Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XFX PRO650W won't turn on. Any help is appreciated!

Last response: in Components
November 25, 2011 9:56:55 AM

Updated thread. The other one was closed.

Last night, after finishing building my new system, I was configuring the BIOS.
I had to install Windows 7, and my case was resting on its side, so I decided to stand it up to insert the DVD.
Note: My new computer couldn't POST while standing up. It would only POST while resting on its side.

As I was raising it, the computer shut down. The front LED was blinking in some strange funky way, so I dc'ed the PSU and waited to turn it on again. It didn't. :ouch: 

No smoke, no funky blue lights, no burnt smell.

When connected and turned on (the PSU), there's no MoBo lights, no fans spinning, no PSU fan spinning.
I feared a Short might have happened there. :( 

I have tried the GPU and HDDs in my old computer.

GPU fan works, but it shows no signal. I might have to redo this procedure, as I was pretty nervous/angry at the moment, and I might have not fit the card completely in the board.
Tried another old GPU I had and it shows signal with no problems. (Dead GPU? :??:  )

HDDs work fine. Data is still there, it is readable and writable with no problems.

Here comes the sad part. I don't have any means to test the other new components.
I fear they might have fried (and 400$+ were burnt as well), but I heard my PSU has Short Circuit Protection and other overvoltage/current emergency procedures and protocols.

Is my PSU really dead? Or is it just circuit-broken due to the SC and I just have to reset it (how?)?.

Is there any chance my other components and my GPU were damaged during this episode?

How do the SCP and over V/C protocols work?

In case this wasn't accidental, but a DOA PSU, does the retailer have any responsibility over my other possibly damaged components?

These items were bought from Newegg like 4-5 months ago. The reason is I live in Bolivia, so I had them brought by a relative just a week ago. Even tho I'm out of RMA time, and this might be considered my fault, are there any procedures for repairing/refunding/replacement that I might follow? 400$+ is pretty steep for a college student here, and losing them in a sec due to a probable mistake, accident or a faulty PSU is pretty harsh. I can have the same relative bring the components to USA again, but I'm wondering how should I proceed to get something back (in case something else is damaged).

I deeply appreciate any help on this subject.

Thank you in advance. :) 

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 25, 2011 1:39:05 PM

Disconnect everything, take the motherboard and the PSU out of the case and put it on a wooden table.

Plug the PSU into the two slots on the motherboard and the connections on the video card.

Try to turn it on with RAM and Processor in it.

Tell me what happens.

It sounds like your problems are entirely logistical, as if there is metal on the motherboard somehow touching the case. If that is the case, then if you put it on the table it should work.
November 27, 2011 2:02:46 PM

Thanks for your help! I finally discovered the idiotic problem. The 24-pin PSU cable wasn't well secured in the slot, so when I moved the case it stopped shorting the activation signal for the PSU.

xD

Anyways, thanks for your help again!

Related resources
November 27, 2011 2:03:06 PM

Best answer selected by Persheis.
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2011 2:09:00 PM

Glad I could get you on the right track.
!