Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Socket AM3 Quiet Cooler / Easy Install Recommendations

Last response: in CPUs
November 24, 2011 11:22:52 PM

Hi all I did a search but could not find a thread specific to my question.

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE with stock cooler. I don't overclock and don't care about temperature (it's been running fine for a year).

However, I would like a HS/F that is quieter than the stock fan (especially at max fan speed) and also does not require motherboard removal to mount a backplate. As in, a third party cooler than comes with the same brackets that my stock AM3 HS/F came with. I just want a cooler quieter than stock at max loads/temps that isn't a b*** to install.

All recommendations appreciated, thank you!

More about : socket am3 quiet cooler easy install recommendations

Best solution

a c 900 à CPUs
November 24, 2011 11:41:13 PM

CM Hyper TX3 uses the normal AMD clip http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2011 11:48:17 PM

gravitybear said:
Hi all I did a search but could not find a thread specific to my question.

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE with stock cooler. I don't overclock and don't care about temperature (it's been running fine for a year).

However, I would like a HS/F that is quieter than the stock fan (especially at max fan speed) and also does not require motherboard removal to mount a backplate. As in, a third party cooler than comes with the same brackets that my stock AM3 HS/F came with. I just want a cooler quieter than stock at max loads/temps that isn't a b*** to install.

All recommendations appreciated, thank you!

Check out the top 5 AMD coolers by noise at www.frostytech.com
Score
Related resources
a c 900 à CPUs
November 25, 2011 11:20:17 AM

AM3 and AM2 use the same clip.
Score
November 25, 2011 11:53:12 AM

thanks! didnt know that, that will help expand my search.

The one HSF I picked doesnt seem to be for sale anywhere, which sucks.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2011 6:52:15 PM

gravitybear said:
thanks! didnt know that, that will help expand my search.

The one HSF I picked doesnt seem to be for sale anywhere, which sucks.

Yes AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+ all use the same socket form factor. On the AM3+ boards I've noticed that the socket 940 bracket has been changed to eliminate some of the plastic on the sides, but it still works the same.

I would take a look at a few of the Scythe fans to find something available. All the 3R systems coolers are extremely rare to find, I think they folded or supply European markets or whatever.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2011 6:53:43 PM

Also I'm fairly certain the Igloo 7311 has a 940 coupling.
Score
December 3, 2011 11:10:43 PM

Ok just to be clear, you could use the same HSF on 940, AM2, and AM3? 940 clips will also fit socket AM3?
Score
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2011 11:47:21 PM

gravitybear said:
Ok just to be clear, you could use the same HSF on 940, AM2, and AM3? 940 clips will also fit socket AM3?

yep
Score
December 13, 2011 11:16:41 PM

Best answer selected by gravitybear.
Score
!