120Hz in 3D Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 120Hz 3D monitors out there, though I was wondering if they run games at 120Hz refresh rates when you don't turn on the 3D option in the game and don't use glasses (2D).

Basically, can I get 120Hz refresh rates out of one of these monitors in 2D-gaming mode?

The reason I ask is the listed vertical refresh rate for the Asus VG236H 23" 2ms 1920x1080 Full HD 120Hz 3D monitor ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product ) on newegg is:

Analog: 50 - 122 Hz
Digital: 50 - 85 Hz

Does that mean I'll only get 85Hz at most from this monitor using a DVI cable while getting higher refresh rates from a VGA cable (122Hz)?

Where does the 120Hz come into play?

This is confusing. I'm looking to get something that can match my frame rates which are well above the 60Hz of my current monitor. Please help me understand this.

Also, which 3D monitor is most recommended?

Solution
Usually with TV's theirs a chip in it which will convert the source into a 120hz picture.So in reailty it isn't truely a 120hz picture because the TV is converting it from a 60hz to 120hz picture.

I'm guessing they do that because cable companies would have to redo all of their cables to carry the higher bandwidth that 120hz+ calls for.

The conversion chip can't be said the same about monitors but it makes me assume that they might be the same.

I just looked around and it seems all the monitors in digital mode are all below 100hz.Since 3D requires a really fast refresh rate it is possible that they just convert it to a higher hz.Not sure about the sepcifics.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I have a Viewsonic 120hz monitor and it definately does 120hz in 2d mode, when I turn on V-synch I'm at 120 fps in MSI afterburner in games that I can run that fast. I can't say for sure about that Asus but a monitor capable of doing 60hz per eye in 3d mode should also do 120hz in 2D mode. I mean it is advertized as a 120hz monitor....

Do you understand my confusion though with the description on that monitor? I looked at the product title stating 120Hz, then in the specs it says something different.

Which Viewsonic do you have? What do you like/dislike about it? How long have you had it?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

I do understand your confusion, I'm a little confused myself, I thought the video card did the switching between 2d and 3d modes and the monitor just ran in the same mode all the time. I have the vx2265wm. I like everything except that it isn't bigger and there are no picture adjustments, you have to use the nvidia control panel, but thats not a big deal. I've had it since around october of last year, I got it used for 150 bucks on amazon marketplace. I looked up the specs for mine and it says Fh: 65~185kHz, Fv: 60~120Hz, so maybe Asus is cheating on there 120hz screens.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

I have the same monitor. If I go into the settings while it's in 2d mode it says 120hz. I am using the DVI cable it came with it. I honestly don't know why it says only 85hz when it clearly shows 120hz in the control panel (???), and it has to be 120hz to run 3d vision. I don't get any flickering what so ever in 3d mode. I did have to force 120hz in the driver settings though as it defaults to 60hz. I do have a review on newegg if you want to read it. It's a great monitor IMO, only thing I don't really like is the glossy screen and the buttons are hard to press and menu is confusing. Performance is awsome for gaming though. I have a dell 24" ultrasharp and a Samsung 24" TOC and after using this monitor for a couple of days I decided to use it as my main monitor.
I Hope that helped a lil bit.

(edit: I do run the monitor in 1920 x 1080 or 1080p, forgot to put that in there, thought it might be important, lol.)

Solution

Yours actually does spec at 120Hz. Most of the 3D monitors listed on the double-B or new egg as 120Hz 3D mean exactly that in 3D mode they run at 120Hz vertical refresh. In 2D they generally run at the usual 60Hz at their native resolution.

So, through this exercise, I'm finding that when a monitor lists as a 120Hz monitor, you definitely need to look a little further to determine if this is a full-time spec (2D and 3D) or not. If the listed vertical refresh rate is displayed as something less than 120Hz, this means the monitor runs 2D at the lower refresh rate. Kind of stinks.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
All I know is that this is what it shows in 2d mode.

asus2d120hz.jpg

The big thing to look for on a 120hz monitor is a dual link DVI plug and cable. You can always by the cable separate, but if the plug in is not a dual link DVI plug, it won't work (it won't have a block of missing pins in the middle). Most TV's will use HDMI which cannot carry 120hz at 1080p.

As far as gaming goes, most games will use the 120hz of your monitor if it's there, but not all games. Crysis 2 for example will not use the 120hz refresh rate, but it will if 3D is enabled.

Did you notice the difference in the picture when you started running in 2D mode at 120Hz?

Also, I'd like to read your review. How do I get to it?

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Of coarse, tearing and ghosting is non existent. Makes a huge difference. I'll never buy another monitor that isn't at least 120hz.

Here is a link to my review, i'm under the same name as in here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236092&cm_re=asus_3d_monitor-_-24-236-092-_-Product

neweggasus3dmonitorrevi.jpg

I didn't buy mine at newegg I bought it at Fry's electronics about an hour from where I live, so I bought a 3 year store warranty with it, so if it ever goes bad in that time, all I have to do is bring it in and they will repair it or replace it if it can't be repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.