Sign in with
Your question

Wait for Ivy Bridge, or build a new Sandy Bridge system now?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 25, 2011 6:56:24 AM

For the past few months, I have been planning an upgrade to my current system. I do a lot of video editing (editing weekly episodes of my school's TV broadcast, other personal videos) in Premiere and After Effects, and my current rig just isn't cutting it; I can't usually even play back what I am working with if there are a lot of layers/effects in AE, and it sometimes chokes when playing back a couple of 1080p tracks in Premiere. Encoding takes an ungodly amount of time.

Current specs:

Core 2 Quad Q6700 (OC'ed to 3.2Ghz, temps are very good but I can't get it to run stable any higher :(  )
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-USB3
2x 4GB Patriot DDR3-1333
Crucial 128GB SSD + 2TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

I'm definitely planning to get a new Nvidia card. Probably a 550Ti to take advantage of the Adobe acceleration on Nvidia cards, but since I don't game, not overkill (does 550Ti seem like a good choice, or is something better/better value around the corner)?

My main issue is that I planned on waiting for Ivy Bridge to upgrade, but I wanted to upgrade this Christmas and I see that Ivy Bridge won't be out until Q2 next year :( 

Does building a new Sandy Bridge system (i.e. Core i5 2500K, 16GB RAM) make sense right now, or is that foolish given that Ivy Bridge is coming soon?

Thoughts/advice appreciated :) 
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2011 8:28:25 AM

I intend to build a 2500k system over the coming weeks. It should be done in time for Christmas. Considering the raw potential and bang for buck on the Sandy bridge chips its hard to say no, and its something I can no longer do, my Q6600 at 3.5 is slowing me up these days...5 years and its still going though!
If you use the Z68 chipset with Rev3 you will get the full PCI-E 3.0 support once an Ivy Bridge chip is dropped in :D , seeing as they are backwards compatible with the Sandy Bridge boards! so If you really wanted Ivy bridge, replace your 2500k with it when its released
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2011 8:28:40 AM

I intend to build a 2500k system over the coming weeks. It should be done in time for Christmas. Considering the raw potential and bang for buck on the Sandy bridge chips its hard to say no, and its something I can no longer do, my Q6600 at 3.5 is slowing me up these days...5 years and its still going though!
If you use the Z68 chipset with Rev3 you will get the full PCI-E 3.0 support once an Ivy Bridge chip is dropped in :D , seeing as they are backwards compatible with the Sandy Bridge boards! so If you really wanted Ivy bridge, replace your 2500k with it when its released
m
l
!