Noob questions about G.Skill Ripjaws RL VS XL VS XM

Status
Not open for further replies.

oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
So a while back I bought 12 sets of G.Skill Ripjaws memory that I was going to use to build a variety of stock computers for our game center. They are all 2x4GB modules but they have different item numbers and timings, etc.

Can someone please explain to me the differences between these modules as well as what types of MOBO's I can use these on? I want to build a few extra PC's for our game center but don't know what parts can go with them. I also don't know which ones are the best, obviously the 12800 ram is faster but I didn't know if the CL8D-8GBXM or CL9D-8GBXL is faster.

I have 3 sets of F3-12800CL9D-GBXL, 5 sets of F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, and 4 sets of F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL.

Solution
When looking at ram numbers, there are two things to look at - speed of the ram, represtented by the 12800 and 10666 numbers there with, as you pointed out, the 12800 being faster. The other number of importance is the Cas Latency number which represents a delay which is the number after CL (Cas Latency - also referred to as timing) with the lower number there representing less delay (being quicker). In your case the numbers 8 and 9 represent how many clock cycles of delay before the computer's request for data gets fulfilled by the ram.
You can use those ram modules on any motherboard that acccepts DDR3 ram, the 10666 (also known as 1333MHz ram) can be used by any CPU/motherboard combination that accepts DDR3 ram and the 12800...
When looking at ram numbers, there are two things to look at - speed of the ram, represtented by the 12800 and 10666 numbers there with, as you pointed out, the 12800 being faster. The other number of importance is the Cas Latency number which represents a delay which is the number after CL (Cas Latency - also referred to as timing) with the lower number there representing less delay (being quicker). In your case the numbers 8 and 9 represent how many clock cycles of delay before the computer's request for data gets fulfilled by the ram.
You can use those ram modules on any motherboard that acccepts DDR3 ram, the 10666 (also known as 1333MHz ram) can be used by any CPU/motherboard combination that accepts DDR3 ram and the 12800 (1600MHz) can also be used on most motherboards that accept DDR3 ram although there is a possibiliy of it running at 1333MHz if the speed and timings are not manually set or if the motherboard does not provide for that speed. You can also look for the motherboard's QVL (memory support list) to make sure your motherboard choice(s) will play nice with the ram.
Hope it helped and isn't too confusing.

Solution
DDR3-1600 depends on whether your motherboard and CPU can support it, but if not, it can still work by configuring settings to DDR3-1333. A DDR3-1600 CL8 kit is capable of low timings at DDR3-1333, so performance can still very very good even though it is not operating at DDR3-1600. The performance value of the RAM is never lost if configured properly.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.