I7 920, gtx 580 - low fps

Hello,
I have a Intel-920 2,66 Ghz CPU, a GTX 580 3gb, 8 gb RAM, 1000 W PSU and regular Hitachi hard drive.
I'm getting low FPS on all demanding games and it bugs me because i've read everwhere that the gtx 580 GPU is supposed run almost all games at ultra high settings and high FPS. What component could cause this problem? I also get some long lasting lags, but that's probably a hard drive issue. I'm really wondering what could cause the AVERAGE FPS to be so low.
I should mention that i've had two different brands of gtx 580 and they both have had the same problem; therfore it cannot be a GPU-problem. I have also heard that the 920 CPU is supposed run demanding games fine so I have no idea what is causing this problem.
In addition i'm no fan of overclocking CPUs so that i'm not really considering.
Could somone please help me here?

My specifications are:
- Intel i7 920 2,66 GHz
- Gainward GTX 580 3gb phantom
- 8 gb RAM 1333 MHz 1,5 V
- 2TB Hitachi hard drive (not SSD)
- 1000 W PSU
- Cooler Master CM 690 II case
- Motherboard: Acer AMI FX58M (chipset: Intel x58)
67 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Remove 4GB RAM and just leave 6GB om tri-channel configuration. Install all latest drivers and more important, update your BIOS to the latest version.
  2. temps? cpu and GPU, what case are you in?
  3. Thanks for quick replies.
    The temperatures are fine cause I have recently installed a new case with plenty of cooling (Cooler Master CM 690 II). I also have a temp monitoring program that hasn't revealed any crazy high temps.
    To saint19: I actually only had 6 GB of RAM before and that did not work out any better, but what do you mean about tri-channel configuration? I would appreciate a detailed answer cause I have no idea what that means.
    Thanks
  4. You can find a lot of info here...
  5. Which memory kit you have? Is it XMP ready?
  6. It'll help if you can tell us what resolution your playing at, and what type of frame rates your getting in some of the games.
  7. I'm running at 1680x1050, but I don't know exactly how much FPS I get, but for example in battlefield 3 I guess I'm running at 15-20 FPS at ultra high settings, because it lags pretty heavy(not playable). However, if I turn the settings down to high it is barely lagging, but I do get low FPS then too (and especially long lasting lags from time to time in that game and Crysis 2).
    Now I don't know what XMP means but I have memory from Kingston with 1333 MHz and 1,5 V. And I took the advice from Saint19 here so I now run only 8 gb RAM i tri-channel (4x2gb). However the tri-channel config didn't help anything, so do anybody have any other ideas?

My specifications are:
    - Intel i7 920 2,66 GHz
    - Gainward GTX 580 3gb phantom
    - 8 gb RAM
    - 2TB Hitachi hard drive (not SSD)
    - 1000 W PSU
    - Cooler Master CM 690 II case
    - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    (Motherboard and CPU is from a pre-built PC)
  8. 4 x 2gb isnt tri channel --its quad channel

tri channel means 3 memory sticks--the x58 is triple channel so 3 sticks or 6 sticks is optimal
  9. overclock the CPU.
  10. But I just read an article that said if you put four identical memory sticks in this config (occupied-occupied-empty-occupied-empty-occupied) it is also tri channel. It also said you could have 6 identical sticks filling all slots; and it would still be tri-channel. Is this completely wrong?
  11. its a real shame not to overclock that cpu--but if you dont want to fair enough

heres a comparision--i have

i7-920 at 4.2ghz

12gb ram at 1600mhz (6 x 2gb)

asus direct cu gtx570 overclocked to 880mhz and 4450mhz memory

mushkin chronos 120gb ssd

and am getting 45fps to 50fps at highest settings in bf3 at 1920 x 1080 resolution

does your antivirus have a gaming mode? if so turn it on to see if it helps
  12. I have mentioned that I don't like overclocking because it could make the system unstable and it also is kind of hard to do, unless you use a software, which is even more dangerous for your system.
    But what Derbixrace is saying is that my CPU is simply to slow? I thought a quad core CPU with turbo boost up to 3,33 GHz would be strong enough for playing games...
  13. hakon123 said:
    But I just read an article that said if you put four identical memory sticks in this config (occupied-occupied-empty-occupied-empty-occupied) it is also tri channel. It also said you could have 6 identical sticks filling all slots; and it would still be tri-channel. Is this completely wrong?

quoted from kingston memory website

"If I have a triple channel platform, do I have to install memory in sets of three?

Yes, if you want the system to run in triple channel mode. However, many of the new triple channel based motherboards allow the user to run their system in single, dual or triple channel mode. Please check this feature with your chosen motherboard manufacturer. "

link

http://www.valueram.com/europe/triplechannel/
  14. There's no reason not to OC a 920, you're wasting a lot of potential from that CPU since it scales very well. You will need a proper cooler of course to OC if you don't have one already.
  15. if you overclock that CPU you should see a big difference, for gaming 2.66ghz is just too slow no matter how many threads/cores the game uses
  16. hakon123 said:
    I have mentioned that I don't like overclocking because it could make the system unstable and it also is kind of hard to do, unless you use a software, which is even more dangerous for your system.
    But what Derbixrace is saying is that my CPU is simply to slow? I thought a quad core CPU with turbo boost up to 3,33 GHz would be strong enough for playing games...

as long as you have a decent cooler that cpu is good for 3.6ghz to 4.2ghz--4ghz is a 50% increase over stock

speed so is a lot more power for your money--there are hundreds of guides to overclock the i7-920 on the

net--its not too difficult really

even at default with the turbo boost i would have thought you could play bf3 better especially with a gtx580 at

that resolution--give me 15 minutes and i will downclock mine to see how its runs at 2.66ghz for you
  17. Thanks for all replies
    I actually tried to set the antivirus to gaming mode and when I tried it out just now it seemed to have worked to some degree. However, I will have to do some further testing to see if it actually helped...
    Thanks mcnumpty23, i would really appreciate if you tried that out for me:)
  18. Now I did some further testing and it seems as the antivirus solution didn't help after all:(
  19. IF were to overclock my CPU, should I use a software or do it in BIOS? And will OC affect my GPU? Could also someone please post a link to a good website that explaines how to overclock a 920 CPU?
  20. hakon123 said:
    I have mentioned that I don't like overclocking because it could make the system unstable and it also is kind of hard to do, unless you use a software, which is even more dangerous for your system.

your right overclocking can make your system unstable but when overclocking no one leaves there computer in a condition that makes it unstable. during the process you tweek setting to make it stable and the process is safe if you keep the temperatures down and the volts in the correct zone.

your problem is your cpu that is the only thing that it could be. download and run msi afterburner and run it while you play battlefield 3. if it registers that your gpu usage is consistently below 100% then you have proven that your cpu is too slow as your gpu is waiting on your cpu making the usage go below 100%.
  21. ok--just did a quick downclock including the memory speed

at 2.66ghz without turbo enabled and hyperthreading on with the memory downclocked to 1066mhz at

1920 x 1200 resolution (typed 1080 earlier but its 1200) and gtx570 still overclocked

played fine with fps between 32fps and 40fps

so looks like it may be a software issue?

try running something like unigine heaven benchmark to see how you score
  22. excellent guide to i7-920 overclocking

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

whats your motherboard?

best way to do it is bios rather than software
  23. Since my motherboard is from a previous pre-built PC I don't know what motherboard it is. How can i find that out?
  24. download cpuz and it will tell you under the mainboard tab

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
  25. hakon123 said:
    IF were to overclock my CPU, should I use a software or do it in BIOS? And will OC affect my GPU? Could also someone please post a link to a good website that explaines how to overclock a 920 CPU?

In BIOS. Here's the settings I used when I ran at 3.6ghz, all these settings are safe:
    CPU PLL: 1.88
    QPI/DIMM: 1.35
    IOH: 1.20
    RAM: 1.64

Now the most important 2:
    Vcore: ---
    BCLK: 180

Vcore is the voltage going to the CPU and BCLK is the clockspeed. 180 BCLK is 3.6ghz. Now the vcore needed varies a lot between CPUs, I would start at around 1.35v and see if that's stable, then continue upwards. Make sure to turn hyperthreading off also. Keep an eye on your temps, when running Prime95 or any stress test if any core gets to 75c I would back down the voltage a bit. I would turn Intel Speedstep/Turbo Boost on, as it downvolts and downclocks when you're not using the CPU and turbo boost will give you a bit extra speed.
  26. gmcizzle said:
    In BIOS. Here's the settings I used when I ran at 3.6ghz, all these settings are safe:
    CPU PLL: 1.88
    QPI/DIMM: 1.35
    IOH: 1.20
    RAM: 1.64

Now the most important 2:
    Vcore: ---
    BCLK: 180

Vcore is the voltage going to the CPU and BCLK is the clockspeed. 180 BCLK is 3.6ghz. Now the vcore varies a lot between CPUs, I would start at around 1.35v and see if that's stable, then continue upwards. Make sure to turn hyperthreading off. I would turn Intel Speedstep/Turbo Boost on, as it downvolts and downclocks when you're not using the CPU and turbo boost will give you a bit extra speed.

would have to say 1.35v on the cpu may be too high a place to start depending on his cooler--i only need 1.3v in bios--which shows 1.280v in cpuz to get to 4.2ghz with hyperthreading on
  27. Thanks for the tip gmcizzle, but what is hyperthreading? Also I cannot OC it now cause I don't have watercooling (only stock-fan).
  28. hakon123 said:
    Thanks for the tip gmcizzle, but what is hyperthreading? Also I cannot OC it now cause I don't have watercooling (only stock-fan).

Hyperthreading basically enables 8 virtual cores on 4 physical cores, as opposed to 4 virtual cores normally. This is really good if you're doing heavy multihreaded stuff such as video encoding, but provides no benefit for games (at least for now) and stresses the CPU out more.

Also, you don't need watercooling to OC, any decent cooler that's not the Intel stock one will do.
  29. hyperthreading gives you extra virtual cores--the i7-920 has 4 cores but with hyperthreading on you get 8 cores(4 virtual) cpuz will tell you if hyperthreading is on or off

you dont need to have watercooling a good aircooler will do--but i wouldnt go too overboard with the stock intel cooler

this is digressing a bit from the low fps issue--run unigine heaven benchmark as mentioned earlier and if you score highly its likey to be a software issue
  30. My motherboard is:
    Acer AMI FX58M (chipset: Intel x58)
  31. i dont think you will be able to overclock on that motherboard :(
  32. sounds like a gateway pc--the bios is probably going to be locked/crippled to not allow full control
  33. So I cannot OC now, but maybe I'll get a new motherboard and cooler later.
    However, I took the Unigine benchmark test and here's my result:
    Heaven Benchmark v2.5 Basic

FPS: 33.2
    Scores: 837
    Min FPS: 7.5
    Max FPS: 89.2

Hardware
    Binary:
    Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1600 Release Mar 1 2011
    Operating system:
    Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
    CPU model:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    CPU flags:
    2666MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 HTT
    GPU model:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 8.17.12.8562 3072Mb

Settings
    Render: direct3d11
    Mode: 1680x1050 8xAA fullscreen
    Shaders: high
    Textures: high
    Filter: trilinear
    Anisotropy: 16x
    Occlusion: enabled
    Refraction: enabled
    Volumetric: enabled
    Tessellation: extreme

What does this mean then?
  34. give me 10 minutes to compare those scores with my downclock--they are way below my 4.2ghz scores

just out of interest what psu are you using?
  35. I'm using a Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W PSU
  36. no worry about your gtx580 not getting enough power then

my scores at 2.66ghz no turbo

fps 52.3

scores 1317

min frames 13.6

max frames 150

Settings
    Render: direct3d11
    Mode: 1680x1050 4xAA fullscreen
    Shaders: high
    Textures: high
    Filter: trilinear
    Anisotropy: 16x
    Occlusion: enabled
    Refraction: enabled
    Volumetric: enabled
    Tessellation: extreme

only difference was my aa is set at 4x instead of 8x as i usually game at 1920 x 1200 having it at x8 doesnt seem to improve the picture
  37. Now I ran MSI Afterburner while playing Battlefield 3 maxed out. The GPU usage was 99%, so it doesn't seem that the CPU is holding it back. Also I didn't get much lag, and that's strange, cause before it lagged a lot when I played it at maximum settings.
    Maybe the memory channel config worked after all?
  38. The solution isn't overclock, even, at stock settings your FPS should be excellent. I suggest you test the rig in a DIFFERENT motherboard and let us know the results.
  39. If i'm going to get a new motherboard, do anybody have any good suggestions?
    Is there any brand that's especially good? If I was going to buy one I would buy one that had 3xSLI support, at least 6 RAM slots, it would need to support my intel CPU and it would have to be affordable.
    I know this is a little off topic, but I would greatly appriciate a suggestion:)
  40. i am using the gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

i believe the asus p6t series were also really good

get a decent cooler as well--the hyper 12 plus seems to be a common choice--good cooler but not expensive
  41. +1 for ASUS P6T :D
  42. I'm not saying that you need a new mobo, but we need see all options and the mobo is one of those.
  43. I hear that saint19, but if it isn't the mobo, what could it possibly be? But I would need to get a new mobo anyway if i'm going to overclock. Besides, I don't like having a crippled motherboard.
  44. makes sense to get a new board--you have great graphics card--really good psu and really good to overclock

cpu-- why have crap motherboard to run it all?

you have one good thing going for you--when the x58 boards first came out they were usb 2.0 and sata

3gbs--you can get one now thats usb 3.0 and sata 6gbs

what sort of budget would you be looking at

this may also be a contender

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-sabertooth-x58-intel-x58-s-1366-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-pcie-20-%28x16%29-atx
  45. You have a Ferrari (CPU, RAM and GPU) using bike wheels(mobo).
  46. I'm really looking for the cheapest motherboard I can get that still works as a motherboard should (and that has the specifications previously mentioned).
  47. I just wonder if my graphics card has a sound card built in, because many has had sound card problems with those motherboards (with the built in mobo-sound card).
    btw, the last one you mentioned seems to be more expensive then the first where I checked.
  48. i believe you can output the sound from the nvidia card through hdmi if your monitor/tv has hdmi input--i only use headphones so not up on it--but never had any sound issues with my onboard sound

you could get a cheaper board but it would only do 2 graphics cards not the 3 x sli you mentioned and wouldnt

have usb 3.0 and sata 6gbs--to me usb 3.0 and sata 6gbs would be an essential for future proofing
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gtx Low FPS Hard Drives