CPU or Memory?

I have two rather old machines... and i've run into some "problems" with one of them.

Okay the first system has a 1.6ghz athlon xp cpu with 2gb ram and a x1650 agp graphic card.

The second system is a 2.5ghz pentium 4 with 1.5gb ram and the same graphic card as above.

The problem i have run into is that the 1.6ghz amd cpu doesn't support SSE2. I can't run certain games or applications on it. The thing is that the mobo where the amd cpu is supports 4 ddr while the pentium only supports 3. By changing to the pentium i will be losing 512mb ram and drop down to 1.5gb.

What i wonder... is it worth changing the amd(1.6ghz) to the pentium 2.5ghz and lose 512mb ram in the process to run some games?

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about memory
  1. most games even under load probably wont use that much RAM (on your system specs anyways) Try switching the cpu's, and see where the RAM usage is in task manager-processes. If it is running high, you may need some upgrades. However, losing 512mb of ram isn't a huge deal.
  2. huldu said:
    I have two rather old machines... and i've run into some "problems" with one of them.

Okay the first system has a 1.6ghz athlon xp cpu with 2gb ram and a x1650 agp graphic card.

The second system is a 2.5ghz pentium 4 with 1.5gb ram and the same graphic card as above.

The problem i have run into is that the 1.6ghz amd cpu doesn't support SSE2. I can't run certain games or applications on it. The thing is that the mobo where the amd cpu is supports 4 ddr while the pentium only supports 3. By changing to the pentium i will be losing 512mb ram and drop down to 1.5gb.

What i wonder... is it worth changing the amd(1.6ghz) to the pentium 2.5ghz and lose 512mb ram in the process to run some games?

Thanks!

If i were you, I'd try to sell those things and just buy a cheap $300-400 tower.

Also, yeah it'd be alright to lose the 512mb.
  3. huldu said:

Thanks!

I am not sure what you all are thinking here, you cannot swap an Intel CPU into an AMD socketed motherboard, or vica-versa.
    The Pentium is socket 478, and the AMD is a socket A processor.
  4. oh yeah jit is right! time to buy a new one!
  5. ...facepalm. My mistake.
  6. And both systems are old enough that they would be difficult to sell.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Pentium RAM CPUs Systems