  • Configuration
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
July 7, 2004 10:46:01 PM

I understand that XP allows you to rename folders like My Documents and My Computer ... since installed programs normally use these folders will they still recognize them? Are there any drawbacks or problems that can occur from this? What is the proper way to rename a folder?

More about : renaming folders

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 10:00:41 PM

"James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I understand that XP allows you to rename folders like My Documents and My Computer ... since installed programs normally use these folders will they still recognize them? Are there any drawbacks or problems that can occur from this? What is the proper way to rename a folder?

My Computer is no folder, you cannot remove this item in Windows XP
without using third-party tweaking tools.
For MY DOCUMENTS: right-click the Desktop icon and change the path
here. You can use any existing folder.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question ... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I understand that XP allows you to rename folders like My Documents and My Computer ... since installed programs normally use these folders will they still recognize them? Are there any drawbacks or problems that can occur from this? What is the proper way to rename a folder?
>
> My Computer is no folder, you cannot remove this item in Windows XP
> without using third-party tweaking tools.
> For MY DOCUMENTS: right-click the Desktop icon and change the path
> here. You can use any existing folder.
>
> --
> (tm)

July 10, 2004 9:35:56 PM

"James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question ... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.

Renaming is done by moving the files to a folder with the proper name
or pointing the "My Documents" variable to another folder as
described. Windows does not support renaming the "My Documents"
shortcut itself, for this you need third-party software.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Hmmm, I'm finding all this a bit confusing.... I understood your response but it seems to contradict what I'm seeing ... if renaming isn't supported then why is the "Rename" option available when I right-click the My Documents folder icon (in Start Menu, Explorer window, etc.)? What happens if I rename it ... how does it alter XP's operation?

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question ... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.
>
> Renaming is done by moving the files to a folder with the proper name
> or pointing the "My Documents" variable to another folder as
> described. Windows does not support renaming the "My Documents"
> shortcut itself, for this you need third-party software.
>
> --
> (tm)

Anonymous
July 11, 2004 8:28:04 AM

They are all different things. If you say My Docs we assume you mean My Docs not other things.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BAF1AD62-6945-48CB-9B09-B5AD66441913@microsoft.com...
> Hmmm, I'm finding all this a bit confusing.... I understood your response but it seems to contradict what I'm seeing ... if renaming isn't supported then why is the "Rename" option available when I right-click the My Documents folder icon (in Start Menu, Explorer window, etc.)? What happens if I rename it ... how does it alter XP's operation?
>
> "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>
> > "James P" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Based on your response, I don't think you understood my question .... I'm interested only in renaming (not removing nor redirecting) these folders.
> >
> > Renaming is done by moving the files to a folder with the proper name
> > or pointing the "My Documents" variable to another folder as
> > described. Windows does not support renaming the "My Documents"
> > shortcut itself, for this you need third-party software.
> >
> > --
> > (tm)

Anonymous
July 11, 2004 8:30:36 AM

Renaming the Start Menu one will rename My Documents.

!