Sign in with
Your question

Hey, how does GPU and CPU act at different monitor resolutions?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2011 5:16:02 PM

Hey i didnt know where to put this so i put it here.

I heard from my friend that as the resolutions get smaller games become more cpu dependant, while as monitor resolutions become bigger, it will be more GPU dependant.

so will there be a difference in me using a 19" 1440x900 compared to a 1080p. For example im going to use a phenom ii x4 955, and also a 5770, so will there be better frame rate at 1080p because the 5770 is more powerful than the 955
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2011 5:54:04 PM

Hi, nice well worded question.
There is no actual exact answer as a lot these days depends on the game engine. Some games just want Ghz and as such would work better teamed with a high clocked Dual core CPU and a 5770 while other games would struggle because they are coded to work better or are more dependent, depending on how you want to view it on the number of cores available.
You are correct in your basic assessment but its not black and white for the reasons posted above.
I cant see how you could be disappointed going up to a 1080p monitor, i did so when running a 4770 and have only just updated my GPU having run games like Crysis warhead and just cause 2 with no issues if not at totally max settings and with a lower spec CPU than yours.
If anyone tries to tell you you will be bottlenecked they are very wrong it would be a great move in my opinion even if you don't get the max experience out of it until your next upgrade. I found that AA really isn't needed or certainly not to the same degree as lower resolutions in most games once you get to 1080p

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 24, 2011 12:34:09 AM

Increasing resolution increases the work load on the GPU, it doesn't reduce the work load on the CPU, so if a particular game is bottlnecked by your CPU you might not see any decrease in frame rates while increasing resolution, but you won't see an increase.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2011 8:46:59 AM

benski said:
Increasing resolution increases the work load on the GPU, it doesn't reduce the work load on the CPU, so if a particular game is bottlnecked by your CPU you might not see any decrease in frame rates while increasing resolution, but you won't see an increase.

Well actually your wrong. Not that anyone said that the increase would reduce the load on the CPU but it does (only if there is a restriction already though). I realize your only trying to clarify the point but as i said its not a black and white issue and for more reasons than the ones i have already stated.
I'm just trying to keep things simple for the OP A 5770 is never going to be "Bottlenecked" my his CPU so there is no need to bring the issue up.

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 24, 2011 7:10:14 PM

mactronix said:
Well actually your wrong. Not that anyone said that the increase would reduce the load on the CPU but it does (only if there is a restriction already though). I realize your only trying to clarify the point but as i said its not a black and white issue and for more reasons than the ones i have already stated.
I'm just trying to keep things simple for the OP A 5770 is never going to be "Bottlenecked" my his CPU so there is no need to bring the issue up.

Well, show me, because I don't believe you. I have never ran or seen a bench mark where FPS increased as the resolution increased because of a CPU bottleneck. I have benched some games that had the exact same framerate at 1280x720 and at 1080p because the CPU was the bottleneck, but never seen one where a higher resolution actually increased performance. I think you are giving this guy false hope that getting a bigger monitor is going to increase his FPS and I've yet to see anything to make me believe that could be true.

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 24, 2011 7:14:06 PM

I think people get confused alot between work load in total and work load as a percentage. At higher resolution the GPU does a greater percentage of the work, but the CPU doesn't do less work.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2011 7:58:39 PM

benski said:
Well, show me, because I don't believe you. I have never ran or seen a bench mark where FPS increased as the resolution increased because of a CPU bottleneck. I have benched some games that had the exact same framerate at 1280x720 and at 1080p because the CPU was the bottleneck, but never seen one where a higher resolution actually increased performance. I think you are giving this guy false hope that getting a bigger monitor is going to increase his FPS and I've yet to see anything to make me believe that could be true.

I think your sticking your oar in and confusing the issue with stuff that just is not relevant. Show me where i said he would get improved FPS by getting a 1080p monitor. Right you cant so be big enough to apologize for suggesting i was.

I explained that there is no actual exact answer to the posted question and stated as to why.
Again i never said there would be an increase in FPS.
Lets break it down.
Quote:

1. Increasing resolution increases the work load on the GPU = Correct
2. It doesn't reduce the work load on the CPU = Wrong
3. so if a particular game is bottlnecked by your CPU you might not see any decrease in frame rates while increasing resolution, but you won't see an increase. = Wrong

Reasons,

2. So what you are saying then is that you don't understand the simple concept that if the GPU which is basically fed by the CPU is doing less then so must the CPU ? There must actually be a "bottleneck" first though.
3. If the system is indeed bottlenecked and not just restricted slightly you could very well see an increase in FPS when increasing resolution.

The term "Bottlenecked" is the key here. Which i again will mention is just not relevant to this thread as a 5770 will never be restricted, never mind bottlenecked by the OPS CPU.

@ pkhamidar2co,
If you have indeed been mislead by my post as benski thinks then please accept my apologies, it was never my intention.
Allow me to clarify, You wont see an increase but it wont be an issue because as i said i have played some pretty demanding games @1080p myself with a 4770 and you have a 5770 hence my statement.
Quote:
I cant see how you could be disappointed going up to a 1080p monitor, i did so when running a 4770 and have only just updated my GPU having run games like Crysis warhead and just cause 2 with no issues if not at totally max settings and with a lower spec CPU than yours.

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 24, 2011 9:53:49 PM

The OP asked a very direct question: "so will there be better frame rate at 1080p because the 5770 is more powerful than the 955" and I felt your rambling reply might have given him the false impression that he was correct in this assumption ;) 

To me a bottleneck is simply the weakest link in a particular scenario, it's not a bad word, and there is always a bottleneck, even if it's at 90fps, some component is going to be the weak link, no system is perfectly balanced. It seems you have a totally different definition of the word and I think thats why we have a misunderstanding.

"2. It doesn't reduce the work load on the CPU = Wrong
3. so if a particular game is bottlnecked by your CPU you might not see any decrease in frame rates while increasing resolution, but you won't see an increase. = Wrong"

Again show me. My personal experience and reading says differently but I'm always willing to learn new things.

And I wasn't saying that the OPs system would be bottlenecked in any way at 1080p, just that even if he was he's not going to see an increase, just break even, a point I'm willing to concede if you show me some evidensky.

!