Laptop cannot connect to router (wifi and ethernet)

Hi,
I have a friend who's having issues with his laptop. His Acer laptop is able to connect wired and wirelessly at our school's internet which uses a proxy, however he's having problems connecting his laptop at home since last week. It was able to connect without problems before that....I went to his house a while ago and was able to connect mine. I tried using the troubleshooter and it said a problem about the network access and router and that I should reset it. However, no matter how many times we tried it still didn't work. I turned the WPA key off and tried connecting the ethernet cable directly to the laptop but to no avail. I also tried reinstalling the drivers for the wi-fi and it still doesn't work. It shows up an error saying "Windows cannot connect to xxxxx". He's using Windows 7 Ultimate by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about laptop connect router wifi ethernet
  1. Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

May different on Windows 7 -- but I'm sure you can improvise.
  2. I have checked those parts and they are already set to that option. Still not working.
  3. bump
  4. I suspect the key to the problem is the fact that the computer happily connects at a site using a proxy. I would have thought that resetting TCP/IP properties to defaults would have solved that, but clearly not. You may have to look for another setting to do with that, but I confess I haven't found it.
  5. I think I know where the problem is. We installed a 32-bit Windows 7 OS in his laptop, but we used 64-bit drivers for the hardware because Acer didn't provide 32-bit versions for these, although I'm not quite sure how to explain the fact that it worked inside the school campus with a proxy on, and not at home without the proxy.
  6. I'm not sure why it worked at all with the wrong drivers !
  7. Lol. I only read on the internet that 64-bit Operating systems can't work with 32-bit drivers, but I can't find results regarding 32-bit Operating systems installed with 64-bit drivers. All the other hardware like the touchpad, bluetooth, and chipset work properly, only the LAN and WLAN seem to be experiencing problems.
  8. Possible the touchpad, bluetooth found drivers within Windows7. I was surprised how well 7 coped with video card which always needed a maker's driver in XP -- but 7 couldn't make the Realtek sound chip work, nor a Soundblaster when that was installed.

Win 7 should have had no prob with a wired LAN card -- but wireless cards are a problem -- few drivers are being written for older models.
  9. I don't think the laptop was an old one. It's running on an AMD triple-core processor.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Laptops Connection Networking