Sign in with
Your question

Help deciding: ASRock Extreme11 vs ASUS RIVE PCIe 4-way SLI Benchmark?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2012 7:18:30 PM

I'm about to build a new home "workstation" (for 3D modeling, animation, rendering using 3ds Max) and I can't decide between the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (RIVE) or the new ASRock Extreme11 (even though it's pricey!)...

I will be using an intel i7-3930K cpu and 4 EVGA GTX 580 3GB graphics cards in 4-way SLI (eventually will migrate to the GTX 680 4GB cards)... I plan on water-cooling the graphics cards and cpu.

I called ASRock to ask if it would support the GTX580 in 4-way SLI at PCIe 2.0 x16/x16/x16/x16... and the answer is: yes.

I've been reading all the reviews I can find on the Extreme11 (and have learned of some of its shortcomings...) but I cannot find any performance benchmarks for its PCIe 3.0 x16/x16/x16/x16 versus the RIVE PCI 3.0 x16/x8/x8/x8. Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2012 8:49:12 PM

Yeah the Extreme 11 can support 4-way PCIe lanes at 16x 3.0 via( 2X PLX). To maximize you Quad SLI performance the Extreme 11 is the way to go.

It will be hard to find benchmarks for the Asrock board 11 running 4X 16X SLI since I believe its the only board with that support right now. Though Quad 8X speed will be slower most definitely, at that range you need a lot of bandwidth.

PS Holy $hit 2 PLX chips wow!
m
l
August 30, 2012 3:30:45 AM

redeemer said:
Yeah the Extreme 11 can support 4-way PCIe lanes at 16x 3.0 via( 2X PLX). To maximize you Quad SLI performance the Extreme 11 is the way to go.

It will be hard to find benchmarks for the Asrock board 11 running 4X 16X SLI since I believe its the only board with that support right now. Though Quad 8X speed will be slower most definitely, at that range you need a lot of bandwidth.

PS Holy $hit 2 PLX chips wow!

You would think (at least I do...) that the manufacturers would publish these benchmarks themselves to show they're on the top of the competition... (and if they weren't they should go back to the drawing board-- or accept mediocrity I suppose).

I keep reading forum opinions that the 2 PLX chips will result in more (yet unspecified) latency... and that software applications are nowhere near to pegging the x8 bandwidth. I just wish I could find some benchmarks that would compare these two boards in SLI configs.
m
l
August 30, 2012 10:47:42 PM

In my opinion, RIVE is worth only for overclockers.
The question about Asrock (besides its downfalls), is if increasing the bandwith by replacing three x8 per x16 will improve the speed over the extra latency added per the PLX chips.

You may wanna take a look at this article where they compare Z77 motherboards with PLX chips for multi-GPU configurations.
There's an Asrock motherboard in there also, and I remember having read there somewhere a benchmark explaining the latency of the PLX chips.

I hope that helps.
Regards

PS: Oh, I forgot, If you watch the Extreme11 presentation in youtube, they say that SandyBridge-E CPUs don't support PCIe3.0 so it will bring your GPUs down to PCI 2.0 unless you use PLX chips, that that's one of the advantages of the Extreme11, as IvyBridge-E CPUs won't reach the market for long.
m
l
August 31, 2012 12:46:53 AM

Blues_wolf said:
...PS: Oh, I forgot, If you watch the Extreme11 presentation in youtube, they say that SandyBridge-E CPUs don't support PCIe3.0 so it will bring your GPUs down to PCI 2.0 unless you use PLX chips, that that's one of the advantages of the Extreme11, as IvyBridge-E CPUs won't reach the market for long.

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at your link... however, the thread discussion below appears to contradict your above statement:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/336498-28-does-3930k-...

Have you read that post?
m
l
!