Sign in with
Your question
Closed

A graphics chip that supports shader model 3.0

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2011 5:35:58 PM

I play a game called eve online and they recently made the requirement that your graphics chip has to support Shader model 3.0. i was wondering what is the cheapest graphics card (or download) that can support shader model 3.0.

current graphics card:
Name: Intel G365 Express chipset family
Manufacturer: Intel corp.
Chip Type: Intel Gma 3000
DAC Type: internal
Approx. Total Memory: 256.0 MB

microsoft windows xp home edition
version 2002

its a dell dimension
intel core2 cpu
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.86GHz, .99 GB of RAM

I didn't know what i had to list for you to help me so i listed all i can find. As you can see i'm no computer whiz. I just want to know what the cheapest graphics card or download i need for shader model 3.0.

a c 166 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
June 22, 2011 6:03:28 PM

Need to post your system specs, brand/model/power supply wattage/case type.

Onboard Intel graphics are not good for any games at all, unless you have a laptop, about $50 will get you a nice card for games.
Score
June 23, 2011 1:40:47 AM

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Gateway
Model YORKTOWN
Total amount of system memory 1.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 1
64-bit capable No

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 38 GB
Disk partition (C:)  2 GB Free (19 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:)  5 GB Free (19 GB Total)
Media drive (G:)  CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI RADEON 9600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Total available graphics memory 319 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 63 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.56.1.15
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Network Adapter Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

I might need a new Computer......URG Eve is my BANE!
Score
Related resources
a c 365 U Graphics card
a c 118 å Intel
June 23, 2011 1:54:15 AM

robotjoe said:

current graphics card:
Name: Intel G365 Express chipset family
Manufacturer: Intel corp.
Chip Type: Intel Gma 3000

Did you mean the G965 chipset with the Intel GMA X3000?

That does support Shader Model 3.0, but Intel graphics have pretty low performance.

Your best bet is to install a PCI-e v2.0 video card; assuming you have a PCI-e v1.0 slot in your Dell. I believe your Dell is not new enough to have a PCI-e v2.0 slot so installing a PCI-e v2.1 card would most likely have some compatibility issues. You need to provide a budget.

Score
a c 142 U Graphics card
June 23, 2011 1:58:24 AM

Quote:
System

Manufacturer Gateway
Model YORKTOWN
Total amount of system memory 1.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 1
64-bit capable No

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 38 GB
Disk partition (C:)  2 GB Free (19 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:)  5 GB Free (19 GB Total)
Media drive (G:)  CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI RADEON 9600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Total available graphics memory 319 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 63 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.56.1.15
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Network Adapter Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

I might need a new Computer......URG Eve is my BANE!

New computer may be a good idea, looks like you have an ancient Pentium 4 system or Celeron system. Most new graphics cards would be seriously bottlenecked by any single core CPU. 1GB of RAM, even on XP is also quite low for gaming. You also did not tell us what PSU you have, so it is hard to recommend a video card.

If you do want to upgrade the video card you are going to need to look for one with an AGP interface, your system is too old for PCI Express. AGP cards aren't that common anymore (the newest ones are at least two generations old at this point) and tend to be quite pricy for the performance they give. Assuming your power supply is up to it, the AGP version of the Radeon HD 4670 would give you Pixel Shader 3.0 support and hopefully wouldn't be too horribly bottlenecked by the single core CPU.
Score
June 23, 2011 1:37:55 PM

jaguarskx said:
Did you mean the G965 chipset with the Intel GMA X3000?

That does support Shader Model 3.0, but Intel graphics have pretty low performance.

Your best bet is to install a PCI-e v2.0 video card; assuming you have a PCI-e v1.0 slot in your Dell. I believe your Dell is not new enough to have a PCI-e v2.0 slot so installing a PCI-e v2.1 card would most likely have some compatibility issues. You need to provide a budget.

when i looked at chip type it said i had G365 chipset with intel GMA 3000. It frustrates me they made a new model and just added the "x" in :( 

I'd say my budget is $80
Score
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
June 27, 2011 1:39:38 PM

robotjoe said:
when i looked at chip type it said i had G365 chipset with intel GMA 3000. It frustrates me they made a new model and just added the "x" in :( 

I'd say my budget is $80

A Radeon HD 5570 DDR3 (I think there are DDR2 versions of this card so make sure you get the DDR3) would match your system well, and should run in the system with no power supply upgrade.

Also you want at least 2 gig of RAM, 1 gig won't be enough to run games.
Score
!