is your mobo anyway? If you did put it in the second slot it should work. But try to find a thicker screw first. Even with the cards crammed together and removing that foam your temps should go down. Find a nut and bolt combo. That should keep it tight.
m
l
June 29, 2011 12:27:36 PM

so yea.. i took out my second card and just let my primary run and its very cool now.. thanks for the advice guys
m
l
!