ATI Radeon 850XT seems damaged by lightning

tgferg67

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Hi,
I seem to have a damaged ATI Radeon 850XT after some lightning. There is no output through DVI but I noticed the VGA output is still there.
Does this seem consistant with the card being damaged or could it be a motherboard problem? The motherboard VGA works also. I do also have a damaged/non working ethernet port on the motherboard. Everything else seems to be ok. I am considering getting another graphics card and an ethernet card.

Heh, I still have my Radeon 8500 around on my old P3 rig (I can't seem to get rid of 'em xD). Nice times, really; when I saved for half a year to buy it, lol (freshman at the University).

Anyway, the subject at hand... Have you tried with another adapter or something like that? The adapter could have died also. The port itself could have died too, since you still get VGA signal it means the card is still working fine from the inside.

And if you game a little, yes, upgrading the 850XT will be very beneficial IMO. Cheap cards today give you more performance (FPS's) and use less power too. Those cards are the 6670/6570 (don't like lower than that, but are valid options) on the AMD/ATI side and GT430/GT520/GT545 on the nVidia side.

Cheers!

EDIT: Typo