Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Build - ~400 - purchase tonight/next day

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2011 4:28:19 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Tonight, tomorrow... I will be picking up the processor and motherboard from Microcenter on Sunday

Budget Range: 400ish after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Watching locally stored movies/tv, streaming netflix, storage/backup for two computers, light gaming (sims 3, tf2, cs:s), folding eventually

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, Microcenter (Madison Heights Michigan)

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I do like my current 650 ocz modular power supply (open to suggestions but want modular), also I prefer Samsung hdds (I hope they have their old stock). I also wanted to try out a Fractal Design case, I really want the midi but the price is just too big of a difference.

Overclocking: Yes for folding, otherwise probably undervolt for everyday htpc usage

SLI or Crossfire: negative ghost-rider

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I like a clean look for the case (even though its going to be behind my tv stand), hdmi for sound/video, eventually adding a graphics card (nvidia) for folding. I would also like to add a tv tuner card down the road a month or three, but wasn't sure what I would need. I want to be able to record HD on Comcast - not sure if I can just use the cable box or if I need a cable card. I also might end up using this as my main rig (with a 2500k) in the near future if bulldozer fails.

Here is what I have so far

Microcenter (40 off sandybridge mobo)
Intel Core i3 2100 99.99
Z68 Pro3-M Socket 1155 Z68 mATX 74.99

Total with Tax: 185.48

Newegg.com
LITE-ON DVD Burner iHAS124-04 18.99
Fractal Design Core 1000 Micro ATX Computer Case w/ 1 x 120mm fan 39.99
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Total with shipping: 258.63

Total with tax and shipping 441.11

If you see anywhere I could cut some cost that'd be sweet.

Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2011 8:36:26 AM

It looks good to me, I normally wouldn't recommend OCZ because they don't always use the best OEM to manufacture for them but.. it's modular [essential for HTPC] and it's less than $50 after MIR. You don't seem to be running much so 500w is WAY more than enough. If you want directx11.. you can purchase a 5450 for around $40. Otherwise this looks good. The i3-2100 intel HD graphic will be enough :)  It will also handle light gaming.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2011 1:40:06 PM

I would seriously consider the AMD Fusion based A6 or A8 these offer QuadCore performance with better built in graphics over the Sandy Bridge processors.

My HTPC build parts arriving today. From Newegg Motherbord, Processor, RAM $306.53 with shipping.

HTPC:
Asus F1A75-M Pro
AMD Fusion A8-3850 2.9Ghz Quad-Core
8gb Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
1x Western Digital Scorpio Black 160GB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
2x Seagate 7200rpm 640GB RAID0 (Steam)
m
l
August 25, 2011 5:00:45 PM

Thanks for the input guys (and possibly gals).

I understand llano would give a bit more punch, but I'm thinking that getting a z68 intel board now will allow me to pop a 2500k in later and replace my current main rig.

I will also be picking up a gpu down the road to do some light folding - isn't intel a bit better for folding?
m
l
August 25, 2011 5:07:59 PM

snoogins said:

I understand llano would give a bit more punch, but I'm thinking that getting a z68 intel board now will allow me to pop a 2500k in later and replace my current main rig.

I will also be picking up a gpu down the road to do some light folding - isn't intel a bit better for folding?

Yes I would assume the Intel chips would be better for Folding. They do give you the option for Hyper Threading which obviously isn't an option on the AMD platform.

Additionally can someone explain the rational behind using a computer for Folding. Why not just turn it off and save the electricity?
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2011 5:16:31 PM

I don't exactly know but from what I've heard. I guess. If you want folding. Wait for BD, Apparently to have some solid FPU numbers, and I've heard BD will get superb F@H numbers but just rumors.
m
l
August 27, 2011 7:25:40 AM

I ended up picking up a 2100 setup, will be grabbing a video card soon.

Anyone familiar with folding - maybe know the best htpc/folding card?
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2011 3:32:24 PM

^ Do you want low tdp or just folding OR budget?

A few would be the GTS 450 (High TDP), 550 Ti (pretty much way more efficient than the 450), GTX 460 768mb or 1GB model (good all around).
m
l
September 9, 2011 9:39:10 AM

snoogins said:

Don't by the Llano at all unless you want to be more busy RMA'ing your hardware every few weeks. It's a hunk of junk!
m
l
!