Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stuttering Audio/Video and Mouse freezes

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 29, 2012 12:50:18 AM

Ok, so i just built a new desktop about a month back. Here are the Specs:

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Graphics: ASUS Geforce GTX 560 Ti (fermi)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
SSD: 120GB Vertex 3 OCZ
HDD: 320 WD Caviar 7200rpm
PSU: OCZ ZS Series 650W
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

So it used to run fine, then after about 3 weeks of use I started noticing a "stuttering" or "buzzing" whenever I tried to watch/listen to audio or video playback (particularly when i watch YouTube videos) I also noticed that my cursor freezes up at the same time that the stuttering occurs. I immediately checked to see that my graphics drivers were up to date, they were the newest versions. Just to be sure I uninstalled and re installed all the graphics and audio drivers. This didn't help.

After all of this didn't work I decided to completely wipe my system and start over. I formatted both drives and re installed windows. After installing all of the drivers I attempted to watch a YouTube video, and had the same problem.

I initially suspected a software problem, but now I have no clue. I dredged some forums and other people had solved a similar problem by installing a newer version of the Intel rapid storage driver, but that didn't help me either.

Any help would be appreciated.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 1:40:14 AM

Do you have P8Z77-V LE BIOS 0605 from August 9, 2012 installed?
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 1:46:28 PM

I do not, But would a BIOS upgrade really make that much of a difference? I've never flashed BIOS before but I'll try it.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 2:21:39 PM

I would not upgrade bios since it used to work.

First thing would be to check overheating / defective vga or sound card.

Some onboard cards are cheap and can crap out easily if mobo overheated.

If you have access to apci audio card, you could test that out.

Quote:
whenever I tried to watch/listen to audio or video playback (particularly when i watch YouTube videos


I noticed that I had those problems since the new adobe flash patch: they might be the problem.

Also I recently notice that the GTX 560 / GTX 570 / GTX 580 seems to have a high rate of failure, Maybe test another card.

Good luck
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 4:31:32 PM

The first thing I would suggest you try is to remove the discrete graphics card and use the Intel HD Graphics 4000 IGP (i.e. Integrated Graphics Processor) on the Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge CPU for troubleshooting.

If you don't have any stuttering problems when using the Intel HD Graphics 4000 IGP and onboard audio then that would indicate that the problem is with the discrete ASUS Geforce GTX 560 Ti graphics card. If you do have the same stuttering problem then the problem is with the motherboard.
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 9:45:08 PM

You guys are great, thanks for the suggestions! I removed my 560 and plugged everything into the mobo instead. Loaded up a song on youtube, worked perfectly. No sound distortions no stutter, no nothing.

So obviously the problem lies (directly or indirectly) within my graphics card, But before i go RMA'ing everything, My power supply is a 650 watts, is that big enough or could the video card be having issues due to lack of power? I thought a 650watt PSU would be enough to power this machine but I just want a second opinion before I take any action.

The only other things that draw power from the mobo are my mouse and keyboard, my corsair H80 radiator, and a wireless network adapter.

Thanks again!
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 10:24:44 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

The OCZ ZS Series 650W (OCZ-ZS650W), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 9:04:29 PM

I'm experiencing the exact same issues. Did you get anywhere with this?

Asus P8H77-V
Intel i5-3570k
128GB Samsung SSD

I'm using a Radeon 6770 though, which makes me think it's not the graphics card if you're using a Geforce.


Another slightly possibly related problem I'm having, is my brand new Windows 7 installation taking minutes to boot up, off an SSD!

Once I'm actually in Windows, everything's fast, and I get good FPS.
But this stuttering problem is very bad at times :/ 

Btw, I also have problems when watching Youtube videos, and also while I'm on Mumble (voice comms).
Perhaps it's audio related?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 7, 2012 9:22:09 PM

tyj said:
I'm experiencing the exact same issues. Did you get anywhere with this?

Asus P8H77-V
Intel i5-3570k
128GB Samsung SSD

I'm using a Radeon 6770 though, which makes me think it's not the graphics card if you're using a Geforce.


Another slightly possibly related problem I'm having, is my brand new Windows 7 installation taking minutes to boot up, off an SSD!

Once I'm actually in Windows, everything's fast, and I get good FPS.
But this stuttering problem is very bad at times :/ 

Btw, I also have problems when watching Youtube videos, and also while I'm on Mumble (voice comms).
Perhaps it's audio related?

Do you have the latest Intel chipset drivers installed?
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 10:11:20 PM

Pretty sure I did that when I built the PC a week ago, but I've just done them all again. So I'll see how it goes over the next few days.
m
0
l
September 9, 2012 2:16:05 PM

Ok, my PC was fine for all of yesterday.

But last night I turned my PC off, and on again this morning, and now this is happening again...
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2012 5:37:01 PM

I had same problem but only in Firefox browser. In IE youtube videos worked just fine.
I found out that latest flash causes this problem. I installed version 11.2 and now it's fine!
Hope that helps someone.

Lp J
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2012 5:42:28 PM

chapner91 said:
Ok, so i just built a new desktop about a month back. Here are the Specs:

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Graphics: ASUS Geforce GTX 560 Ti (fermi)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
SSD: 120GB Vertex 3 OCZ
HDD: 320 WD Caviar 7200rpm
PSU: OCZ ZS Series 650W
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

So it used to run fine, then after about 3 weeks of use I started noticing a "stuttering" or "buzzing" whenever I tried to watch/listen to audio or video playback (particularly when i watch YouTube videos) I also noticed that my cursor freezes up at the same time that the stuttering occurs. I immediately checked to see that my graphics drivers were up to date, they were the newest versions. Just to be sure I uninstalled and re installed all the graphics and audio drivers. This didn't help.

After all of this didn't work I decided to completely wipe my system and start over. I formatted both drives and re installed windows. After installing all of the drivers I attempted to watch a YouTube video, and had the same problem.

I initially suspected a software problem, but now I have no clue. I dredged some forums and other people had solved a similar problem by installing a newer version of the Intel rapid storage driver, but that didn't help me either.

Any help would be appreciated.

You have a defective motherboard.
The sooner you replace it, the sooner you will be using the computer.
Gigabyte or Intel would be a good route.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 8:30:38 AM

My slow booting problem was caused by a dodgy hard drive (not the boot drive)

The stuttering problem appears to have fixed itself after I formatted and reinstalled Windows.
m
0
l
!