Sign in with
Your question

PCIe Graphics card auxiliary power?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2011 5:37:59 PM

Hello, I am putting a NVIDIA Quadro FX3500 PCIe Graphics card into my Dell Precision 390, which has a Dell 375w PSU and the PCIe x16(up to 150w) slot for the card. Do I need to hook up the PCIe auxiliary power connection on the Quadro? I don't have the cable for this, which would have been supplied with the card. The computers PSU has one spare internal socket, which has holes for 6 pins, and the Quadro socket is also six pins. Is the PSU socket the correct one,if so how can I source the cable I need to connect it to the socket on the card?
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 5:58:44 PM

Yes you need to hook up the PCIe auxiliary power connection to the card for it to function correctly. That 6 pin power cable should have came with the computer or PSU if original was replaced. Try contacting the manufacture of PSU, or Google; PSU model # 6pin replacement cable.
eBay?
Edit; A 6pin extension cable might work.
a c 158 U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 6:08:54 PM

Don't just plug in any power lead to the card just because it has the same number of holes. Make sure it was made for a PCIe aux power or at least has the same pin-out and voltage.

You can get a proper cable off ebay for a few dollars that will work off a regular power connection if you need it.
Related resources
June 22, 2011 6:22:02 PM

Yeah I have searched ebay and so on for a cable with six pin connectors on each end but cant seem to find one, this made me think maybe the connector I was looking at on the Dell PSU was not have the correct connector, meaning there is no available connector......?
a c 158 U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 6:30:48 PM

You don't need an adapter with the same connection on both ends, you need this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=molex+to+pcie+power+adap...

I don't think there are any SATA to PCIe adapters though.

The power supply cable may be the right one for the card though, check the technical specs on it.
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 6:36:08 PM

You'll need a new PSU then, that FX3500 needs min 350w but I'd go with 450w or a bit more.
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 6:49:48 PM

Plug the 6 pin pci-e connector from the psu directly into the card , no adapter or new psu needed.
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 6:54:24 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You don't need an adapter with the same connection on both ends, you need this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=molex+to+pcie+power+adap...

I don't think there are any SATA to PCIe adapters though.

The power supply cable may be the right one for the card though, check the technical specs on it.

Those things are flimsy and could cause you problems. Not to many people recommend them!
There good in a pinch but not for long term use!
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2011 4:17:10 AM

SAESOH66 said:
Yeah I have searched ebay and so on for a cable with six pin connectors on each end but cant seem to find one, this made me think maybe the connector I was looking at on the Dell PSU was not have the correct connector, meaning there is no available connector......?

Does the PSU have a 6 pin cable or not? It looks like this(shows a 8 pin & 6 pin); http://itcontent.net/xigmatek-power-supply-nrp-mc702/xi...
Edit; If you have one use it!
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2011 12:49:39 PM

The connector at the top ( closest to the psu ) is an auxiliary connector, for adding HDD and sata connectors ( not all revisions of the 375w had this ).

Look closely, see the black and white wire set coming up from in between the HD's, leading to the video card, that's the pcie connector ( all revisions of the 375w have this ).You can usually find it bundled in the cable clamp on the lower fan shroud.

!