Closed Solved

Do i have socket 939, AM2 or AM2+ ?

This is my PC: http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM1200/AspireM1200sp2.shtml

My processor is AMD athlon 64 X2 4400+ This is my motherboard: Acer rs740 dvf

I can't figure out =\
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about socket
  1. regularguy290 said:


    On the acer website it says the m1200 comes with:

    Processor AMD Phenom™ quad-core processor (95 W)
    AMD Phenom™ triple-core processor
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core process
    AMD Athlon™ 64 processor
    AMD Sempron™ processor

    But the only motherboard it has is AMD 740G Chipset? What if mine is a bit newer than 939 motherboard but still compatible with it?
  2. AM2 isn't backwards compatible with socket 939.
  3. jay_nar2012 said:
    AM2 isn't backwards compatible with socket 939.


    Ok but why does it have a phenom in the processor list on ACER website? :s
  4. Socket 939 also uses DDR RAM not DDR2 which is what AM2 uses, you have socket AM2 not Socket 939.
  5. jay_nar2012 said:
    Socket 939 also uses DDR RAM not DDR2 which is what AM2 uses, you have socket AM2 not Socket 939.


    Then how do i have a athlon 64 X2 939 socket in a AM2 board? OH THE CONFUSION!!!
  6. Best answer
    There are 2 versions of that CPU, A Socket 939 one, it exceeds the TDP limit of the board which is 95W.

    There is a AM2 one that is under the 95W TDP limit.

    You have the AM2 version as your board uses DDR2 RAM, AM2 is not compatible with 939 vice versa, the 939 version is 110W, 15W over the TDP limit.

    There is one other 939 under the TDP limit but 939 uses DDR not DDR2.
  7. jay_nar2012 said:
    There are 2 versions of that CPU, A Socket 939 one, it exceeds the TDP limit of the board which is 95W.

    There is a AM2 one that is under the 95W TDP limit.

    You have the AM2 version as your board uses DDR2 RAM, AM2 is not compatible with 939 vice versa, the 939 version is 110W, 15W over the TDP limit.

    There is one other 939 under the TDP limit but 939 uses DDR not DDR2.


    Thank a lot man that helped so much, One more question since my board is AM2 will AM2+ chips that are 95W or under work in it? i'm not sure if it is backwards compatible.
  8. That depends if your BIOS and chipset support AM2+/AM3 CPUs, it might work depending on what CPU your looking at.

    It supports CPUs like this- http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20X4%209850%20-%20HD9850WCJ4BGH.html

    And yes under 95W.

    The max it would support is Phenom x4 95W and under *Note- this doesn't include the phenom ii range*
  9. jay_nar2012 said:
    That depends if your BIOS and chipset support AM2+/AM3 CPUs, it might work depending on what CPU your looking at.

    It supports CPUs like this- http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20X4%209850%20-%20HD9850WCJ4BGH.html

    And yes under 95W.

    The max it would support is Phenom x4 95W and under *Note- this doesn't include the phenom ii range*



    What do you think about putting this processor in my PC? Would it be a stupid idea? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4615717&SRCCODE=SHOPBOT&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB5_BfCjCVqHCjCdwwp

    It has 95W TDP
  10. No phenom ii would work.

    Only first gen phenoms.
  11. Best answer selected by K K0.
  12. jay_nar2012 said:
    No phenom ii would work.

    Only first gen phenoms.


    Oh ok thanks a ton.
  13. No problem.
  14. jay_nar2012 said:
    That depends if your BIOS and chipset support AM2+/AM3 CPUs, it might work depending on what CPU your looking at.

    It supports CPUs like this- http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20X4%209850%20-%20HD9850WCJ4BGH.html

    And yes under 95W.

    The max it would support is Phenom x4 95W and under *Note- this doesn't include the phenom ii range*



    Hey sorry to bug you again. Do you know if i would have to flash my bios or anything to use that processor? Or can i just swap?
  15. jay_nar2012 said:
    I wouldn't think so..

    But you can try anyway.

    http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=339


    You wouldn't think i can just swap it or wouldn't think i can have to flash bios?
  16. I think you wouldn't have to flash bios.
  17. jay_nar2012 said:
    I think you wouldn't have to flash bios.


    Ty =D
  18. Yw ;)
  19. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Acer Processors AMD Socket