How's my gaming build looking? $600-$800 budget.

blarr

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Alright, this is the computer I'm planning on building. I've already bought a few parts and anything that is [strike]crossed[/strike] out is something I already paid for that can't be changed. Also, I would prefer any suggestions to be for Newegg since their warehouse is very close to me and not only is shipping very fast but it's also safer to have less transit time(less chance that things will be damaged in shipping).

Processor: i5-2500k($220 + free shipping on Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750($95 + free shipping on Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155($150 + free shipping on Newegg)
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB, will use a single card for now and then get a second one around Christmas time and SLI($180 + Unknown shipping cost on EVGA.com)
Internal Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB($60 + free shipping on Newegg)
RAM: [strike]Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 @ 1600mhz[/strike] ($49 + free shipping + free World of Tanks game on Newegg)
Case: [strike]Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower [/strike]($45 + free shipping on Newegg)
Sound Card: Not sure if the Mobo comes with one, if not I'll just use my old computers card
Optical/DVD Drive: Using the one from my old computer
Heatsink & Fan/Thermal Compound: Not going to buy either of these for a while since I'm on a pretty restricting budget right now but when I get the money I'll buy the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus($28 + free shipping on Newegg) and Arctic Silver 5($13 + free shipping on Newegg)

Total without the Heatsink/Thermal/DVD Drive/Sound Card(none of which are needed) = $739.
Only problem I've run into is the graphics card, it's $180 for a gtx560ti on the EVGA website but they just recently(I think yesterday, possibly the day before) sold out and there's no way in hell I'm paying full retail price for a 560ti, that will tear a hole in my wallet. I'm not getting this computer fully built for at least a month so lets just hope they restock by then. If not, I'll probably just swap for a Z68 mobo and use the integrated Intel 3000 HD Graphics for a while.

So what do you guys think of the build? I've been studying parts for a while, asked for your help a few times, asked some friends(who work with computer hardware) and even resorted to Yahoo Answers quite a few times. I think I've got everything sorted out perfecty, mobo + ram are both dual-channel, mobo is a p67 1155 so it's compatible with the i5-2500k and is overclock compatible, case has plenty of fans and cable management for good ventilation and air flow, great bronze certified PSU for SLI/overclock of the CPU & GPU. Not buying anything that isn't necessary to run(already have a mouse, keyboard, speakers, sound card, DVD drive) and all seems well.

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Thats a "more than just good" build! ;)

The onboard sound is just fine, you don't NEED a seperate sound card.

You can consider the XFX Radeon HD 6950 as the graphics card which comes in $209.99 after rebates at newegg.

Everything else seems fine.

You need the Hyper 212+ if you want to overclock the processor further 3.8 - 4 Ghz.
It comes with a decent thermal paste, no need of arctic silver.

blarr

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Oh the 212+ comes with thermal paste? I've seen tons of videos where people install the 212+ and they all use thermal compound with it. I know the i5-2500k stock HS&F has thermal pre-applied but never heard anything about the 212+.

As for the graphics card how would the 6950 run compared to the 560ti? On Newegg the prices are very similar($20 or so difference) so they seem to be fairly matched but again, it's only $180 on EVGA.com(if they ever restock) and that seems to good to pass up.

extremewinters

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
When it comes to graphics cards it comes down to personal preference. Both graphics companies are so competitive with each other. The HD 6950 is a great card however I personally like the GTX 560 TI better. My reasons come down to personal experience I've had fewer problems with Nvidia Cards, I have friends that have had fewer problems with drivers and such. I like the GTX 560 Ti in SLI mode. When you get the chance to get the 2nd card get for sure. Those two gpu's in SLI mode will play any game including the upcoming BF3 game. Again, AMD gpu's are awesome also, I just lean towards Nvidia cards.

008Rohit is right about the on board sound. You don't need anything else.

blarr

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

1. I literally had no clue that was the case. Thanks, just saved me $13 :]

2. Any particular reason aside from the fact it's just a better card(specs wise)

Yea I've always known Radeon as the budget graphics cards with the same performance as NVIDIA, before recently I would never buy an NVIDIA but since they just recently started making their high end cards affordable I might lean towards them. I still don't respect NVIDIA very much seeing as they can proudly market PhysX which is basically just a mod for certain games that, for some odd reason, requires a separate video card to run. Scam much?

^ Although that is the case, AS5 is defiantly a better thermal paste. One of the best in fact.

2. No you're correct going with the 560 Ti, it'll run just fine, the 6950 2GB performs rather better at higher resolutions, but at the cost of $40 more. ($220 vs $260). At $180 before rebates, that's a steal. It'll be a good buy and OC well. If possible, try and get the dual-fan EVGA 560 Ti, that'll run cooler and plus it's SOC'd stock or the extra cooling allows for more OC headroom. Check the price, I dunno how much it is on EVGA.com maybe it is cheaper than Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130651

Switch to this MB to save money, it'll perform around the same.
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502&Tpk=z68%20d3h

Dunno why you crossed it off but it is still $45 with promo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

blarr

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Crossed off means I already bought it, if there's an item I've been looking at for a while that goes on sale I almost always buy it. I was going to buy the Antec 900 when it was on sale for $90 after(free) shipping and promo code but missed it, now the price is $123 after shipping(no longer free, $13 or something and the promo is expired) and I've been kicking myself for not buying it when I had the chance.

Thanks a LOT for that motherboard! Saving me money AND I'm getting a Z68 now(so I can use the intel 3000 graphics to game for a month or two until the EVGA 560ti is back in stock for that ridiculous price)

blarr

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

1280x1024 is my current max resolution(going to replace this monitor around christmas time, same time I'll be getting my graphics card) so the i5-2500k integrated graphics should do just fine for playing most(if not all) games(even if the settings are terribly low, I have been playing WoW on the lowest settings @ 12 fps for about 5 years, I can live with the integrated graphics for a while lol).

Also, for both the mobos you've recommended I've seen reviews where people say they can't OC. I know they are both z68 but I can't buy a mobo that won't allow overclocking since I plan on doing it when I get my new HS&F.

Alright then the IGPU will be fine.
Don't trust all the idiots on Newegg. They might review like that, but in actually case. HE MUST be doing something wrong. Notice he hasn't tried to troubleshoot with Asrock, otherwise he would have the message the company sent to him trying to help him. Tried BIOS update yet? Nope he doesn't say.
I guarantee it'll OC. Newegg reviews are good if they are a competent person, if they are saying "DOA" or they just state what the problem is. Then they are just ignorant. They should be saying how the company responds and how they've trouble-shooted, not just state the obvious problem for them.

blarr

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

That's the one that was already recommended ;]

You're right, I'll give that board a try. Supports pcie3.0 & ivy bridge so I'm getting future proofed at a damn low price.

You wouldn't happen to know how the 550ti preforms versus the 560ti, would you? The 550ti is $100 on EVGA(They're out of stock too but it's $80 less then the 560 and gameplay videos on youtube show no real difference, and specs wise they aren't very different. I think SLI'ing two of these would be much smarter then the 560s)

blarr

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Don't worry about it :p I'm not home a whole lot so I use my Charge to browse the web all the time and it can get quite frustrating, still better than nothing.