Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build (old rig just died)

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 25, 2011 3:32:51 PM

Can anyone out there critique?

INTEL I5-2500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CORSAIR Special Edition White Graphite Series 600TM
CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (Modular)
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB x 2 (reusing one from my old rig and running these in a raid 0)
WD Blue 1TB Storage Drive
EVGA Superclocked GTX465 (reusing from my old rig for the time being)

please let me know how this sounds. My understanding is that raid with SSD's now supports TRIM until the intel chipset, can anyone confirm?

it's been suggested that i scrap the ssd raid and just get a Sata III SSD, if I do this, can I use my old vertex 2 60gb as a cache using the intel smart response technology?

More about : build rig died

August 25, 2011 3:40:05 PM

Looks good! The only change I would make is swapping the WD Blue for a Samsung F3 1TB.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Trim is supported. I would scrap the SSD RAID and go with an OCZ Agility / Vertex 3 SSD as your boot / OS drive. The Z68 chipset allows for SSD caching and your Vertex 2 60GB would qualify... Not sure what type of performance enhancements you would see with the newer / faster SSD in the mix...
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 3:42:45 PM

sadams04 said:
Looks good! The only change I would make is swapping the WD Blue for a Samsung F3 1TB.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Trim is supported. I would scrap the SSD RAID and go with an OCZ Agility / Vertex 3 SSD as your boot / OS drive. The Z68 chipset allows for SSD caching and your Vertex 2 60GB would qualify... Not sure what type of performance enhancements you would see with the newer / faster SSD in the mix...


the 1tb drive is actually coming out of my old rig, since was my media drive in the old computer...

can you recommend which OCZ ssd to add to my cart? meh, i thought raiding the ssd's was the way to go, i guess not... Crazy technology...
m
0
l
Related resources
August 25, 2011 3:46:04 PM

There's nothing wrong with WD Blue. It's a good 7200rpm drive.

That's a bad ass case, I just read a review on it in Max PC. I want one, but $160 for a case it crazy.
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 3:49:07 PM

well back in the day i paid over 200 for the coolermaster stacker if I remember correctly, so 160 for a case is a steal lol...

i guess my last decision is on this ssd, do i stay with ocz or consider corsair? this is all frustrating to me since grad school starts in a week and my pc died a couple days ago...
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 4:00:34 PM

I say change the CM 212+ to Corsair H60, it will match nicely with the other Corsair parts that you have. How about changing that SSD to a Corsair as well?
By changing to a H60, you won't have to worry about clearance issues when your going to add more Vengeance later on.
As for SSD caching, it's like Seagate's Hybrid drives...
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 4:10:39 PM

lp231 said:
I say change the CM 212+ to Corsair H60, it will match nicely with the other Corsair parts that you have. How about changing that SSD to a Corsair as well?
By changing to a H60, you won't have to worry about clearance issues when your going to add more Vengeance later on.
As for SSD caching, it's like Seagate's Hybrid drives...


i'm just not really sold on liquid cooling and am not sure where I would put the radiator etc... I had some bad experiences back in the day with a koolance rig...

are you sure the 212 will create clearance issues with vengeance memory sticks?

sadams04 said:
Look toward the Agility 3 lineup first. If you are comfortable with the Vertex 3 pricing, they will offer a slight speed increase of the Agility 3 line.

60GB Agility 3 => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
120GB Agility 3 => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


some of the agility reviews scare me, i don't mind spending the extra on the vertex 3 if it means peace of mind i guess...

m
0
l
August 25, 2011 4:15:42 PM

I would get the new sata 111 ssd drive from either OCZ (Agility 3) or Corsair (Force).
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 4:40:23 PM

Corsair 600 is a sweet case, especially in white (2 of my friends just built their rigs with it. However, I went with a Rosewill BLACKHAWK - about 60 dollars cheaper and I don't feel as though I am getting a lesser case. Maybe something to look at to cut some cost and put towards a new GPU :) 
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 4:45:18 PM

now i'm starting to freak out about clearance issues... will the taller ram and hsf have clerance issues? I googled it and one person claims issues while another does not....

http://forum.ncixus.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=1...

as for the graphics card, money isn't the reason i am not upgrading, i just don't game that much... i guess when BF3 comes out, it'll test this theory, maybe i'll end up with a new card then...
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 5:43:00 PM

i guess i'll give it a go, the vast majority say the clearance issues aren't a factor.

before i push "order now" is the 750 watt power supply more than enough? For example say if I wanted to do SLI down the road with two 570 series cards... would that cause power issues on the supply? Should I consider something else, keep in mind i'd like to do modular...
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 6:37:59 PM

Low profile heat spreaders ftw...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $264.98 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

This board down below is a 16+2 phase board as is the Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $179.99 FREE SHIPPING Save $6 w/ promo code ASUS729, ends 8/31
ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $329.98 - $30.00 Mail In Rebates
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 6:59:57 PM

calling newegg now since i placed my order and didn't see that combo deal. i'm paying the same price for the 750W + Case as that combo deal. Hopefully they can just swap out the power supply and give me the 850Watt.

thanks for the heads up
m
0
l
August 26, 2011 1:12:00 AM

They had a Shell Shocker for Creative X-Fi Fatality sound card, original price $149
Shell Shocker price $80 bucks!
And I missed it!
My face... :<

As for the H60, it's a closed watercooling system only for the CPU, you mount the radiator to the spot for
the rear exhaust fan
CM 212+ won't have ram clearance issues when you only have 2 sticks as the one close to the CPU will be empty.
But when you're going to upgrade later on, then you will or may have problems.
m
0
l
August 26, 2011 1:19:53 AM

lp231 said:
They had a Shell Shocker for Creative X-Fi Fatality sound card, original price $149
Shell Shocker price $80 bucks!
And I missed it!
My face... :<

As for the H60, it's a closed watercooling system only for the CPU, you mount the radiator to the spot for
the rear exhaust fan
CM 212+ won't have ram clearance issues when you only have 2 sticks as the one close to the CPU will be empty.
But when you're going to upgrade later on, then you will or may have problems.


for the time being i decided to use air cooling. when i decide to jump to 16GB i'll also plan on doing a corsair H80 or H100 watercool.

i'm super excited to see the UPS deliery tomorrow. while the week started sad with my E6600 conroe rig dying, it'll be a breath of fresh air to go to a i5 2500k. The thing I am most excited about is actually the case, i'm hoping to really hae a clean build with perfect wiring. The one thing I wish was that the USB 3 wasn't passthrough, and hoping to find a really clean solution to it instead of actually using the passthrough...
m
0
l
!