Advice on reflowing HP DV6000?

JGAN

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hi everyone,
I have a HP DV810US (subset of DV6700, subset of DV6000) laptop that has a "no power" symptom most likely caused by a bad NVIDIA chip. I'm looking to reflow the chipset with either a butane pencil torch/heat gun or oven. Is one method "safer" than the other? I would prefer the torch method if there is no reason not to.

Also, how should I go about doing this? There are so many different methods online, each more absurd than before :/ Basically, if I use a butane torch, I'm going to also have an IR thermometer to monitor the temps and make sure it doesn't get over 250ºC. My idea is just to heat it up slowly from above, about 10ºC-20ºC/minute. I will also have added petroleum-based rosin flux beforehand.

However, some people say that you should set the motherboard at a 45º angle. In addition, they instruct you to heat it up from the bottom first, and then flip it over to the top and finish reflowing there. Others even go as far as saying that you should apply some pressure to the chip when you are reflowing it.

Who is correct here? What advice should I take in order to get the best possible results?

Thanks,
JGAN

cl-scott

Honorable
While on the one hand I am inclined to say that you have little to lose by trying this, and good luck to you, I kind of cringe when I read the methods you're contemplating. You are almost certain to cause some collateral damage, and probably even bridge a few pins.

If you really want this to work, you should go to a store like Radio Shack and just get some cheap components to practice soldering on. Get a soldering iron with as fine a tip as you can.

JGAN

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
This board is already broken, so I really don't feel like I'm losing much. I'm competent at soldering, as I regularly solder my own PCBs and circuits. There are people on Youtube who have done both methods, so I believe it can be done this way.

On a side note, do you know how to test the NVIDIA chipset with a multimeter? I want to make sure that is really the problem. I have the schematic available.