Budget server cpu?

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
I need to build a server to run a simple accounting program so that other computers can access it. The program itself is not demanding however it has to run windows server 2003 24/7.
Should I go for the Intel dual core e6600.
Or the Amd athlon II 445 or phenom x2?
I'm pretty sure they perform about the same but which will be more stable or run cooler?
There are a few diy kits for $220-250 on newegg.
I just dont know which one to opt for.
I have built plenty of amd athlons, my current Athlon II x3 seems to run pretty hot.
But no experience with the lower end Intel.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Yes it would depend more on weather there are more than 30 users (30 or less, the svr I listed earlier will do fine). If more, I'd look to spend a bit more (at least $500). The reason I'm suggesting actual servers, is the fact that they are tough enough to leave on 24/7, have access for multiple users, and are rack mountable. 1 core per person, really? try 1 server core per 15 users instead (financially acceptable, and seen throughout DoD). The biggest thing you may want to do is put in a Gigabit NIC, if one is not already in the server, and add more RAM. The one below would also be able to run other applications at the same time, from the same server.

http://www.amazon.com/IBM-Quad-Core-2-33GHz-2x250GB-Gigabit/dp/B0053JZ8TG/ref=sr_1_24?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1314356158&sr=1-24
$520 IBM System x3550 Dual Xeon Quad-Core E5345 2.33GHz 8GB 2x250GB CDRW/DVD 1U Server w/Video & Dual Gigabit LAN - No Operating System (refurbished)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You are describing a Windows Home Server system, then. It will handle up to 10 users and you can use as a PC as needed. You can load onto just about any PC. However, WHS 2.0 is 64-bit only. How much do you want to spend on all of this?

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
The application im going to use is supposedly meant for windows 2003 server r2. According to the seller of the softwar, so for that reason i'm gonna get a oem windows server 03 from ebay they sell about 150-200$.
I want the computer to cost me no more than $260 a bit more is fine if anything changes.
I'm just gonna buy budget build parts online or from frys and install the os.
I'm just not sure if I should go with a Athlon II processor or a similar priced intel. The computer is intended to be on for most of the day.
Will an intel run cooler? Or should I get an amd and get a better cpu cooler. Or do I need to buy a server cpu which run about $110 as opposed to 70 for desktop cpu?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
WHS v1 is based on Windows Server 2003 and will run all apps that will run on 32-bit Windows operating systems (XP and 2003). I run a a WHS server (v1) with a 4-core AMD processor (Opteron 1354), 4GB memory, and 9TB of storage. It runs 24/7/365, connected to a small(ish) UPS. Really nothing special.

rvilkman

Distinguished
I would say build it yourself. While you might not need a massive core count for it, quad cores are just a nice way to go these days.
It all pretty much comes down to reliability you want to achieve as to how much money you want to spend. Obviously you can buy new servers from vendors such as Dell but at the same time the price tag starts from about $1000.

Doing it yourself, from quality parts with a case that has good airflow you can get it much cheaper.

CPU: i3 2100 or i5 2300/2400 depending on if you want 2 or 4 cores. $120-190
Mobo: H67 chipset mobo, with onboard graphics. $115 or so for Asus P8H67-M PRO/CSM
Mem: Corsair/Gskill/Kingston/Mushkin 2x4GB CAS9 1333 Mhz ram $50
GPU: Integrated on chip
HDD: Can go with enterprise drives here, but price comes up a bit
Regular: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB x2 - For Raid1 mirroring $49.99 x 2
Enterprise: Samsung Spinpoint F3R 1TB x2 - For Raid1 mirroring $74.99 x2 ( 5 year warranty )
DVD: Asus/Lite-On/Sony 24x DVD+/-RW $20 or so
Case: Antec 300 Illusion $44.99 atm at newegg, an absolute steal. Great airflow 4x120mm fans and it is really quiet at the lowest setting.
PSU: Something with a nice 5+ year warranty Seasonic X series or Corsair AX or HX series. 500W:ish $120 or so
The Seasonic's fan won't even run with this power usage

Possibly add an aftermarket HSF for extremely cool temps, but it should not be needed.

Total: ~$575 with a dual core ~$650 with quad core.
+$50 for enterprise drives.

If you want to go with a Xeon system, server mobo and ECC Reg ram, that will be more, but most likely you would be fine with the above.

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
ColGeek I'm a bit confused about what you said about WHS v1 being based on server 2003. They recommended that I get server OS 2003 r2 standard.
What is the difference between that and the home server which sells for $100. Is it possible for the software to only work on the Server 2003 and not home server?

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Dont want to sound like a nagg. But using this Windows Home Server, I can log onto the computer using either remote connection or some other program. And be able to use the accounting/billing software right?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If the software will run on Server 2003 it will run on WHS v1. WHS is limited to 10 users. It will also perform automated backup of all of your Windows machines, and can be used as a Windows desktop if you so desire. Best, sounds like a good fit for your needs and saves you money. Still, you can still go with Server 2003 and a similar server/PC. Neither OS is all that demanding.

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
So I managed to build a core i3 2120, with wd, caviar blue, 4gb ram, case. dvd- full system for $340 not including rebates.
But I'm still stuck on the OS issue. In simple terms do you know the advantage of the 03 server r2 standard as opposed to WHS? New WHS is 100$
Used server 2003 r2 is $200.
Ive been searching but cant seem to find solid replies.
Will one be able to have full display and control of another computer using WHS?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you are asking about remote desktop connections, then yes you can do this WHS and Server 2003. Cost is the big factor. If you aren't comfortable with WHS, you can't go wrong with 2003. However, getting a "used" license may present challenges when you attempt to register/activate the install. Just be prepared to deal with that (may have to call MS for a manual activation.

The big advantage for 2003 over WHS for your needs, in my mind, is the ability to support more than 10 users, should your needs grow.

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007

I dont need to buy a "termin server license" right? That is included in the server 2003 r2 software?