What's a good modular PSU between 850-950w?

What would be a good PSU (modular) for a system that has:

1TB WD Caviar Black Sata II
300GB Velociraptor WD SATA II
SSD (SATA III) 120GB (Windows 7 and Drivers)
12GB or 16GB RAM (GSKILL)
Asus gen3 deluxe
i7-2600K (might or might not o/c...I saw I might but I never do)
Auzen Forte XFI
Z5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
CM Heatsink/fan
GTX570 (maybe SLI but might be overkill for 24" LG 1080p LCD or just one and wait till the new video cards come out)

I was looking at Corsair PSUs PC Power and Cooling. Is 850w enough? 900?
7 answers Last reply
More about what good modular 950w
  1. For a system running with two GeForce GTX 570 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum 800 Watt or greater power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps or greater and with at least four 6-pin PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors.

    The Corsair Professional Series HX850W PSU, with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and six 6+2 pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors is more than enough to handle a system running with two GeForce GTX 570 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

    I don't think PC Power & Cooling has any modular power supply units over 600 Watts.
  2. I agree with the HX-850 which is an excellent unit and will allow for o'cing the cpu and gpu's.
    If you can wait, i'd order this(price will be honoured).
    XFX 850W PRO850W XXX Edition Single Rail
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62223&vpn=P1850BNLG9&manufacture=XFX
  3. Thanks guys!
  4. What do ya thing modular is going to do for you ? Other than introduce additional failure points, resistance and increased costs ? As is oft the case, going all one way has certain advantages / disadvantages .....and going the other way has certain advantages / disadvantages. What ya generally want to try and do, when possible, is "get the best of both worlds". That is called hybrid modular and is how most of the high quality units are constructed.

    Having all the cables hard wired almost always leads to an unnecessarily cluttered case. 100% modular OTOH, adds several additional failure points and drops efficiency, increases resistance, albeit by very small amounts. The question is, why suffer even a small decrease in anything when it provides no advantage.

    -Having ya 24 pin power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .
    -Having ya 8 pin EPS power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .
    -Having ya two PCI-En power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .
    -Having ya SATA power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .
    -Having ya 24 pin power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .

    Most of the highly rated 850 watt PSU's provide hybrid modular units. All of the above are generally hard wired, because there is no way ya can build a box without using them. I know somebody gonna pop up with the fact that lower power cards don't need two power connectors but those instances wouldn't dictate a 850 watt PSU.

    First tier 850 watt units would include the Antec SG and CP series, Corsair HX series, XFX Black Edition and a few others. 2nd tier would include the Corsair TX V2 but as the XFX gets the same 9.5 jonnyguru performance rating and is like $35 more expensive than the $90 XFX Core Edition 850.
  5. JackNaylorPE said:
    What do ya thing modular is going to do for you ? Other than introduce additional failure points, resistance and increased costs ? As is oft the case, going all one way has certain advantages / disadvantages .....and going the other way has certain advantages / disadvantages. What ya generally want to try and do, when possible, is "get the best of both worlds". That is called hybrid modular and is how most of the high quality units are constructed.

    Having all the cables hard wired almost always leads to an unnecessarily cluttered case. 100% modular OTOH, adds several additional failure points and drops efficiency, increases resistance, albeit by very small amounts. The question is, why suffer even a small decrease in anything when it provides no advantage.

    -Having ya 24 pin power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .
    -Having ya 8 pin EPS power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .
    -Having ya two PCI-En power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .
    -Having ya SATA power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .
    -Having ya 24 pin power connector as modular provides what advantage when you can't build ya box without it .

    Most of the highly rated 850 watt PSU's provide hybrid modular units. All of the above are generally hard wired, because there is no way ya can build a box without using them. I know somebody gonna pop up with the fact that lower power cards don't need two power connectors but those instances wouldn't dictate a 850 watt PSU.

    First tier 850 watt units would include the Antec SG and CP series, Corsair HX series, XFX Black Edition and a few others. 2nd tier would include the Corsair TX V2 but as the XFX gets the same 9.5 jonnyguru performance rating and is like $35 more expensive than the $90 XFX Core Edition 850.


    So the hybrid unit only has the 2 main motherboard power connectors attached? I thought modular was best so whatever you're not using is not connected and the airflow and cable management is at its best?

    *Looking for a 850w-950w PSU.
  6. mikeny said:
    So the hybrid unit only has the 2 main motherboard power connectors attached? I thought modular was best so whatever you're not using is not connected and the airflow and cable management is at its best?

    *Looking for a 850w-950w PSU.

    i think semi-modular is best, you need a captive 8 pin 24 pin and one sata cable to get youre computer to boot so why even bother making them modular
  7. we1shcake said:
    i think semi-modular is best, you need a captive 8 pin 24 pin and one sata cable to get youre computer to boot so why even bother making them modular


    Very good point. Thank you for the tip.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies SATA Western Digital Components