GA-Z77X-UD5H RAM speed

shimergloom2

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
I noticed that the Gigabyte site says that the UD5H can use DDR3 2400(OC). I plan on getting this board from amazon but their description says that it only supports up to 1600. I was wondering if anyone knows the deal and if the 2400 Gigabyte says can only be used when overclocking?

There are kits on the QVL all the way up to 2800 http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z77x-ud5h.pdf

The bigger question here is do you need 2400 RAM (or anything faster than 1600)?

If you're a gamer, that answer is no.

1600 is the sweet spot for Sandy and Ivy CPU's. After that, the performance gained from anything faster is negligible (unless you want to use a RAM disk or need the speed for a ton of memory intensive work).

Solution

shimergloom2

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
I was just curious, mainly because I have to use Visual Studio and Expressions 4 for school and they eat up the memory on my laptop. But that could have to do with the fact that the laptop is 2-3 years old.

Actually, faster RAM would be a bit more beneficial in those than most things, but really, even for those, it's more about more RAM instead of faster RAM.

TRENDING THREADS