Upgrade question??

Tags:
  • G.SKILL
  • Memory
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
August 29, 2012 8:21:56 AM

currently i have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and i was wondering if i purchase this kit again can i upgrade to 16gb or do i need to look into an actual 16gb set? I have heard that g.skill pairs their kits to work right and some wont work doubled. I think it will work, and everything looks like it will but just not sure. I have ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 MB.

More about : upgrade question

a b } Memory
August 29, 2012 11:06:58 AM

Although it is usually suggested that ram be bought in kits, I have purchased two identical kits at different times and had no problems (I've done that a few times). There is the possibility of them not playing well together but if you have the ram and simply want to add identical sticks I don't think the risk of incompatibility is that great that you should spend more for a full kit.
My $0.02 worth
m
l
a b } Memory
August 29, 2012 12:05:52 PM

Two identical dual channel kits is the same as a quad channel kit.
m
l
Related resources
a c 115 } Memory
August 29, 2012 4:35:14 PM

Technically not, each kit will have perfectly matched memory to be used in a single system for optimal performance. It is possible to have two kits that do not work well together, so keep this in mind. But since you already have a kit, go ahead and get another one to add and take that risk. If there is any problem, contact us directly, we can troubleshoot and provide a solution. We will make sure 16GB is working flawlessly in your computer.

Best Regards
GSKILL SUPPORT

geekapproved said:
Two identical dual channel kits is the same as a quad channel kit.

m
l
August 29, 2012 7:29:11 PM

well nice to see gskill has a rep watching these forums. Ill keep this in mind as i start looking towards upgrading, just hate to shell out another 50bucks only to have to buy a 16gb kit in the end haha
m
l
!