Internet setting problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadtrial

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hello I have a ASRock Z77 motherboard extreme 4 and I am having issues with my download speed.
I had asked about it on the networking forums of this website, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/41712-42-ethernet-cables-speeds. which is where I first assumed it must be my Ethernet cable! I guess I assumed wrong since most Ethernet cables (even older ones) are capable of 1gigabit speeds(I think that's right). So as you may already know by this point, unless you happen to not read the previous post through the link, (In short) My new homebuilt computer that I assembled with extreme care, is having a slow download speed (compared to the speed my laptop has, and the speed of internet that is being payed for from the internet provider(20m)). Note my computer is not slow, it actually plays games fairly well; my download speed is the problem. My router and modem have been deemed not the issue because if they were, my laptop would be having a similar issue. I have also switched out Ethernet cables.

My desktop that I built gets:5-6m down/.10-.20m up on speedtest.net

My laptop gets 12-15m down/1.3-1.8 up on the same site.

I was redirected here because me and bill001g decided it was probably a motherboard setting.

any theories on what to do? bill001g lost me when he started talking about 100 duplex and half duplex and never replied after that.

Again the fist post is here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/41712-42-ethernet-cables-speeds

Thanks!

Solution
I see that the board has a feature called XFAST LAN something comparable to the Network Icontrol that's built into AI Suite II my board has which was giving me problems, try disabling that or unistalling it.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I had a similar issue, except for my upload speeds were really slow and certain websites were horribly slow when loading it was driving me crazy. I ended up updating the LAN drivers to the latest version from the Asus website and it fixed the problem

Didn't see that you already updated them but I checked Asrocks website and it looks like there's Beta Broadcom drivers out that were released 8/22 compared to the ones that came with the board dated 3/8. Try updating that and see if that helps.

Here the link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/index.asp?cat=Beta

Sadtrial

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I changed the slider to 20mbps and i selected modify all network adapters and selected optimal and applied and restarted but it was a no go, the results were still the same

Sadtrial

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I had actually tried it yesterday (I dont know if i do it right) I just go to the website and select the country and open it and run it and etc. I heard some people doing stuff like going in and deleting the whole driver then installing it? I guess trying again wont hurt but I'd like to know if there is a better way of doing it?

Is there someway i can view the driver version in settings and compare it to the website for the rest of my dirvers.

Sadtrial

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Nothing in Msconfig under startup seems like it would do that. (i dont know much about software)
A question that i mentioned in the earlier post that was never answered is, do you thin cfos speed could have a setting in there causing this? im downloading the newer version now

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I see that the board has a feature called XFAST LAN something comparable to the Network Icontrol that's built into AI Suite II my board has which was giving me problems, try disabling that or unistalling it.

Solution
If your wireless is giving you the full speed but your wired connection is giving you a slower speed then the reason is that you have a device connected to your network that is not capable of running at the required speed. Note the network will run at the speed of the slowest device connected to it. What else have you got connected to the network? What speed is your network card? do you have two network adapters in your computer one slow and the other one fast? how are you connected to the router? any other devices? etc.

Sadtrial

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

All I have in my desktop computer is I52500k, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, 500gb 7200 rpm (I think i have it connected to the 6gb SATA connector on the motherboard), a cd/dvd drive, 650watt PSU, and an AMD 7850. I'm using the motherboards standard LAN connector on the IO shield, and I'm connected to my router through ethernet. My laptop gets the faster speeds on a wireless connection to the same router than my desktop. The things connected to the router are my mothers computer connected to the router, my lil bros Laptop, my sisters laptop, my laptop, the wii, my xbox 360 (through Ethernet), mine and my sisters ipod occasionally, and finally my desktop. The only connected through ethernet are my desktop and xbox and my xbox was off during these speedtest. when i right click on my LAN connection on my desktop and click the status thing my connectivity is 100mbps, my internet speed is around 12-15mbps on my laptop because of all the devices we have, even though we pay for 20 mbps so I'm fine with 12-15 mbps if I can get my desktop to preform that. Sorry I have been away.

Sadtrial

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I have to say man, thank you so much. I thought of updating it and stuff to see if it'd work, but i never thought the xfast was the problem? Unfortunately though I got a blue screen when I uninstalled it and my computer restarted itself and I was 50% in downloading a large game :L
Why would you think it would be holding my download speed back?
Anyways at least now I can download the game a lot faster!

Status
Not open for further replies.