Sli surround + 4th monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradleyb1972

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Not finding a lot of information on this configuration... I am getting ready to build out a system for upwards of 10k, but have a question about the z68 chipset and using the embedded video capabilities to run a separate monitor while having 3 monitors in an sli surround setup. Let me explain.

I am planning to buy a 2600k (overclocked to 5GHz) and the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z. I am also planning to add 3 overclocked 3GB GTX 580's in 3-way SLI. I'll have 3 30inch 2560x1600 monitors running in portrait surround mode. I'd like to have a 4th monitor running to surf the web while I'm gaming across my surround setup. Can I do this and will it work? Will it slow anything down?

Before someone tells me to go the eyefinity route with a radeon solution, the radeons won't allow me to run multiple instances of the same game across my main monitor setup (multiboxing). This is a known issue and forces me to go the NVIDIA/SLI route.

I am also aware of the ability to add a 4th monitor with the surround setup just using my discreet cards. I know that this is an option, but would prefer not to do anything that would slow down my 3rd card. If I can have that 4th monitor running off it's own gpu, that'd be ideal.

I just want to know if I can add a 4th monitor running a web browser to the built in video provided by the z68/2600k combo while also keeping my sli surround setup running in top working order???

Advice on the best possible setup is much appreciated. I'm spending up to 10k here, so want to maximize every aspect of my investment.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
1. 10k on a PC is the furthest from an "investment", especially into triple 3GB 580s when the next gen is around the corner. I'm not saying don't spend the money, I run some pretty expensive crap too, just don't delude yourself that it will be any kind of investment.

2. gaming in portrait lol

3. for 10K you're getting on Z68 instead of X79?

4. You're not going to be buying a 2600K "overclocked" to 5Ghz. You'll be overclocking it yourself and for an extra $20 you can get a 2700K which actually stands a chance at getting to that frequency with less than a chip-abusing 1.5Vcore

5. Your use of the term investment, combined with "multiboxing" leads me to believe you're planning some kind of game farming, I don't know if you mean wow gold, or the upcoming diablo3, but let me tell you something. This is a fiscally disastrous waste of your time and effort, and it's an even worse idea than spending the 10K on parts that have been on the market for a year already.

Bradleyb1972

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
As this was posted close to 6 months ago, none of those things were on the market when this machine was being built. And you are correct... I was only able to get the CPU UP TO 4.8 GHz stable... Solid for a 2600k running on air.

Not farming - not one of those kinds of people. I run a 10 man multiboxing team from one PC. There are other games I also play that use more horsepower. ...and, it's my time and money to waste of course.

Lastly... Thanks for not answering the actual question. It does work by the way... I have 2 19 ASUS accessory displays (now tied to a dedicated GTS 450) hanging over my main monitor setup.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Sorry I didn't realise how old the op was. This post showed up on Toms front page, so I assumed it was fresh. Should have read the date.

Glad you got it solved.

I'm waiting on my third 30incher, so I'll be running a similar setup to yours. How did you mount the 2 extra monitors? I assume you put them above the main setup? I have some left over monitors that I'm too emotionally attached to, and I'd love to put them to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.