Fan placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg01

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I have a SilverStone SUGO case, M-ATX-Z68 MOBO, GTX580 graphics, and I7 Sandy Springs, generating heat . The case has 2 intake fans in the front, that's it.

The MOBO is vertical in the chassis, on the left side. I plan to add a ~140 or larger side exhaust fan on the OUTSIDE of the case.

Should I place the fan on the left so as to exhaust the heat and at the same time cool the MOBO or put the exhaust fan on the right side of the case?

Optimal fan placement is as follows: Front and side fans IN, top and rear fans OUT. Your major problem is that you don't have a rear exhaust fan drawing hot air out of your case. It should be mounted at the back of the case and as close to the top as possible. I cannot believe that a Silverstone case would not have one as stock though.

rg01

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Herr Koos,

Thank you for the follow up.

The case is a SG04-F from Silverstone and it has two 120mm fans in the front. Images on their web site are at http://www.silverstonetek.com/prod [...] 5&area=usa

There is one expansion slot at the rear-top that I could place a PCI slot case cooler but not sure this would exhaust enough air.

I am not adverse to modding the case, thus is it better to put 2 external ~120 mm fans on each side case panel, blowing air into the case rather than relying on PCI slot case coolers?

If you would, look at the image and you will see what the challenge is.

I appreciate any insight you may offer.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
You could mod the top of the case and put a high cfm fan to exhaust some of the heat.

you could try and replace one of the stock fans (before you do any modding) and see if that drops the temps as well. if it does, then you could purcahse an additional high cfm fan and opt for a pure push system, or positive airflow system, without the need to mod.

If temps drop with one fan by a reasonable amount, then you know that a pure push system may be the best way to go for that particular case.

Couple questions

What are your temps?
Do you care about noise in your fans?

IF you dont care you could get two of these for the +airflow setup
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054

You could also try CM sickleflow fans they are rated at 69 cfm, and are pretty quiet. There are other more quiet options that have similar if not better cfm, but not for the price.
If you mod the case you should opt for fan placement on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.