Tons of questions about Crossfire, SLI, PhysX, and more :o

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Hello all. I want to say thank you ahead of time for reading this thread.

I want to say really quick, Id appreciate it if you guys answered by QUOTING this, picking the questions you can answer, and just making your answers BOLD under my questions, if you guys did that thatd be great!

How much wattage would you guys recommend for a build with 2 x 6870s and an i5-2500K processor?

What motherboards would you guys recommend for crossfiring, either dual x8 or dual x16 that are not too expensive? The more suggestions I could get the better.

Thing is, Im not too experienced with picking video cards, I find myself picking the 6870 again and again for others because I cant find cards that are a lot better unless its $150 more, and that gives like 10-15 FPS, which I dont think is needed if the 6870 outputs 60+ FPS on a 1920 x 1200 res for a game like BC2, maybe you guys can give me different viewpoints on this?

How do 2 x 6870s sound? They have AMAZING performance for the price, very nice budget card in my opinion, I cant seem to justify any other card above that because the performance boost for the price difference just isnt worth it, anyone care to correct me? I dont know much about nVidias cards

Also, how hard is taking apart a video card and applying thermal paste on it? Does it make a big difference, I would assume it would?

Other than the 6870, what cards would you guys recommend crossfiring/SLI...ing >_>?

[strike]I had a question about the performance different on a motherboard that has 2 x8 PCI-E slots vs a mobo with 2 x16 slots, is there really that big of a difference? Is it worth getting a mobo that has 2 x16 slots, or is the performance boost minimal? I know they're quite a bit more expensive if Im not mistaken (ANSWERED)

Also, I believe SLI and Crossfire can support up to 4 cards at a time am I right? If not how many for each? (ANSWERED)

If you can have 3 or 4 cards, what is it thats refraining people from putting in lets say 4 x 6990s, I believe this is not possible, someone mind explaining? I know the 6990 is dual-GPU, so why cant we have say 8 GPUs XD? (ANSWERED)

Also, is there any difference between SLI and Crossfire other than one being for AMD and other for nVidia? Is one better than the other? (ANSWERED)

What is PhysX exactly? How is it achieved? I know it's only with nVidia cards. How does it help, which kinds of games does it help in? (ANSWERED)

What is "scaling" exactly? I keep hearing it, never got around to finding out what it was. (ANSWERED)

What are the 2 latest dual-GPU cards for nVidia, I know AMD has 5790 and 6990, and nVidia has a 590 but I dont know what their last gen dual-GPU card was. (ANSWERED)

Would anyone here suggest 5xxx series cards still? Because the 58xx series for example is good, better than most of the 6xxx series, is there any reason someone shouldnt buy a 5xxx series? I feel like new builds are so limited to just the new gen cards. (ANSWERED)

How many FPS would you guys recommend for a very enjoyable experience, I hear 60 a lot. (ANSWERED)

Would getting a say 6870 and 6850 cause conflicts, or maybe bottleneck each other? Im pretty sure you can hook up diff cards although this isnt recommended/common practice? (ANSWERED)[/strike]

Again please QUOTE the questions you wanna answer and answer below questions in BOLD :O

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Doesnt really answer my questions... From what I understand scaling is how much efficiency is added by adding additional cards, so 170% with 2 cards is considered better scaling than 2 cards giving 150% am I correct?

It says 3 way SLI and Xfire but Im pretty sure you can have 4...

Anyone wanna actually answer my questions?

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
I'll give it a shot:

1.How many PCI-E lanes you have for multi card setups depend on the chipset, like X58 allows for dual x16 while P55, P67 and Z68 supports only dual X8. This is true for SLI as well as Crossfire.

2. The performance difference between PCI-E x8 and x16 in multi card setup is negligible, as long as you compare the same PCI-E version.

3. They can support a maximum of four cards.But you cannot get this for every card. Like GTX 460s are limited to dual SLI, while the GTX 480 can be quad SLI-ed. It also depends on the motherboard. Few motherboards support quad SLI or Quad CrossfireX.

4. Yes, apart from the name there is no difference between SLI and Crossfire. But you can throw in two diffreent cards of the same series like a HD 5870 and HD5850 in crossfire. SLI requires you to have the exact same card. Model must be same, but manufacturer may be different.

5. 4 HD 6990s in Crossfire is not possible because drivers dont support it. Moreover, you'll get huge bottlenecks in such a case.

6.PhysX is a proprietary Physics SDK(software development kit) owned by NVIDIA. It does calculations for Physics effect on a supported GPU. It can be done on the CPU, but NVIDIA intentionally makes it painfully slow on the CPU due to outdated code so that it can get money from developers by making them support it. A limited number of games support it and the benefits are largely superficial. A lot of games can do physics without PhysX, like Crysis.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

I understand what you mean, but you have to understand, Im asking questions, and I get linked to a 10 page article that just talks about scaling, thats basically about it, it answered maybe 2 questions of mine, after me reading through all those pages, I also know how to just google things or give people links, but that doesnt mean its efficient. Its like a kid asking you how to do basic algebra and you hand him a book, the kid can also think of getting a book and reading himself, doesnt necessarily mean thats what hes looking for.

Good portion of my questions have been answered, thank you, I hope others can answer the rest?

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Its really dependent on the chipset on how many lanes it will support. X58 can support 32 PCI-E lanes, if I'm not mistaken, so it can be split into 4 x 8 to bet a quad GPU setup. This is where the limitations arise in other chipsets. To get more than 2 cards running, they need a NF 200 chip for SLI.

Scaling in layman's terms is the amount of extra fps's you get at the the same settings when the other card(s) are added, if the game in question goes from 50 fps to 100 fps then that would be 100% scaling because the frame rate has been doubled.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Excellent thats exactly what I thought. Ive learned something new, now I gotta start learning how these shaders and clock speeds and all that stuff work

How bout these questions:

How do 2 x 6870s sound? They have AMAZING performance for the price, very nice budget card in my opinion, I cant seem to justify any other card above that because the performance boost for the price difference just isnt worth it, anyone care to correct me? I dont know much about nVidias cards

What are the 2 latest dual-GPU cards for nVidia, I know AMD has 5790 and 6990, and nVidia has a 590 but I dont know what their last gen dual-GPU card was.

Other than the 6870, what cards would you guys recommend crossfiring/SLI...ing >_>?

Would anyone here suggest 5xxx series cards still? Because the 58xx series for example is good, better than most of the 6xxx series, is there any reason someone shouldnt buy a 5xxx series? I feel like new builds are so limited to just the new gen cards.

How much wattage would you guys recommend for a build with 2 x 6870s and an i5-2500K processor?

What motherboards would you guys recommend for crossfiring, either dual x8 or dual x16 that are not too expensive? The more suggestions I could get the better.

Thing is, Im not too experienced with picking video cards, I find myself picking the 6870 again and again for others because I cant find cards that are a lot better unless its $150 more, and that gives like 10-15 FPS, which I dont think is needed if the 6870 outputs 60+ FPS on a 1920 x 1200 res for a game like BC2, maybe you guys can give me different viewpoints on this?

Also, how hard is taking apart a video card and applying thermal paste on it? Does it make a big difference, I would assume it would?

How many FPS would you guys recommend for a very enjoyable experience, I hear 60 a lot.

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

FIRST EDIT:: crossfire can be done with different cards, here is a link to the chart put out by AMD about it:
http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Illustrations/WebBannerJPEG/AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

SECOND EDIT:: so yes, it would cause bottlenecks to use a 5870 and a 5850

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
What do you mean it would only be used for multiple monitors, crossfire is used for 1 monitor all the time... >_>?

GTX 560 Ti's are more expensive than 6870s and dont give a considerable FPS boost if Im not mistaken

Youre saying I need a 1000W PSU for just 2 x 6870s? You're kidding right..?

So can both Nvidia and AMD use diff cards when in SLI/Xfire?