Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Tuner Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2011 8:44:56 PM

I'm new to the who tuner thing but I would love to get one into my pc or one that plugs into usb 2 or 3.0. I'm looking for a very good one as my rig can handle anything really. I don't want a cheap piece of junk. I'm going to be getting another 580 and doubt I will meet the space requirements for a internal one. So I would love to hear any opinions on highly rated cards.

Looking for a card with good features such as pvr, HD, remote control, easy set up and external if possible.

More about : tuner card

June 23, 2011 12:20:45 AM

Look to the HD HomeRun Prime from SiliconDust, due out late July 2011. If you're willing to go with an internal card, look to the Ceton InfiniTV 4 cablecard PCI-E solution.

-Wolf sends
June 23, 2011 12:37:06 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Look to the HD HomeRun Prime from SiliconDust, due out late July 2011. If you're willing to go with an internal card, look to the Ceton InfiniTV 4 cablecard PCI-E solution.

-Wolf sends

Thanks for your response.

I have no room for internal cards as my second 580 will be taking up the rest of the slots from what I can see. I unfortunately cannot use the HD home run as it needs to be used in conjunction with a cable card and my ips "Cogeco" does not offer them. Any other good ones similar to those without the need of a cable card?
Related resources

Best solution

June 23, 2011 2:08:02 AM

Well, without a cablecard option, you're stuck with either an Over-The-Air TV/ClearQAM Tuner or a Set Top Box (from Cogeco) in conjunction with an HD Video Capture unit. This of course assumes that Cogeco is like every other cable company in the country that has encrypted it's cable channels.

If you have a cable company provided set top box, then look into an HD video capture unit like this Hauppauge HD PVR. Your Set Top Box will act as the TV Tuner (whatever you want to record, you have to preset the Set Top Box to record as if you have a VCR attached). The video capture unit will record whatever channel your set top box is set to.

If you don't have a set top box, then you'd probably want to look at this SiliconDust HD HomeRun Dual TV Tuner (different from the HD HomeRun Prime). This device will act as a TV Tuner for your computer, but will only record those channels your cable company sends un-encrypted (in the clear).

What channels are sent un-encrypted are up to your cable provider. In my area the only channels sent un-encrypted are the local channels and a couple others. The majority (all) of the channels I'd want to record are encrypted.

-Wolf sends
June 23, 2011 2:23:44 AM

Basically I want to use my computer monitor as a tv screen and have the ability to record. I do have a cable box. I get about 50 digital channels and VOD, PPV's etc. What should I get?
June 23, 2011 12:38:07 PM

Since you have a cable set top box, then look into external video capture units like the Hauppauge HD PVR that I linked above. That unit will connect to your set top box via the component cable outputs. It will connect to your computer via USB.

-Wolf sends
June 23, 2011 1:28:52 PM

Thanks, thats exactly what I am looking for!
June 23, 2011 1:43:00 PM

Best answer selected by benson733.
June 23, 2011 8:38:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!