Good cheap graphics card for Shogun 2 and Skyrim

michael123

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi all.

I haven't played computer games in a while, since my 8800GT decided to cover the screen with artifacts and BFG went bust so I didn't have a warranty :fou:

Anyway, as a result I've been out of the graphics card market for a while, so while I know all the jargon, I haven't got a clue what card to get. Seems like nVidia have been pumping out a new series every week, and I have no idea which ATI series is which.

The two big requirements are:
■Must be able to run Shogun II on pretty high settings w/o lag.
■Somewhat trickier, must be able to run Skyrim decently - I appreciate we can only guess exactly how the game will treat different cards

The two big limitations are:
■PSU. I've currently got a 470W with 29A on the 12V rails. I realise that might be a hefty limitation, but on the upside, it is a Thermaltake, so it is pretty good quality.
■Price. This is fairly flexible, but I don't do massive amounts of gaming, so I wouldn't like to spend much more than £100 (about $160). The lower the price the better.

Also, if anyone knows of any upcoming releases/developments in the GPU market which are likely to knock prices down, please say, because I might defer purchase a bit if that's the case.

Thanks for any help I get, and for the help I've received in the past,
Michael.

michael123

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Having looked at both, it seems the 6870 is the better card. Can anyone confirm whether this should run on my PSU no problem? As I understand it, PSU requirements tend to be based on slightly crap power supplies, so a good quality one should manage?

michael123

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008

OK, I'll have a think about it. I'd rather not spend the extra money, but I might just buy the card and try it, then upgrade PSU if it isn't stable.

1440x900 I think.