Renaming folders

I understand that XP allows you to rename folders like My Documents and My Computer ... since installed programs normally use these folders will they still recognize them? Are there any drawbacks or problems that can occur from this? What is the proper way to rename a folder?
6 answers Last reply
More about renaming folders

    "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I understand that XP allows you to rename folders like My Documents and My Computer ... since installed programs normally use these folders will they still recognize them? Are there any drawbacks or problems that can occur from this? What is the proper way to rename a folder?

    My Computer is no folder, you cannot remove this item in Windows XP
    without using third-party tweaking tools.
    For MY DOCUMENTS: right-click the Desktop icon and change the path
    here. You can use any existing folder.

    --
    (tm)

    Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question ... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I understand that XP allows you to rename folders like My Documents and My Computer ... since installed programs normally use these folders will they still recognize them? Are there any drawbacks or problems that can occur from this? What is the proper way to rename a folder?
    >
    > My Computer is no folder, you cannot remove this item in Windows XP
    > without using third-party tweaking tools.
    > For MY DOCUMENTS: right-click the Desktop icon and change the path
    > here. You can use any existing folder.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question ... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.

    Renaming is done by moving the files to a folder with the proper name
    or pointing the "My Documents" variable to another folder as
    described. Windows does not support renaming the "My Documents"
    shortcut itself, for this you need third-party software.

    --
    (tm)

    Hmmm, I'm finding all this a bit confusing.... I understood your response but it seems to contradict what I'm seeing ... if renaming isn't supported then why is the "Rename" option available when I right-click the My Documents folder icon (in Start Menu, Explorer window, etc.)? What happens if I rename it ... how does it alter XP's operation?

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question ... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.
    >
    > Renaming is done by moving the files to a folder with the proper name
    > or pointing the "My Documents" variable to another folder as
    > described. Windows does not support renaming the "My Documents"
    > shortcut itself, for this you need third-party software.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    They are all different things. If you say My Docs we assume you mean My Docs not other things.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BAF1AD62-6945-48CB-9B09-B5AD66441913@microsoft.com...
    > Hmmm, I'm finding all this a bit confusing.... I understood your response but it seems to contradict what I'm seeing ... if renaming isn't supported then why is the "Rename" option available when I right-click the My Documents folder icon (in Start Menu, Explorer window, etc.)? What happens if I rename it ... how does it alter XP's operation?
    >
    > "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
    >
    > > "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question .... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.
    > >
    > > Renaming is done by moving the files to a folder with the proper name
    > > or pointing the "My Documents" variable to another folder as
    > > described. Windows does not support renaming the "My Documents"
    > > shortcut itself, for this you need third-party software.
    > >
    > > --
    > > (tm)

    Renaming the Start Menu one will rename My Documents.

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23bxFquqZEHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    They are all different things. If you say My Docs we assume you mean My Docs not other things.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BAF1AD62-6945-48CB-9B09-B5AD66441913@microsoft.com...
    > Hmmm, I'm finding all this a bit confusing.... I understood your response but it seems to contradict what I'm seeing ... if renaming isn't supported then why is the "Rename" option available when I right-click the My Documents folder icon (in Start Menu, Explorer window, etc.)? What happens if I rename it ... how does it alter XP's operation?
    >
    > "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
    >
    > > "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question .... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.
    > >
    > > Renaming is done by moving the files to a folder with the proper name
    > > or pointing the "My Documents" variable to another folder as
    > > described. Windows does not support renaming the "My Documents"
    > > shortcut itself, for this you need third-party software.
    > >
    > > --
    > > (tm)

Configuration Customization Windows XP