Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II X4 960T

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2011 7:01:48 PM

Hi,
I'm looking at upgrading to a Quad on one of my machines and was looking at a 955 but came across this CPU Phenom II X4 960T.
Has anyone seen a decent review of this CPU ? Or does anyone know how it stacks up. I'm kind of a gambler with these things and quite fancy trying to unlock one to a 6 core CPU but wouldn't mind at all if it just plain didn't.

Thanks in advance

Mactronix :) 

More about : phenom 960t

November 25, 2011 8:06:32 PM

The 960T has quite a few pros, and actually very few cans (over the 955)

Pros: Uses less power
: Can 'safely' withstand higher temperatures (ie better for overclocking)
: Clock for clock, is faster than the 955

Cons : Extended delayed release (causes were possibly from the failure rate of turning it into a hex-core - only around 35% of the chips could achieve a stable unlock)
: A tiny bit more expensive
: When unlocked, the hex core isn't very effective for pretty much anything other than image rendering, and the quad core will surpass it (not really sure if this is a con?)
: Unless overclocked, the 955 will be faster (apart from applications where turbo boost can be used)

Yes, 3 cons and only 2 pros, however the cons aren't really cons as such, as they're not exactly going to be a deciding factor against getting it over the 955. However, the pros are big pros (in my opinion).

I would go for the 960T, it can overclock higher, while still running cooler and using less power, while also still being only slightly more expensive over the 955.
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2011 7:57:39 PM

Thanks for that, I'm probably only going to try the unlock just to see anyway. Looks like I found a chip where i can have a play and have a solid Quad :D 

Mactronix :) 
!