Sign in with
Your question

Spare Components: Which is the better processor? C2D or C2Q

Last response: in CPUs
November 24, 2011 5:08:52 PM

I just upgraded my system to a i5 and have a spare 2.4 C2Q laying around. My other computer has a 3.0 C2D processor. The computer will be used for gaming and typical school work (for my younger brother). Which processor would benefit him? I'm assuming the C2D is the one to keep in it, but just want to make sure.

Thanks!
a c 159 à CPUs
November 24, 2011 5:26:25 PM

Here is a little information for you

1- 2.4 C2D = 2.4 Core 2 Duo = 2.4GHz processor DUAL core = TWO cores
2- 3.0 C2Q = 3.0 Core 2 Quad = 3.0GHz processor QUAD core = FOUR cores

Which one of those do you keep now?
m
l
November 24, 2011 5:35:36 PM

But if a program cannot utilize 4 cores, the higher clock speed of a 2 core chip is superior (or so it was at the last time I've read about it). For rendering and such, as long as the software can utilize it, the quad is superior. But for gaming, the speed wins over additional cores due to lack of utilization by the software. Right?

And yes, I know the difference between the Duo and Quad =P
m
l
Related resources
a c 473 à CPUs
November 24, 2011 5:38:21 PM

Hmmm... kinda tough.

The C2D will be faster in games that only uses 1 or 2 CPU cores.

The C2Q will be just as fast or faster in games that can use 3 or 4 cores. It should also make windows run more smoothly because there are more core to run background applications and services especially when they spike up a little bit in activity from time to time.

According to an article I've read on Anandtech about CPU scaling in games going from 2 cores to 3 cores yields an average increase of 27% in performance. Going from 3 to 4 cores only yielded an additional 6%. Therefore in a simple analogy, running a game that can use 4 cores on the C2Q 2.4GHz would make it equivalent to a C2D 3.2 GHz (33% higher than 2.4GHz).

Since you have both CPUs you can try to benchmark some games that you have to help you decide.
m
l
November 24, 2011 5:47:13 PM

I've got an old E8400 and my brother an old Q9450 and even if he is clocked lower than mine (even taking overlcoking into consideration), his pulls ahead in nearly everything.

OS/Office/Photoshop/Web Browsing/music & movie compression & editing is a good bit snappier on the C2Q.

Gaming it depends on the game, we both have the exact same XFX 4870 video card & play at the same resolutions, so it's really quite easy to compare; when we we into MMOs, those ran better on his, probably because they are more CPU intensive than GPU and my C2D had a harder time keeping the threads outside of the game (OS/AV software/music/etc...) then his C2Q, even if most of the MMOs we used to play wouldn't use all his cores, the background stuff still needs to be taken into consideration.

More recent games like BF3 for example, run a tiny bit better on his, with all settings being the same he gets an extra 3-5 FPS average.

I say plug in that C2Q
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
November 24, 2011 5:48:41 PM

jkchang626 said:
But if a program cannot utilize 4 cores, the higher clock speed of a 2 core chip is superior (or so it was at the last time I've read about it). For rendering and such, as long as the software can utilize it, the quad is superior. But for gaming, the speed wins over additional cores due to lack of utilization by the software. Right?

And yes, I know the difference between the Duo and Quad =P

Not all depends of frequency, what exactly models do you have? Because you also need have in mind the cache memory, not only the frequency.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
November 24, 2011 5:50:55 PM

saint19 said:
Here is a little information for you

1- 2.4 C2D = 2.4 Core 2 Duo = 2.4GHz processor DUAL core = TWO cores
2- 3.0 C2Q = 3.0 Core 2 Quad = 3.0GHz processor QUAD core = FOUR cores

Which one of those do you keep now?

its the other way round, its a 3.0 c2d and a 2.4 c2q
m
l
November 24, 2011 6:22:41 PM

My bad!!

2.4 Quad Q6600
3.0 Duo E... something

I'll double check the actual processors names.

Thanks guys. I'll add more info once I get home. MWave seemed to have botched my sales history and I can't look it up... no wonder I've only been going to NewEgg for my recent purchases, hahaha.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
November 24, 2011 6:31:22 PM

jkchang626 said:
My bad!!

2.4 Quad Q6600
3.0 Duo E... something

I'll double check the actual processors names.

Thanks guys. I'll add more info once I get home. MWave seemed to have botched my sales history and I can't look it up... no wonder I've only been going to NewEgg for my recent purchases, hahaha.

nothing you said, saint got it wrong
m
l
November 24, 2011 6:51:39 PM

id say the quad would be an upgrade, it will probably oc to 3ghz aswell if you go that route
m
l
!