Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Z77 Extreme 6 USB 3.0 not working

Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2012 5:06:40 AM

I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 whose front panel USB 3.0 ports have stopped working.

I've seen various posts about the Etron USB 3.0 drivers being flakey, but my understanding is that the Etron ports are on the rear I/O panel and the front ports (connected to the USB 3.0 header on the mobo) use the Intel Z77 controller.

I found an updated Intel USB 3.0 driver on the Asrock site and installed that (I now have 1.0.4.220), but it didn't help.

I checked the BIOS and USB 3.0 is enabled (and these ports USED to work). Any suggestions for kickstarting them back to life would be much appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2012 6:24:56 AM

Have you looked at your USB 3.0 front panel adapter that came with the board?
Score
August 28, 2012 6:34:25 PM

I'm not using the adapter that came with the board. The system is in a Cooler Master Storm Enforcer that came with 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports pre-mounted on the front with their own cable that connected to the USB 3.0 header on the board.

About the same time as I got the email notification of your post I had started to suspect that the problem is not with the mobo but with the cable or the ports. I haven't yet had a chance to take things apart, but that's where I'm going next.

I still have the USB 3.0 adapter that came with the board, so the easiest way to test things will be to connect that to the header. If those ports work when connected to the board, then I'll have narrowed things down quite a bit.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

August 29, 2012 6:06:20 PM

The problem was, in fact, that the connector to the header had jarred partly loose. Through the "window" on the side of the CM case the cable looked to be connected to the header, but as soon as I opened the case and touched the cable, it was obvious that it wasn't fully seated.
January 16, 2013 1:32:03 AM

2 of the rear usb 3 ports are etron and 2 are intel (besides the motherboard usb 3 header which is also Intel). Problem is I don't know which 2 rear ports are which.
Score
a c 973 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 8:59:21 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
a c 973 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 8:59:25 PM

Best answer selected by SR-71 Blackbird.
Score
!