Your question

Matching Different Types of RAM and Gigabyte MOBO Form Factor

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in Memory
August 29, 2012 11:45:14 PM

Okay, I'm new here, so please forgive and inform me if I mess up some of the basic rules.

First off, I have built my own system from the ground up over the last several months. My hardware is listed in my profile, but I can list it again if it is necessary. Specifically, my problem lies within the usage of RAM in my system. I have a Gigabye GA-990FXA-UD3 Mobo that is DDR3 capable and has 4 RAM slots. I have 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM sticks. I also have 2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz Micron Technology sticks.

I have my system running stable at a 3.9 overclock on my CPU that runs at 50-52C under full load with Prime95 after 2 hours and 0 errors. (AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition). Using my BIOS to overclock, I raised the multiplier to x18, and the FSB to 217, for a total of 3,906Mhz. When I did this, my other components automatically overclocked as well. Changing the multiplier did nothing, but raising the FSB changed all of the other values. For example, my RAM is running at 1430Mhz or so, my NB is at 2170, and so is my HTT. Also, the VCore has changed by itself to 1.42V or so, and I am assuming my other components have seen increases as well. I have manually changed the DRAM timings to 1T-9-9-9-24, I manually upped the the 1T Command from the 2T standard for my Ballistix RAM, and the new timings are even tighter than standard for the Micron. I just ran Memtest86+ through 2 full passes in 3 hours and had 0 errors.

My question is, am I hurting myself by running different types of RAM and at speeds other than recommended? With over 12G's I'm getting 7.5 Memory rating in Windows Experience Index. My temps seem fine after a lot of work with the fans and CPU cooler. The NB gets the hottest at about 60-62C at the very most.

Really, my question is two parted. First, why is it, and is it bad, that the RAM clock speed changes with my CPU FSB speed? My second question, is much more complicated. My Mobo has a strange RAM layout, I believe. It has 4 adjacent, identical slots. None are directly labelled. Above the top 2 slots, the ones closest to the CPU, is (approximately) the writing "Slot_2" above the word "Slot_4". Below the other 2 slots is the writing "Slot_1" stacked above the word "Slot_3". When I first installed my RAM on this build, I put the 2 Crucial sticks together in the slots farthest from the CPU (slots 1+3 here), and I put the 2 Micron sticks together closest to the CPU (2+4). When I look at CPU-Z. it says:

RAM : 12288 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 723.3 MHz (3:10) @ 9-9-9-24
Slot 1 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Micron Technology
Slot 2 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Crucial Technology
Slot 3 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 3 Manufacturer : Micron Technology
Slot 4 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 4 Manufacturer : Crucial Technology

Now why are they split up (the brands)? I read online that it is best to have the two largest and identical sticks together and the two smaller ones together, and they are, physically, but in my CPU-z it says they're split, and my weaker RAM is the #1 Position, the physical position of which is very confusing on the mobo. I tried to move the sticks around, but my system won't even power on unless they're in this EXACT physical set up that I started with and described above. Is this causing me performance issues? I want MAXIMUM performance possible, and I want to make sure my RAM isn't hindering me, as I'll be upgrading my CPU here very soon, after I sell my old 560Ti. I need to say, I have never had a BSOD with this current set up, and never experienced lag or any sort of freezing or overheating, so this isn't exactly an emergency. Overclocking at first gave me a few BSOD, and games quit randomly, but I haven't had those problems in a month and a half or so (on a two month old hardware set-up), or most of the time it has been running.

Please help me to optimize this, and if it's a problem, to fix it!

Thanks!

More about : matching types ram gigabyte mobo form factor

August 29, 2012 11:52:17 PM

Here is my system, it's too much of a hassle to easily find it here.

Display: Dynex 40 Inch 1080p 60Hz HDTV

Case: Zalman Z11 Plus Black Steel Mid Tower

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

HDD: Crucial M4 128GB SSD (OS)

Seagate 5200 RPM 750 GB HDD (Storage)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (Rev. RB-C3) 3.9 Ghz

RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1333 Mhz

2x2GB Micron Technology DDR3 1333 MHz

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 2GB

PSU: P&C Silencer MK2 950W 80+ Silver

Cooler: Antec Kuhler H620 Water Cooler (w/ custom push/pull config)
m
l
August 30, 2012 12:29:04 AM

I hate to answer my own thread, but I'm getting close to figuring this out, in case anyone is interested. Also, I was wrong about the layout of the RAM ports. It goes, from closest to CPU to farthest, DDR3_4, DDR3_2, DDR3_3, DDR3_1. I currently have Micron 2GB in 4, Micron 2GB in 2, Crucial 4GB in 3, Crucial 4GB in 1.

From the manual;

Channel 0: DDR3_2, DDR3_4
Channel 1: DDR3_1, DDR3_3

So logically, I have channel 0: Micron 2GB in DDR3_2, Micron 2GB in DDR3_4; and Channel 1: Crucial 4GB in DDR3_1, Crucial 4GB in DDR3_3.

Slot 1 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Micron Technology
Slot 2 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Crucial Technology
Slot 3 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 3 Manufacturer : Micron Technology
Slot 4 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 4 Manufacturer : Crucial Technology

So why does CPU-Z say this layout? Am I hampering myself by using Channel 0 with my 2GB sticks instead of 4GB? I tried to switch them, but the PC wouldn't even power on. I'm not sure why though. Maybe I'll try again and make sure they were seated correctly, because it seems that I should be able to switch them and make it work easily.

Also,

From the Manual:

1-4-1 Dual Channel Memory Configuration

This motherboard provides four DDR3 memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the
memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. En-
abling Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth.
The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as
following:

Channel 0: DDR3_2, DDR3_4
Channel 1: DDR3_1, DDR3_3

Dual Channel Memory Configurations Table
(SS=Single-Sided, DS=Double-Sided, "- -"=No Memory)
DDR3_4
DDR3_2
DDR3_3
DDR3_1
Two Modules
- -
DS/SS
- -
DS/SS
DS/SS
- -
DS/SS
- -
Four Modules
DS/SS
DS/SS
DS/SS
DS/SS

Also, please, is running my RAM at 1430 something bad? Why can't I change it? I can only change the multiplier from 6.66 to something lower, but then I drop to like 1200 MHz, and I'm rated for higher. At 6.66 I am faster than recommended.
m
l
Related resources
!