Biostar TA790GX A3+ won't boot

engprosinc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I have a new build with an AMD Phenom II x6 with 8 gig RAM and a Biostar TA790GX A3+ mobo. I assembled it and couldn't get the DVD to boot. The monitor would go to the "hardware monitor" screen and stay there. If I hit F12 when booting, a menu comes up, but if I select the DVD as the boot device, and hit enter, the hardware monitor screen comes up again.

When I enter BIOS, the SATA HDD and the SATA DVD both "appear"; however, both are shown in parenthesis, which means they are disabled according to info on the screen where I selected the boot order. This happens even if I load optimal defaults. I have tried using a different key board, and no help.

The LED01 and LED 02 led's are on, and the LEDPHASE 1 is on. I don't know what that means, and I am wondering if the LEDPHASE 1 light is telling me something is wrong. I reset the CMOS, no help.

When I try to load the drivers with the manufacurer's DVD, nothing happens. The same old hardware monitor appears.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

THanks in advance.

ross_mitchell

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Is the DVD you are trying to boot from the driver disk, if so then i doubt it will be a bootable disk as drivers are installed from inside windows. If the disk is a bootable disk then I recommend exploring your bios to find the problem.

engprosinc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I am using a windows 7 disc. I tried Win XP disc too. No help. I went through the BIOS every way I could, and even optimum defaults didn't help. That's why I think I am in trouble.
Do you know what the LEDPHASE 1 light on means? Is is supposed to be on?
Also, Tiger Direct said the mobo could work with the x6 CPU. I hope he was right.
Thanks for you fast reply.

engprosinc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Update on the problem with the Biostar TA790GX A3+ mobo not booting.

I took the two 4 gig Patriot 1333 rams and moved them from the A1 B1 slots to the A2 B2 slots.

Installed a good (known to work) LG DVD drive on the IDE cable, and set it to the "master" setting. I ran the BIOS. The IDE and SATA DVD's as well as the SATA HD were all "recognized". There were no parenthesis around the drives when I looked on the BIOS "select drive" menu under the boot section.

Tried to boot by selecting the new IDE DVD as the boot drive, after inserting a WIN 7 64 bit disc. Once again, the screen reverted to the "hardware monitor' display instead of going into boot.

Cleared the CMOS again, and tried to boot from the IDE DVD. No help. Ditto for trying to boot from the SATA DVD.

The instruction book says to load the drivers from their DVD after the BIOS is set. How do you load drivers when the DVD doesn't see the disx.

After five hours, nothing I have done has worked. My intuition tells me that the mobo is bad, but I am not sure that the BIOS optimum default settings are the ones I should be using (I have set the BIOS for optimum default). The overclock is set to standard, and I didn't try to tweak any settings.

From what I have read, the Biostar mobo's have had a lot of issues, and many readers have had similar problems. Maybe I ought to write this mobo off and return it. If so, any recommendations for a good mobo for the AMD Phenom II x6 CPU would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any offer of assistance?

engprosinc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Biostar informed me that the AMD CPU won't work with their motherboard. Tiger DIrect said it would. I have returned the mobo for refund, and ordered a Biostar that does work with the AMD 6 core Phenom II.
THanks for all your feedback.

TRENDING THREADS