GA-H55M-UD2H will no longer POST

Fegbarr

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hi,

I've had the below home build working quite nicely for the past nine months or so:

Intel i5 760 2.8GHz Socket 1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H H55 Socket 1156 VGA DVI HDMI Out 8 CHannel Audio ATX Motherboard

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dominator Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

PALIT GTX 470 Tein Cooler 1280MB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply

Generic old SATA DVD re-writer.

The DVD drive finally gave up the ghost and stopped reading, so I swapped it out for a new one. However, the system will no longer POST. It displays one of two behaviours, changing occasionally when I go back and double-check everything is seated correctly, etc:

- the four LEDs on the motherboard light up and stay lit, while the PSU and graphics card fans spin. There's no video output.

OR:

- the LEDs flash repeatedly while the PSU and processor fans twitch back and forth. Also no video output.

I've tried everything I can think of; removing one stick, then the other, then both sticks of memory, making sure everything's seated properly, disconnecting everything from the MoBo bar the graphics card. Nothing has any effect. I've also tested a PSU I know to work in there.

My assumption is that I must have managed to get a load of static into the case while I was changing the DVD drive, but I can't tell which part(s) I've managed to fry - anyone able to help?

Well your PSU is a 550watt which is the minimum requerment for the Graphics card you have, i am thinking that because its been under heavy load permanently its life was reduced significantly.

Try a new PSU 600w and up of a good brand (cheaper brands lose more wattage over time than good ones) like Coolermaster and problem should be solved.

Fegbarr

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Thanks - as I said, I did try another PSU I knew to be working, but I can get hold of a better one to test if needs be.

Take the battery out of the mobo and wait about 5 minutes then put it back in.

Should be located around where your graphics card sits.

Its like a watch battery.

New psu with higher wattage, unplug any external devices like external hard drives, but yeah hopefully the battery reset + new psu helps :(

I second that.

You could also try both PSU's but without Graphics card if your M/B has onboard graphics.