PSU: Faulty or did I damage it?

TheRedStorm

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I just built a PC for the first time, and ran into some strange problems during the build (by strange, I mean searching on the internet for that same problem I had gave no results)

When I first started the build, I did a breadboard test and everything was fine. I even installed the OS.

Then I did the internal build. When I finished, I pressed on the PSU (my power supply is a Rosewill Green Series 530W 80 plus). But when I did, suddenly all the fans started spinning and it sounded like all the components were receiving power... before I pressed the power button! Nothing showed up on the monitor though.

I took out all the parts from the case to do another breadboard test, and had the same problem as in the case. But when I shorted the power pins, it turned on normally, loaded OS and everything.

So technically it could work, but that would mean I have to switch off the PSU to turn off the computer. And I wasn't even sure it would work at all in the case (it didn't seem to when it was)

So I decided to borrow a friend's PSU (a COOLER MASER RS-460-PSAR-J3 430 watt power supply)
And it worked normally in the breadboard test.
I then put everything back into the case (which was really annoying) to see if it worked there. It worked fine in the case as well!

I'm considering returning my Rosewill Green Series for another power supply, but I'm wondering what could be the cause of the strange problem, because it worked normally at first, but then stopped working after I installed it into the case...

I'm thinking there's two possibilites:
-I damaged it when I put it in the case. I have no idea how though, and don't see how I could've.
-It's just a weird faulty power supply. But it worked at first, so not sure if that could be it.

Which is more likely? I probably won't be able to return it if it was my fault that its messed up..

And could there be a possible way of fixing it?

And a side question, are there any decent reliable power supplies to replace my Rosewill Green Series 530W, that aren't too expensive?

I'm thinking of getting an Antec BP550 Plus ($70)

TheRedStorm

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I don't think it has anything to do with that, considering its working on a 460 watt power supply that's not even 80 plus, but a 530 watt 80 plus isn't working correctly.

Anyway, here's my specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K (currently at stock speed using stock fan)
Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 6850
Memory: G.SKILL Dual Channel 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333
Case: Thermaltake Element G