New System shutting down - blue screen

Big Jeff

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Greetings,

I just put together a new build today and am having a few issues.

The main one is that every once in awhile I get a blue screen with scrolling text on it, something about collecting error information, then my system shuts down.

Obviously not a good sign.

My question, running Windows 7 64 bit, is this message information somewhere I can access it to find out why my system is shutting down?

I have Windows 7 loaded, updated via the Internet, drivers loaded, etc.... so the system does stay on for a time, just occasionally the shut down.

In case someone asks....from what I can tell it's not heat related. I have everything monitored and assuming it's accurate the top temp on my CPU so far is 48C, which I think is within normal idle operating temp? All of the case fans, etc... are working.

Thanks for any advice on where to find that message information. I have some other issues (like a HD showing up in the BIOS but not showing up in Windows?) but I will tackle these one at a time.

Thanks.

System
Core i7 2600K
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe MB
16 GB G Skill Ripjaws
ASUS 560 Ti x 2 in SLI
Mugen 3 CPU Cooler
OCZ SSD 120 GB
WD 2TB HDD 7200 RPM Storage drive (currently not showing up in Windows)

Big Jeff

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

Thanks. I am probably going to shut it down for tonight and tackle it in the morning. Sounds like a good reason to take the day off work!

I did put in both GPU's at the same time, didn't realize I needed to do one at a time. Although I have updated the Nvidia drivers/software, display looks awesome, and both cards are showing up within the Nvidia software.

I will read though your link for troubleshooting in the AM and go from there.

Thanks again.

Big Jeff

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Ok I went back through everything. Took parts out and re-seated them, etc...

After reviewing the checklist (link that was supplied) I did find I had 1) forgot to plug in the MB speaker (for the beeps) and 2) did have a pesky screw I had dropped which I thought was below the power supply....but just in case I tracked it down and finally removed it. Speaker is also now installed.

Computer seems to run fine, boots right up when powered up, fans are running, temps are low, all the RAM is recognized, both GPU's are showing up and are running in SLI, etc....

Still two issues:

1) I have a 2TB WD HDD SATA drive plugged into the Intel 3GB/s MB port (as suggested by other members during a post I submitted for input while building). This HDD shows up in the BIOS, both listed and as a possible boot location, etc... However the drive is not showing up in Windows. Windows does show my SSD drive and an external eSATA drive I plugged in, but not the WD HDD.

Should I try switching the WD HDD to the Marvel 6 GB/s SATA ports? I have both of those ports open and nothing in them. The previous poster (during my build) had said the Intel 3 GB/s port would actually be faster for my 2TB storage drive than the Marvel 6 GB/s, but at this point I just want to get it recognized. I do have my optical drive in one of the Intel 3 GB/s ports and it's working fine.

2) So far one time since my revamping of the bulid (today) I have still recieved the blue screen/text where it says something like "dumping physical memory"...but it goes by on the screen so fast I can't read it all. Any way to pause that when it happens and/or find where it is saving that information/data too? When this happens it does reboot the computer.

Thanks for any help/insight.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
"...but it goes by on the screen so fast I can't read it all. "

You may change that from your System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery - there should be a checkbox to not autorestart and a listbox for what part of memory to dump in a file for possible status check.

The issue with your HDD looks strange indeed /unless it's a Seagate, I am prepared to expect anything from them :)/. Yes, you may try to move it around.
Ah, in what mode is it? Try switching it to IDE mode /BIOS/.