New MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III - Faulty card?

Hi All,

I just purchased and built this system yesterday. Specs are as follows:

CPU : i5 - 2500k
MOBO : Asus P8P67
RAM : Gskill RipJaws X 2x4gb CL9
GFX : MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 2GB
PSU : FSP 750W AURUM CM Gold
HDD : Crucial m4 64gb

I have been having issues with the gfx card with driver crashes and BSOD. I thought it was a bad driver installation and tried several different versions. However a few hours back it started glitching seriously on the bios screen, leading me to believe it is a hardware issue.

So far the following three possibilities come to mind:
1) PSU problem
2) GFX Card Problem
3) MOBO Problem

To isolate the issue i have put my old 8800GTX in the system and a it is working fine.

This leads me to believe its either a faulty card or the PSU has voltage spikes that broke the card.

I will let my 8800 GTX run for a while to eliminate the PSU. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to confirm if the PSU is fine? I have checked the 3.3v/5v and 12v voltages in the bios and they are almost dead on.

I am not too sure how to check for PSU spikes...any ideas?

Planning to return the card tomorrow, but wanted to confirm I am not overlooking anything.

Thanks

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/8686/img0289oq.jpg
3 answers Last reply
More about r6950 twin frozr faulty card
  1. Given that it fails at post, and the 8800 is doing ok (granted, this has lower power requirements, but not a lot lower), I'd guess there is a problem with the card. Unfortunately these things happen.

I also wish I knew a good way to test the PSU, so I'll see what others have to say.
  2. The card is definitely faulty, but if you want to cover all options, hook the psu to a spare computer or a friends computer and see if it works.
  3. Thanks all. RMA'ed the card and got a new one. Works nicely.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics MSI-Microstar