Talking of NES ...

Hi,
I know, perhaps I post in the wrong group, still one of you might know
what is a reasonable price for NES Cartridges (rare, regular, plenty
offers) containing nice games (like the SMBs) AND (perhaps even from
personal experience) if any (!) NES game can be played on any (!) NES
console. < I konw the difference between famicom and NES though - it
is 60 pin or 72 pin, right?).
Please feel free to tell me also about your experince with not so very
much nintendo consoles that are NES anyway but look like Playstations
(...somehow ;-) )
cheers,
Stephan

"Stephan M." <balu007@gmx.de> wrote in message news:421e204f.3160534@news.individual.de...
> Hi,
> I know, perhaps I post in the wrong group, still one of you might know
> what is a reasonable price for NES Cartridges (rare, regular, plenty
> offers) containing nice games (like the SMBs) AND (perhaps even from
> personal experience) if any (!) NES game can be played on any (!) NES
> console. < I konw the difference between famicom and NES though - it
> is 60 pin or 72 pin, right?).
> Please feel free to tell me also about your experince with not so very
> much nintendo consoles that are NES anyway but look like Playstations
> (...somehow ;-) )
> cheers,
> Stephan

What?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Stephan M." wrote in message
> Hi,
> I know, perhaps I post in the wrong group, still one of you might know
> what is a reasonable price for NES Cartridges (rare, regular, plenty
> offers) containing nice games (like the SMBs) AND (perhaps even from
> personal experience) if any (!) NES game can be played on any (!) NES
> console. < I konw the difference between famicom and NES though - it
> is 60 pin or 72 pin, right?).
> Please feel free to tell me also about your experince with not so very
> much nintendo consoles that are NES anyway but look like Playstations
> (...somehow ;-) )
> cheers,
> Stephan

Hi,

I had to read your message a couple times to make it out, but your English
is definetly better than my Deutsch. :^)

I still play NES games often. These days I don't pull out the ol' NES
console to play though. I mainly just play NES games on a GBA-SP using a
flashcart and NES emulation. In fact, I play NES games on my GBA more often
than I play GBA games on it.

Yeah, the ol' NES console used 72-pin cartridges. About a year ago, in
fact, I ordered a couple new 72-pin edge connectors to replace the aged
connector in my NES. The NES edge connector was well known for eventually
"wearing down" and causing connectivity problems with the cartridges. (The
good ol' "blinking NES syndrome".) Putting a new edge connector in the NES
basically made it brand new again -- and the spare can be used 20 years from
now when that one wears down. :^)

NES pricing? Not sure about the "rare" games, but the common games (SMB)
usually go for anywhere from $5 to $20 in the US at retail game stores. The
last NES cartridge I bought was "Contra" (loved that game but lost my
original cart), which was $10.

Playing NES on other systems? NES emulation is probably the most common
emulation for all consoles. Only other console that I have used for NES
emulation was a Dreamcast though. Works great on a DC and you can
completetly customize all your menu screens. With a GBA flashcart and a GBA
Player connected to a Gamecube, you can also easily play NES games with a GC
as well.

Cheers!
-Eric

Hello,

sorry for my English and thanks for the replys. I will try to be less
cryptic.
The console I have in mind might be considered a NES pirate console
from Hongkong called the Mastergames system. It is probably designed
to fool parents who want an opportunity to provide a child with a
playstation, two controllers, a lightgun and 14 games (within the
console) at about 12 Dollars. It looks very (!) much like a PSX.
It is said, that these consoles feature a NES-slot and can run NES
games. That (!) and the hardware (lightgun etc) , is the interesting
thing about it.
It should enable anybody to play old cartridges on new hardware and is
therefore interesting to people who like old games, new hardware and
do not have a lot of cash to spend.
I think this makes clear why someone could be interested in the price
of used NES/Famicom cartridges, their technical details and if they
really would run on such a machine (any firsthand reports?).
cheers
Stephan

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Hello,
>
> sorry for my English and thanks for the replys. I will try to be less
> cryptic.
> The console I have in mind might be considered a NES pirate console
> from Hongkong called the Mastergames system. It is probably designed
> to fool parents who want an opportunity to provide a child with a
> playstation, two controllers, a lightgun and 14 games (within the
> console) at about 12 Dollars. It looks very (!) much like a PSX.
> It is said, that these consoles feature a NES-slot and can run NES
> games. That (!) and the hardware (lightgun etc) , is the interesting
> thing about it.
> It should enable anybody to play old cartridges on new hardware and is
> therefore interesting to people who like old games, new hardware and
> do not have a lot of cash to spend.
> I think this makes clear why someone could be interested in the price
> of used NES/Famicom cartridges, their technical details and if they
> really would run on such a machine (any firsthand reports?).
> cheers
> Stephan

Hi,

No apologies for your English needed. :^)

Is this the Mastergame system you are refering to (?):

http://www.nesworld.com/playplus.htm

If so, that is pretty sweet! You have also sparked my interest in whether
it plays both Famicom and NES as well. Wouldn't mind tracking one of these
animals down myself.

Cheers!
-Eric

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Eric" <ericmau001a@hotmail.remove.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> No apologies for your English needed. :^)
>
> Is this the Mastergame system you are refering to (?):
>
> http://www.nesworld.com/playplus.htm
>
> If so, that is pretty sweet! You have also sparked my interest in whether
> it plays both Famicom and NES as well. Wouldn't mind tracking one of
these
> animals down myself.

(Adding to my own post)

From the description (if that is the system you were refering to), it seems
to be Famicom (60-pin) only.

Wasn't there a Famicom<-->NES (60pin to 72pin) converter? Seem to recall
coming across one once.
If a converter would work, and could find one of these Mastergames for the
right price, may just pick one up also.

Speaking of clones, lately I've been seeing various NES clones being sold
blatantly at mall kiosks here in the US. I have no idea how they are
getting away with it as they are clearly using unlicensed ROMs. (Each of
these "clones" has like 100+ ROMS built in. On the box, it says that you are
only to play the ROMs that you physically own cartridges for.) These clones
are absurdly expensive ($70US+) and are literally pieces of complete
garbage. (Very cheaply constructed of ultra-thin plastic, horrible response
times, very weak video output. Total scam and joke.)

Cheers!
-Eric

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ah!

Just did a deja search and found that converting Famicom<-->NES is actually
very easily. There are indeed adapters. Some of the early games (i.e.,
"Hogan's Alley") even had such an adapter built inside the cart. Just get
one of these old carts, tear it apart, and use it's adapter.

Hello Eric,

>Is this the Mastergame system you are refering to (?):
>
>http://www.nesworld.com/playplus.htm

Yep, that is exactly what I have in mind.
Look for example here
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=187&item=8172823952&rd=1
or here
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12016&item=8172874366&rd=1
(good pictures)
to see one for sale on the german eBay (where a search "mastergames"
produces a lot of results). They go fo something like 8 US Dollars
(more if you buy instantly) plus about 6 US Dollars shipping within
germany. They are shipped worldwide though ;-)
Now, a source for Multirom-cartridges might be probably more difficult
to find.

The advertising texts are funny. I once asked one of the auctiioneers
who talked of high quality digital stereo sound (8-bit) showing one
(!) RCA plug for sound how this possibly could be stereo (the other
two were for RF signal and video out). No reply. :-D

I am really curios what sort of techno trash that is. They are so
cheap, you could furnish some sort of underground retro club with them
:)

I think I will get my hands on one of those, just for the fun of it.
cheers
Stephan

>If so, that is pretty sweet! You have also sparked my interest in whether
>it plays both Famicom and NES as well. Wouldn't mind tracking one of these
>animals down myself.
>
>Cheers!
>-Eric

Hi Eric,
well I am not good in handling stuff that probably requires soldering
on a multilayer board after turning screws with weird screwdrivers.
I think it would be wise to stick with the cartridges that fit or get
a readymade converter. Anyway it would probably be best to check out
the console first and then decide if the hardware is worth the trouble
(and does not brake down while trying to play F1 or Duck Hunt).
Breaking down ist something I can expect from cheap toys. There must
be a reason for the cheap price (unless it is not cheaply made and I
am pretty naive concerning costs for material and wages in tha far
east).

good night
Stephan