Changeing a Toshiba Satellite 17xx Hard Drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 10:48:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Can anyone please advise how to gain entry to the HDD on a Satellite 1710,
1730 17xx etc.

I have removed all the screws from the bottom panel and it will not drop
off.

I assume in some way it will be found by removing the keyboard but I cannot
see a way to do this without damageing plastic parts.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 12:54:50 AM

"Blae" <blae@NOSPAM.CO.UK> wrote in message
> Can anyone please advise how to gain entry to the HDD on a Satellite 1710,
> 1730 17xx etc.
>
> I have removed all the screws from the bottom panel and it will not drop
> off.
>
> I assume in some way it will be found by removing the keyboard but I
> cannot see a way to do this without damageing plastic parts.

You have to remove the screen and then the top cover. If you can't see how
to do it, let me know and I'll give you a hand.

Cheers,

Lee.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 3:08:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks Lee

I can do that

"Lee Marsh" <lee.marsh@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Blae" <blae@NOSPAM.CO.UK> wrote in message
>> Can anyone please advise how to gain entry to the HDD on a Satellite
>> 1710, 1730 17xx etc.
>>
>> I have removed all the screws from the bottom panel and it will not drop
>> off.
>>
>> I assume in some way it will be found by removing the keyboard but I
>> cannot see a way to do this without damageing plastic parts.
>
> You have to remove the screen and then the top cover. If you can't see how
> to do it, let me know and I'll give you a hand.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lee.

a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 3:10:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Changing the drive on this model is EXTREMELY difficult, the entire unit
has to be disassembled down to the motherboard, the lid (LCD) has to be
split and separated from the base to do that. If you are not a trained
laptop service technician, it will likely take about 3 to 4 hours, and
you stand a 50% chance of destroying the laptop such that it never works
again. It is a very poor, very stupid design. Now, if you still want
to proceed, contact me privately.

Blae wrote:
> Can anyone please advise how to gain entry to the HDD on a Satellite 1710,
> 1730 17xx etc.
>
> I have removed all the screws from the bottom panel and it will not drop
> off.
>
> I assume in some way it will be found by removing the keyboard but I cannot
> see a way to do this without damageing plastic parts.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 3:19:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Let's clarify that: You have to separate the lid from the base and then
remove the top of the base. Although the Toshiba service manual would
lead one to also actually open the lid containing the LCD panel, this is
neither necessary nor adviseable, but it wasn't clear what you meant by
"You have to remove the screen and then the top cover." DO NOT OPEN THE
LID, but you will have to separate it completely from the base, so that
the laptop is in two pieces (for this task, the hinges are removed from
the base).

It's a horrible design that so much disassembly is required just to
change the hard drive.

Lee Marsh wrote:

> "Blae" <blae@NOSPAM.CO.UK> wrote in message
>
>>Can anyone please advise how to gain entry to the HDD on a Satellite 1710,
>>1730 17xx etc.
>>
>>I have removed all the screws from the bottom panel and it will not drop
>>off.
>>
>>I assume in some way it will be found by removing the keyboard but I
>>cannot see a way to do this without damageing plastic parts.
>

> You have to remove the screen and then the top cover. If you can't see how
> to do it, let me know and I'll give you a hand.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lee.

August 23, 2005 3:46:53 PM

Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> Changing the drive on this model is EXTREMELY difficult, the entire unit
> has to be disassembled down to the motherboard, the lid (LCD) has to be
> split and separated from the base to do that. If you are not a trained
> laptop service technician, it will likely take about 3 to 4 hours,

Nonsense. I changed a hard disk unit in my 1730 in under an hour without
damaging anything.

Here are some good visual instructions:
http://www.geocities.com/ge64/1115-S103/index.html

--