Alternatives to Qosmio G25-AV513 + questions

Hello I'm thinking about getting a Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV513. I live in
a city with very little space, so replacing my tv, monitor, and desktop
would be great. I'm wondering what are my other options for multimedia
desktop replacements?

Here's my requirements:

1. 17" monitor, at least.
2. Support for 1920x1200 resolutions.
3. At least 100GB harddrive.
4. TV,DVD player

5. This is a question as well as a requirement:

Linux friendly, for dual booting from burned CD. My linux will
probably be put on an external harddrive. (Actually, I wonder about
that, is it possible to do that? And, do it in the Qosmio or any other
laptop?)

thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about alternatives qosmio av513 questions

    "DaLoverhino" <DaLoveRhino@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello I'm thinking about getting a Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV513. I live in
    >a city with very little space, so replacing my tv, monitor, and desktop
    >would be great. I'm wondering what are my other options for multimedia
    >desktop replacements?

    Same situation for me

    Will be interested in hearing any replies you get

    But.... could you replace your TV, monitor with a
    desktop PC instead?

    John

    I can replace my TV, monitor with a desktop PC, and that's probably the
    smart way to do things. But, I'm stupid, and maybe I need to change
    jobs. :)

    But here's some reasons why I'd like a multimedia laptop:

    1. I live in the city, and I'd think it would be pretty nice to work in
    a coffee shop, where I spend most of my free time anyways.

    2. I'm a software programmer and I spend a good deal of every weekend
    at the office. It drives me insane, and having the 'tube' on while I
    code at least gives me some form of entertainment. (of course, off
    hours!!)

    3. Once a month, I travel to NYC, and having the option to code or
    watch a movie while on a plane or train, would be cool.

    Of course, perhaps the biggest draw back, is if I ever lose such a
    laptop, or my laptop breaks, there goes my work, my computer, and my
    entertainment system.

    I like it, but I'm bothered by the resolution. It's really the only
    thing that's keeping me back from buying the laptop. It has a
    resolution of 1440x900. I like the wide screen format, but since I
    program for a living, the number of 'vertical lines' I can display is
    an issue for me. The more lines of code I can see the better.

    Well, there's the dell inspiron 9300 which I'm really thinking about
    getting as an alternative. It has an LCD monitor with 1920x1200
    resolution. However, the tv tuner is external and much more bulkier
    than the Qosmio tuner. I guess this is fine, because I'll mostly use
    the tuner at home, and at work (so I can get two tuners).

    Anyways, do you know when Toshiba will release their next version of
    the Qosmio?

    Well, in terms of price, I want something underneath $3000. The Qosmio
    is selling for about $2600 in some places. I think if I wait awhile,
    it could go down further. Don't hold your breath waiting for me to
    tell you what I get. I've been sputtering on 500Mhz desktop at home
    for the last 7 years. It's so bad, sometimes sufing the internet can
    be a pain. Thus, waiting another year for a Qosmio with a better
    resolution is definitely an option that I can live with. :)

    So you don't like the most impressive AV notebook PC Mag has ever seen? I'm
    shocked.

    You have few options in a notebook. Have you looked at the Fujitsu n6010?
    No matter how much I like Fujitsu, the Toshiba is just a few fundred more
    and a better AV machine.

    If you want to go desktop, look at Best Buy or your favorite retailer. I
    cannot even estimate your price other than high. IMHO, I'd rather RAID twin
    60's than 100g notebook hd.

    And tell us what you buy!

    "DaLoverhino" <DaLoveRhino@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I can replace my TV, monitor with a desktop PC, and that's probably the
    >smart way to do things. But, I'm stupid, and maybe I need to change
    >jobs. :)

    Your not stupid. Not at al!! Its a big chunk of
    change you want to spend and you need to research and
    chose well. No?

    >But here's some reasons why I'd like a multimedia laptop:

    Well it sounds like you would be lugging this
    multimedia laptop around quite a bit. And those things
    are all 17" displays yes?

    If yes... are you sure you want to lug such a big
    notebook around?

    Maybe you'd be better off getting a 14" Thinkpad and
    forgetting abt the built in TV tuner? You could still
    watch DVDs on that.... just no TV.

    I ask my questions rhetorically as I'm facing same
    decision. One day I think I want to own only a laptop.

    Other days I think I should, keep the computing and TV
    features separate by converting an old desktop in a
    "TV" and getting a very small very portable laptop for
    taking to the coffle shop and such.

    I guess what I'm saying is that this might be a case
    where two separate units are called for rather than one
    do it all laptop.

    I spend literally hours on the Net at home. I mean
    HOURS each day. I'm not sure spending all that time
    scrunched up in front of a laptop is a good idea
    ergonomically speaking.

    With a desktop I can get a huge LCD display....a
    wireless keyboard and mouse.... and basically set in my
    Lazy Boy recliner and do my surfing ant TV watching.
    Much more comfortable than at a desk and in a desk
    chair.

    What you think? Use two separate devices?

    John

Qosmio Laptops Product