Sign in with
Your question

Changing Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2012 4:52:11 AM

Hello all, i would like to see if someone can help me with a concern i have. I am going to be replacing a motherboard in a computer that is a few years old. A storm came through and it seems to have fried the mobo. The computer is a few years old so i have some concerns aout the mobo change.

1.I hear that the os is tied to the mobo. I also hear that microsot realy does not give much problems giving you a reactivation code though. The processor out of the old board will be put in the new one if that helps.

2.I hear there can be driver issues going from one mobo to another. How would i go about avoiding this?

3.The new board uses DDR3 ram, the old one used DDR2, will this cause a problem?

Thanks for any replies, i would like to know what i am getting into before jut throwing the new mobo and ram in.

More about : changing motherboard

a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2012 11:27:12 AM

If you buy a new board, it will probably have a new socket unlike your previous board. ie: You'll have to buy a new processor and DDR3 RAM as DDR2 won't work on it. Even if it does, won't work well.

What you can do is - Buy a motherboard of the socket that your current processor supports (The same as your old motherboard) if you don't wanna get a new rig.

:) 
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:56:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention the socket type is the same and the old processor is on the new boards processor compatibility list. I also forgot to mention new RAM was ordered with the mobo. I guess my main concern is driver issues. From what i have seen a fresh install of windows is recommended. The problem with this is the copmuter was bought from a retail store and i do not have a os disk.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 1:07:54 PM

Yep, you'll have to install a fresh copy.

Why don't you go to the store and talk to them about this?
m
l
August 30, 2012 3:12:34 AM

I installed the motherboard and ram. The Computer was restarting at the splash screen. Did a system restore and it fixed the problem. Activation would not go through. I called Microsoft and explained the situation to them. They just had me put the Product Key that is on the side of the case in, activation went through. I now have a picture in sytem that says"ask for genuine Microsoft software and also a "change product key". I do not remember either one of those being there. Am i in the clear or did something not go right with activation. Windows activation update is one the computer, does that have anything to do with it? Sorry for all the questions.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2012 9:30:55 AM

I think one key can work on multiple computers o.O
m
l
!