(1st) Final i5-2500k build review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I'm too much of a newb to answer your component questions but I did pick up my i5-2500k and gigabyte board from Microcenter.

$40 off any 1155 motherboard with purchase of a second-gen Intel processor. It's part of their August specials so I'd pull the trigger before September...it might not be there next month.

jReps0l

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I'm too much of a newb to answer your component questions but I did pick up my i5-2500k and gigabyte board from Microcenter.

$40 off any 1155 motherboard with purchase of a second-gen Intel processor. It's part of their August specials so I'd pull the trigger before September...it might not be there next month.

Solution

fury0609

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

hmm i really didnt see it on their website but it appears on my shopping cart so i guessed that it is still $40 off
thanks for the confirmation
i am getting it this weekend

jReps0l

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
When I found it, it was where the AMD deal currently is. I think it also might be in there August deal catalog.

BTW, I think your motherboard is out of stock. Might want to have a backup.

I used their 18-minute pickup service. They will hold the items for 3 days. Good way to lock in your price and makes for a quick store run...always good when going to Microcenter.

Good luck.

fury0609

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
there is still 10+ in stock
i think i will reserve it on 18 minute pick up online friday then get it saturday

as for the gtx 560 ti
i may get the evga gtx 560 ti maximum graphics edition but in newegg not in microcenter because of no tax
if not then i will stick to evga gtx 560 ti superclock

Overall your build, The board, processor and memory should all work well together. About the only worth talking about is while the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K does come with a HSF (heatsink/fan) that does work well at normal speeds; before you overclock this processor you are going to want to get a good 3rd party HSF.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

jReps0l

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

You are right, my bad. I forgot Microcenter's crazy website sometimes shows out of stock if you look at the product page rather the product listing.

Cheers.

fury0609

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks!
one more question
will my antec 300 illusion handle sli with that fan? or is it gonna be too small?
i am thinking of getting cooler master storm scout at microcenter for $60 after rebate
or do you recommend any other case?

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

I couldn't give you that answer for sure, but from what I've read and seen in reviews, it seems that the light from the front 200mm fan should not be bright enough to light up the case or be visible from the side window.

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah, it's a shame it doesn't come with the top fan, really. But I guess they did what they had to do to get the case down to this price.

I actually picked up a Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm Red LED fan from Fry's Electronics today for $15, so I can live with the case coming in under $100 overall.

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Still don't think it will be enough to light up the inside of the case.

I personally do not care for bright lights in there, but if you look on Youtube and elsewhere, there are some people who added more red LEDs and LED fans in there to make it brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.