Your question

4GB of RAM Lost!

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Computer
Last response: in Memory
August 29, 2012 5:54:46 PM

Hey, guys. I just finished building my computer only a couple of days ago. I have installed 8gb of ram. In the diagnostic it says I have 8GB of RAM installed on the system tab but in the display tab it tells me approx. Total Memory: 4049MB. My question is, is there something wrong? I feel there is and if so, what do I do to fix it? I have tried taking it out and re-placing it but that didn't work.

More about : 4gb ram lost

August 29, 2012 5:58:12 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention I AM running on 64 bit Windows 7 with an MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard and Dual Corsair DDR3 1600 240 PIN. I didn't mention it because im CERTAIN its not the fit.
m
l
August 29, 2012 5:59:20 PM

Do you have a dedicated card or are you using integrated?
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2012 5:59:52 PM

Yes. GTX 560 SE
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:09:19 PM

Is your GTX 560SE set as the primary video card.
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:16:48 PM

yes
m
l
a c 92 } Memory
August 29, 2012 7:00:15 PM

if the ram seen in the bios and with cpu-z it could be a bug with windows. check in the bios in you have a tab/button that says memory remapping. it should be on.
un MSCONFIG

Check to see if selective start is selected.

If yes, go to the boot tab.

Click "Advanced Options".

Deselect the maximum memory option if it is selected.

Also, you can optionally select the number of processors to increase the boot speed.

Click on apply to apply the new settings.

Reboot the computer. Once the computer is rebooted, right click on "Computer" on your desktop and select properties. Installed memory should now show just the memory installed rather than the 2 components (installed and usable).

Hope that helps

Bob
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 29, 2012 7:10:05 PM

Open the Resource Monitor, see below, what is listed under the 'Hardware Reserved' and in the BIOS how much memory is allocated to the iGPU as shared memory; BIOS Integrated Graphics Share Memory/DVMT Memory?

Often simply re-seating the RAM in the Black DIMM slots corrects the problem if the RAM isn't damaged, and make certain the DIMM slots are all fully locked down.

Resource Monitor:
m
l
August 29, 2012 7:39:24 PM

okay looks like its all there then ty guys. you're great
m
l
!