Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which motherboard should I get?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 29, 2012 5:00:37 PM

Hello,

I need to replace my MSI P67A-G43 which is dead for a new one. I would like a great audio quality for my music and games. Sadly I don't have the money to spend in a high-end motherboard and a high-end sound card at the same time. At most I would spend around $200 (I live outside US, so shipping should be included).

First, let me show you a summary of things I need and things I don't need:

- I want great audio quality (I use headphones)
- I want preferably a motherboard with z77 chipset, if there is another option then I don't mind
- I won't do overclock.
- 2x PCIEx16 is not needed as I won't do a SLI or crossfire rig (but maybe in the future I would)

So, what I have found is the following

- ASUS Maximus V gene: I read that it has great onboard audio and nice gaming features, but its a little over my budget $200 + shipping.

- Biostar Hi-Fi Z77X: Its build around audio quality and components to provide high-end onboard audio. $150 + shipping.

- A cheap $50-60 motherboard and a Soundblaster Recon3D sound card. $130 + shipping.

So please I want to know which motherboard you recommend or if you have a better alternative. Thanks.

More about : motherboard

a c 328 V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 5:03:05 PM

Where do u live?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 5:06:43 PM

Go for the Gene if possible.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 29, 2012 5:09:30 PM

nikorr said:
Where do u live?


In Ecuador, South America. So first I ship to a postal number in Miami and there the mail company ships to my home. A motherboard shipping costs is like $30.
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 5:14:20 PM

Whats the CPU?
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 5:16:38 PM

If u don't OC, get ...


U can definitely use this one -> ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 -> ... Latest Z77...

I just build PC with this mobo and I like the BIOS, its looks like this.

Works as expected @ 4.4GHz



That is a great mobo choice for the CPU. It has good power design for OC.

Read the Toms review Seven Sub-$160 Z77 Express Motherboards, Reviewed
@ http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bri...

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-z77-extreme-4-int...(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-a
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...


m
0
l
August 29, 2012 5:16:55 PM

arzbhatia said:
Go for the Gene if possible.


If i have the budget I would without thinking. But now I need to think twice before buying. The question is, does the extra 50 bucks is well worth it? What features would I get that doesn't have the other 2 options aside from overcklocking capabilities?
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 5:19:19 PM

U don't need gene, waste of $$$ for u.
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 5:20:34 PM

CPU is?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 5:22:00 PM

Well yeah. The Extreme4 is a great budget board too.
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 5:32:04 PM

My cpu is a Core i5 2500
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 5:33:30 PM

nikorr said:
If u don't OC, get ...


U can definitely use this one -> ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 -> ... Latest Z77...

I just build PC with this mobo and I like the BIOS, its looks like this.

Works as expected @ 4.4GHz

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/1908/ASRock%20Z77%20Extreme4%20BIOS%2001%20-%20Main_575px.png

That is a great mobo choice for the CPU. It has good power design for OC.

Read the Toms review Seven Sub-$160 Z77 Express Motherboards, Reviewed
@ http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bri...

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-z77-extreme-4-int...(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-a
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/Z77%20Extreme4(m).jpg


Thanks for the info, i did a quick reading on that review earlier. I think is a good mobo. But still I would need the SoundBlaster Recon3D to get a great audio quality and that exceeds my budget.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2012 5:58:45 PM

Go for the Extreme4 then. A LOT of people go with the Extreme4 and the 2500 and they're more than happy! You won't need anything else :) 
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 7:44:47 PM

Thank you guys for the info! I will take the Extreme4 into consideration. As I read in the features of that mobo, it supports THX StudioPro which makes me think it should have a good onboard audio.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2012 9:33:02 AM

Yup. ASRock is good with audio stuff :) 
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 8:27:50 PM

Is there another option besides ASRock? It appears it has run out of stock in amazon, they say ships in 1 to 3 months and that's too much for me. Also, I can't buy through newegg. They don't ship to postal numbers.
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 10:07:33 AM

drak0 said:
Is there another option besides ASRock? It appears it has run out of stock in amazon, they say ships in 1 to 3 months and that's too much for me. Also, I can't buy through newegg. They don't ship to postal numbers.

Where are u shopping?

Post a link...
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 3:00:30 PM

I can't buy through newegg, they don't ship to PO boxes.
Currently I buy from amazon or ebay.

New info: I've seen some slightly used (less than 3 months) maximus v gene at $150-170. They are in very good conditions and includes all accessories. Do you think its a good deal?
m
0
l

Best solution

September 3, 2012 4:55:35 PM

drak0 said:
Hello,

I need to replace my MSI P67A-G43 which is dead for a new one. I would like a great audio quality for my music and games. Sadly I don't have the money to spend in a high-end motherboard and a high-end sound card at the same time. At most I would spend around $200 (I live outside US, so shipping should be included).

First, let me show you a summary of things I need and things I don't need:

- I want great audio quality (I use headphones)
- I want preferably a motherboard with z77 chipset, if there is another option then I don't mind
- I won't do overclock.
- 2x PCIEx16 is not needed as I won't do a SLI or crossfire rig (but maybe in the future I would)

So, what I have found is the following

- ASUS Maximus V gene: I read that it has great onboard audio and nice gaming features, but its a little over my budget $200 + shipping.

- Biostar Hi-Fi Z77X: Its build around audio quality and components to provide high-end onboard audio. $150 + shipping.

- A cheap $50-60 motherboard and a Soundblaster Recon3D sound card. $130 + shipping.

So please I want to know which motherboard you recommend or if you have a better alternative. Thanks.


First of all, You have 2500k Processor chip so you cant take full advantages of z77. If you really want z77 chip-set board, go for Gene if possible(I own this) and it is extremely extensive for gaming. The other option I would suggest you to go for Gigabyte z77-D3H(First I was going for it but it was not available in India), Because it has z77 power+VIA Audio with superb sound quality, but it only supports Crossfire. But hey, it is still bang for buck.........

Look at All z77 Chip Boards tested........http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/2858/32-intel-z77-mothe...

Here you can have much idea along with there comparison. "UK.HARDWARE.INFO" is well respected Europian site which it Awards Gold for best board to Gene for Uniqueness for Gaming and Gigabyte z77-D3H for Best entry level+Bang for Buck, But not with much (vain) features.

Hope you will get your answer there...............
Share
September 3, 2012 8:01:24 PM

arzbhatia said:
Do not get used boards. EVER.

Here you go - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Intel-DDR3-Motherboard-P8Z77...


Thanks for the info. I read about that mobo earlier, I liked it. But with 20 more bucks I can get the gene. Wouldn't that be a better deal?

I know i said $200 was my budget. But for $20 more I think I can spare that.
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 8:23:29 PM

n4v1n said:
First of all, You have 2500k Processor chip so you cant take full advantages of z77. If you really want z77 chip-set board, go for Gene if possible(I own this) and it is extremely extensive for gaming. The other option I would suggest you to go for Gigabyte z77-D3H(First I was going for it but it was not available in India), Because it has z77 power+VIA Audio with superb sound quality, but it only supports Crossfire. But hey, it is still bang for buck.........

Look at All z77 Chip Boards tested........http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/2858/32-intel-z77-mothe...

Here you can have much idea along with there comparison. "UK.HARDWARE.INFO" is well respected Europian site which it Awards Gold for best board to Gene for Uniqueness for Gaming and Gigabyte z77-D3H for Best entry level+Bang for Buck, But not with much (vain) features.

Hope you will get your answer there...............


I have read a lot of reviews about the gene and every reviewer praise that mobo, saying is the single best z77 mb available due to its excellent price/features ratio.

I am more inclined to the gene more than any other mobo. So if its possible I will try getting the extra bucks to buy it. But since you say a z77 chipset is too much for a 2500k. What extra features am I going to miss? And also, a z68 chipset will be better for a 2500k than a z77?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 11:05:16 AM

The gene is a Micro ATX board. Which is what makes it less attractive to me. I'd always choose a Standard ATX over a Micro ATX.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 3:04:57 PM

drak0 said:
I have read a lot of reviews about the gene and every reviewer praise that mobo, saying is the single best z77 mb available due to its excellent price/features ratio.

I am more inclined to the gene more than any other mobo. So if its possible I will try getting the extra bucks to buy it. But since you say a z77 chipset is too much for a 2500k. What extra features am I going to miss? And also, a z68 chipset will be better for a 2500k than a z77?



Just Google for differ between z68 and z77. you will get your answer very quickly.

And it seems the Gene has taken over your mind........so buy it..............

And there is another option you've got there is.......Maximus IV Gene with z68 Chipset.......and it will cheaper then the V Gene......
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 3:37:31 PM

arzbhatia said:
The gene is a Micro ATX board. Which is what makes it less attractive to me. I'd always choose a Standard ATX over a Micro ATX.


But if you compare the p8z77-v vs the gene, the gene is way superior in every way (at least from what I have read). For me a micro ATX is more than enough: 2 pci-e x16, 1 pci-e x1, 6 sata, 1 micro sata, 1 e-sata, 6 usb 3.0, 8 usb 2.0, no pci slots (they are useless now). Why do you need more? I mean, the standard ATX have like 2 pci ports, 3 pci-e x16, 2 pci-e x1, 10 sata, 16 usb ports. Why? Is too much. I'm not going to connect 16 external devices or install 10 hard drives, that's insane.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 3:45:56 PM

n4v1n said:
Just Google for differ between z68 and z77. you will get your answer very quickly.

And it seems the Gene has taken over your mind........so buy it..............

And there is another option you've got there is.......Maximus IV Gene with z68 Chipset.......and it will cheaper then the V Gene......


Ok, I will do a research to whether or not is a good idea to install a sandy bridge processor in a z77 chipset rather than a z68. Thanks for everything.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 6:19:50 PM

Best answer selected by drak0.
m
0
l
!