Sign in with
Your question

No Internet Access

Last response: in Networking
October 16, 2010 7:59:45 AM

I'm having a problem with a computer I'm working on. I'm using a AirLink101 Wireless N PCI Adapter and I know the card works because I've tried it in other computers. The problem is that it can connect to the network but isn't receiving internet access. I had a ATI Sapphire X1600 video card in it. I found another X1600 video card lying round and was testing it out to see if it worked in that computer and then the internet works. The video card however had some pretty bad artifacts showing up, so I don't think I can use it. The only other PCI-E video card I have at the moment is the first X1600 but every time I boot up with that card in I loose internet connection. It must be a problem with that card interfering with something else but I do not know what. Does anyone have any ideas or maybe a solution to fix this?

More about : internet access

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 8:25:59 AM

Your post is kinda confusing. Decide which video card works, use that card. If the other one is displaying artefacts, maybe the driver for it is wrong or the card is shot.

Try the PCI wireless adapter in different slots. Have a look at Device Manager and see if the wireless card is shown as faulty and if there are any reported resource clashes.

You may be able to solve this by disablig some spare ports in the BIOS -- COM ports, Parallel Printer port etc. Restart Windows a couple of times to reassign resources.

Also make sure the lack of internet access isn't just a reception issue. And check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.
m
l
October 16, 2010 10:19:18 PM

Okay. Ill try this again. On my computer it said it was connected to the net work but didnt have internet access. Ive tried everything to make it work and couldnt get it to work. anyways i put a different video card in the computer and then it connect to the internet. I cannot use that video card because it has been over heated and has artifacts all over the screen. when i put the first video card back in the computer, the it doesnt get internet access again.

This wireless card DOES work and WILL connect to the internet. When using on board video i CAN connect to the internet and when using my other video card (the X1600 that has been overheated and has artifacts) it CAN connect. I would like to use the video card that does work though but every time i try it i loose internet connection. therefor, it MUST be a conflict between the working X1600 and the wireless card.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2010 4:30:26 AM

Try the PCI wireless adapter in different slots. Have a look at Device Manager and see if the wireless card is shown as faulty and if there are any reported resource clashes.

You may be able to solve this by disabling some spare ports in the BIOS -- COM ports, Parallel Printer port etc. Restart Windows a couple of times to reassign resources.
m
l
October 18, 2010 10:06:34 PM

Hey you should try this, remove the car use th onboard video for now. download the latest drivers for you network card and video card. Unistall both drivers for your cards shut down your system, inert the network card, install the drivers to it. check you network settings if all is good then turn off you system again install the x1600 card reboot and install drivers to it after that. Than check you your network connection. IF your system cannot connect to the network then you should leave the graphic card alone for now, By the way what OS are you running and do u have latest updates?
m
l
October 19, 2010 1:22:41 AM

Im using Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit
m
l
!