Sign in with
Your question

Good cheap graphics card for Shogun 2 and Skyrim

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2011 5:54:20 PM

Hi all.

I haven't played computer games in a while, since my 8800GT decided to cover the screen with artifacts and BFG went bust so I didn't have a warranty :fou: 

Anyway, as a result I've been out of the graphics card market for a while, so while I know all the jargon, I haven't got a clue what card to get. Seems like nVidia have been pumping out a new series every week, and I have no idea which ATI series is which.

The two big requirements are:
  • Must be able to run Shogun II on pretty high settings w/o lag.
  • Somewhat trickier, must be able to run Skyrim decently - I appreciate we can only guess exactly how the game will treat different cards

The two big limitations are:
  • PSU. I've currently got a 470W with 29A on the 12V rails. I realise that might be a hefty limitation, but on the upside, it is a Thermaltake, so it is pretty good quality.
  • Price. This is fairly flexible, but I don't do massive amounts of gaming, so I wouldn't like to spend much more than £100 (about $160). The lower the price the better.

Also, if anyone knows of any upcoming releases/developments in the GPU market which are likely to knock prices down, please say, because I might defer purchase a bit if that's the case.

Thanks for any help I get, and for the help I've received in the past,
    Michael.
    June 23, 2011 8:23:31 PM

geforce gtx 460 or hd6870.
    June 23, 2011 8:25:45 PM

logox said:
    geforce gtx 460 or hd6870.

Cheers for the response, I'll have a look.
    Related resources
    June 23, 2011 9:26:16 PM

Having looked at both, it seems the 6870 is the better card. Can anyone confirm whether this should run on my PSU no problem? As I understand it, PSU requirements tend to be based on slightly crap power supplies, so a good quality one should manage?
    June 23, 2011 9:29:11 PM

It should work on ur psu. It still wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a 550-650 watt...
    a b U Graphics card
    June 23, 2011 9:55:33 PM

A 6870 will work fine...... What resolution is your monitor?
    June 23, 2011 10:27:44 PM

logox said:
    It should work on ur psu. It still wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a 550-650 watt...

OK, I'll have a think about it. I'd rather not spend the extra money, but I might just buy the card and try it, then upgrade PSU if it isn't stable.

Embra said:
    A 6870 will work fine...... What resolution is your monitor?

1440x900 I think.
    a b U Graphics card
    June 23, 2011 11:22:24 PM

At that resolution, anything more would be a bit much. 6850 or 6870 is all you need.
    !